Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GW Boots and ski hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm going to get my daughter her first ski boots. Do GW boots cause issues when hiring skis or am I better sticking with traditional soles?

Cheers....
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think all the skis at ski hire places are now GW compatible, and you'll be struggling to find skis that will fit traditional soles. Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MajorQ wrote:
I think all the skis at ski hire places are now GW compatible, and you'll be struggling to find skis that will fit traditional soles. Hope that helps.

That's surprising..... but I have my own kit so not up to date!

Thanks
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've had GW boots since last year and had no issues hiring last year or this in three different resorts from four different shops.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MajorQ wrote:

Don't think that's so much an issue. Boot sellers* not telling you your new boots will be incompatible with all your old skis or proactively offering to swap for a DIN sole is a much bigger problem AIUI.

* The problem being greater the more if a seller and less of a fitter it is.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GW has been around a while now and most bindings are compatible. If the hire shop doesn't have compatible bindings they're running a very old fleet of skis.......
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting -- so if you have your own boots (with older soles), but hire skis - you may have a problem getting skis ???
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@albob, no, GW bindings are generally compatible with alpine norm also, so no problem there.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@mgrolf, Thanks... (phew!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
this is a discussion we have had with pretty much every customer for the past 6 years

any binding produced in the past 6 possibly 7 years (other than a race binding) should be gripwalk compatible
gripwalk bindings will all accept older style alpine 5355 soles

the problem comes when people are still using older style bindings, right now alpine 5355 soles are still available for most boot models', they are definitely becoming harder to get hold of and within a few years will be gone completely, but please don't have a go at the stores for you using an old pair of skis, we don't get an option as to if a boot has gripwalk or alpine 5355 soles on it, it is the new norm, just like VHS and Betamax one takes over the other fades away and pretty quickly
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy