Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kids helmets and goggles

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Getting both the kids (7 and 5) into skiing for the 1st time this upcoming season.

With clothing, I'm pretty certain at the rate my kids are growing that we will most likely only get 1 season out of their jackets. Might be lucky and get 2 out of trousers/salopettes.

But I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice/experience re how long a helmet and pair of goggles might last them in terms of growth at these ages?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My two used the same helmets and goggles for about 4 seasons, normally liberally coated in Snowheads stickers.
Look for simple clips - theres some really good magnetic ones which snap together just by putting the clasps next to each other and are really good for small fingers not getting trapped or when wearing mitts. Goggles will get scratched up and/or lost so don't spend big on those and have a pair or two in reserve.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eBay's a good hunting ground for clothing. Lots of other skiing parents out there with out-grown ski gear, often with only a week or two of wear behind it.

For helmets I'd probably just go with hire ones. Every child hire package I've seen includes a helmet for free these days and no worries about them outgrowing them (followed by the younger child having a holiday long tantrum when asked to use their elder's hand-me-down).

For goggles I wouldn't worry too much. Like gloves they are likely to be lost long before they are out-grown! Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aldi/Lidl have done Helmets and Goggles in the past..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We got some Decathlon helmets for ours and they have done 3 years but now too tight at 10 so need to get new ones. Looks like Decathlon stores have started getting the winter stock in so worth popping in.

Aldi is worth looking at although it soo hit and miss now they have removed online shopping.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Its not advisable to get secondhand or rent. You don’t know if the helmet has already been in an impact and been compromised.

New helmets don't have to be expensive. They all need to meet a basic standard so the more you pay doesn't mean better. Look for sales or Decathlon who do a good kids range.

If you want to get a few seasons out of them then look for the ones that are adjustable, get them with the adjustment at its smallest but make sure the fit is still good. Then adjust bigger as they grow until grown out of.

Then you can sell them on ebay to all those who would buy second hand.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We bought, after the first holiday. You can get several seasons out of a helmet, especially if it's got a size adjusting dial at the back. If it's your own, you know where its been and what has happened to it.
One year the kids sprayed their hair red for red nose day, on the last day of the holiday. The next year when my son put his helmet on, his hair came out red again. I pity the person who got our friend's daughter's hired helmet the following week...!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Columbia kids stuff is good as the jackets and salopettes have unpick able stitching in the arms and legs that allow them to be lengthened with nothing more than a knife. We are into Season 3 of our kids gear from one set.

We just rent helmets and I bought a reasonable looking pair of goggles of snowinn. Just looking now and they have kids Scott goggles on there for 16 quid each.

I bought some glove tethers too in order to stop the losing them problem.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We had our kids using visor helmets at that age and worked really well for many years. We found Cebe to have best visor in wet / snowy conditions. They have now reverted to goggles as older and fashion conscious.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Ozboy, +1. The cebe fireball jnr is often available for around £50 in various sales.

My kids have never outgrown a helmet in <5yrs, I’ve typically retired the helmets before size has been an issue.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My daughter has amazingly won the same helmet since she started skiing 13 years ago (now 16)!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy