Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas week ideas - Italy or Austria maybe

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for inspiration for Christmas week. Family ski holiday for intermediate skiers- happy on all pistes, kids are teens and tweens, good skiers but potentially keen to try snowboarding but want to also ski with us a few days. We like skiing all day, every day, so want a larger resort with a sense of travel but also good beginner options if kids decide to snowboard. We have skied in France ( La Plange, Tignes, Chamonix) and Italy ( Cervinia, La Thuile, Champoluc, Pila) and keen to try something new which is reasonably snowsure for early season. Apres and Cristmassy feel not a priority. Convenient accommodation ( self catering or hotel) is a must - don’t want a lot of walking and bussing around as kids get fed up) . So far we preferred Italy to France- cheaper and better food , also ski instructors more understanding of our adhd son. We have not tried Austria though or maybe Dolomites? Any recommendations welcome!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Any advice?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think because you answered your own question, no one has felt a need to reply further.

Dolomites sound ideal for you and there are many here you can ask about the specifics of different Dolomites resorts. Though no one can guarantee the "convenience" of what accommodation is available, that is for you to explore when booking.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@j b, thank you. What part of Dolomites would you recommend? Never been there so a little overwhelmed
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Bella2015, seconded on the Dolomites. If you're thinking you might want some easy slopes for learning snowboarding i'd probably look at Colfosco/Corvara/San Cassiano.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Seems like the answer to where to ski in Italy is always the Dolomites Very Happy

I’m having a look at Abruzzo as an alternative.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@swskier, thank you- are these well connected for the sense of travel? We are not planning to rent a car
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you're in the Dolomiti Superski area you have a greater lift-linked "sense of travel" than just about anywhere!! You couldn't cover it all in a week.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Bella2015, I see you mentioned self catering or hotel, a couple of years ago I and some friends stayed in an apartment in the Alpin apartment block in Colfosco. Very nice apartments and just a short walk probably 200 metres onto the slopes below the Sodlisia chairlift. I've given the link to their website, they are also on booking.com but check to see if you get a better deal booking directly with the apartments.

If you don't know Colfosco then the piste underneath the Sodlisia chair is a very gentle very wide blue piste and is directly on the Sella Ronda circuit. There's also a direct gondola link between Colfosco and Corvara that takes about 5 minutes.

In terms of travel arrangements Venice Marco Polo airport is the most popular airport for getting there and is well served by major airlines such as BA and Easyjet, or if you use Ryanair they fly into Venice Treviso airport which is actually about half an hour closer to the Dolomites. If you're not renting a car then Cortina Express do a daily bus service from Venice airport to Cortina bus station from where there are connections onwards to Corvara and Colfosco.

Alternatively if you want a private transfer then Venice Cab are about the best value I've found. You can see their rates here, note the prices are per taxi, not per person, so if there's 4 or 5 of you the price would be €320 each way.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 8-09-24 21:01; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Bella2015, what @swskier and @Alastair Pink say. For your party skiing any place will do, there is a huge area of lift-connected pistes that you won't possibly exhaust in a week. But if anyone is doing any beginner activity like snowboarding that sector around Corvara would be good simply because there is a network of blue runs to explore.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you all and @Alastair Pink, will definitely check out the apartment block looks like it may be good for us… have read that snowmaking is good in Dolomites but is this much riskier in early season ( from snow perspective) than typical high resorts e.g Cervinia?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bella2015, yes, snowmaking in the Dolomites Sella Ronda area is excellent and they have invested heavily in that and they are experts in maintaining the pistes even if the natural snowfall should be lacking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ster wrote:
Seems like the answer to where to ski in Italy is always the Dolomites Very Happy

not if you like fresh snow
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Bella2015, typical high resorts think cold>windy>white out>lift closures and nowhere to hide.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another option is Kronplatz near Alta Badia. It’s tended to be fully open by Christmas most years and its shelter means that it’s skiing is normally very reliable during early season. It is totally reliant on snow making. Last year it had a good start despite the mild weather in the western Alps. Who knows this year though ?
latest report
Brenta Dolomites?

Stay in Folgarida….plenty of hotels close to the uplift with some backing on to a blue piste.

Ski Folgarida to Madonna di Campiglio. Great sense of travel and, from your comments re ability, no-one should have an issue on the main red-link between Folgarida and Madonna. Regarding snow boarding learning, the station above Folgarida has an excellent area for beginners.

Some great slope-side restaurants and, generally, a really stunning ski area.
latest report
I agree with Italy - dolomites are the best place to ski in the world, mainly because the food is so superb and the pistes well taken care of. However Norway resorts such as Geilo or Trysil are reasonably snow sure as well for Xmas and the kids enjoyed learning to ski out there before moving on to Canada and Italy.
ski holidays
@Bella2015, I can recommend the Three Valleys in France. We went there last Christmas and got plenty of snow and sunshine and a huge variety of pistes. We went with Ski Famille and stayed in a chalet in Reberty/Les Menuires (which was great on all counts), but there are also lots of ski in ski out apartments and hotels available.
snow report
@Bella2015, Saalbach is a fairly obvious candidate. I’m about to spend my 19th consecutive Christmas there, and now find it difficult to imagine spending it anywhere else.
The ski area is huge, fully lift-linked, and 90% covered by snowmaking. The village is attractive and a nice place to spend Christmas.
Flight and transfer options are normally easy and inexpensive.
And there is a network of British apartment owners, who let attractive accommodation, including ski-in ski-out options (and I can point you in the direction of such an apartment that is available at Christmas).
P.M. me if you would like a copy of my own 20 page, comprehensive guide to the resort.
latest report
@tatmanstours, Thank you so much! This sounds fabulous- and a new frontier for us to explore, will pm you now
latest report
@Motherofthree, thank you, this is also on my list!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy