Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gloves

Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,

my hands are more and more prone to getting very cold when skiing.
Setup last year were Eska mittens with thin merino liners and heat pads if needed. This worked OK but not always great.

What are, in your experience, the warmest

-finger gloves
-mittens

I was eying BD Mercury and Guide respectively.

Sizing advice also welcome. I am a glove size 9 in all major brands.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mitts are warmer.

danbre2022 wrote:
I was eying BD Mercury and Guide respectively.
I have the BD Mercury mitts. Only used them in warmish conditions so far. They're not as bulky as down-filled mitts, so you can certainly get warmer, but I expect they'll be fine. Last year I rode an empty resort in minus 38... that was in Mountain Equipment Citadel Mitts. The Citadels were warmer I'm sure, but the construction left them open to damage from seatbelt fasters (I kid you not). The Mercury are more subtle looking and have more leather-ish stuff and don't suffer from that specific problem.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I also have the BD Mercury mitts, and find them so warm that I've only worn them once as they were too hot.

The missus gets really cold hands and she wore them once even though they're way too big for her, and had no issues of cold hands at all, for the first time while skiing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Black Diamond Guide gloves work for me https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_GB/product/guide-gloves/

On my second pair, first pair the inner got packed out after 20(?) or so years use!

Edit to add my knowledge/assumption is mitts are warmer than gloves, but not skied in Mitts myself.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 10-10-23 11:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My son really struggles with cold hands (Reynards) and he LOVES these
https://bananafingers.co.uk/black-diamond-soloist-finger-gloves?countryCode=GB&currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw7JOpBhCfARIsAL3bobfxNxRQ7xoDABNXUyFRFtJXiXNlJjwW1IQxLqVDB-iq_qdN6BL6urcaAhuhEALw_wcB
THey are like mitts with a separate forefinger. The forefinger makes them a lot more dextrous but you can fit all your fingers in the mitt bit if you get very cold.
They have made a big difference and we's already trued heated gloves, handwarmers etc.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I suffer a lot with cold hands. I used to have Outdoor Research expedition mitts, which were good, but I'm now using Marmot 8000 Meter Mitt which I prefer.
I've tried various electric gloves as well, but the Marmots are the warmest glove I've used.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I struggled too with the cold but v good re - inners pls Dakine Baron or Dakine Galaxy.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@danbre2022, if you're finding it's getting worse, it may well be Reynaud's. So it will just get worse.

Our experience with Mrs U is that active heating is now necessary - it's been a long, long time since heated tea bags were at all helpful (although still carried for emergencies).

So she has (Mens') Hestra Army Heli mitts for deepest winter and gloves for spring, always over heated glove liners. Hestras are preferred as the powder gauntlet is big enough to cover the battery packs. Nothing else found works for that (nor do womens' Hestras).

She also has Lenz heated socks under thick merino socks to keep her toes the right colour.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My Wife doesn't deal with the cold well. She sports snazzy Reusch Lindsey Vonn signature gloves(a steal on TK Maxx wink ), other than when the temperatures tumble, then out come the BD Mercurys. She swears by them.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Check out the Snowshepherd Antarctic Mitts, not going to get much warmer than that!

https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/store/Snowshepherd-Antarctic-Expedition-Mittens-p523667217

The special Snowheads 50 quid off code was still working last time I checked.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got a pair of Kinco mitts from The Piste Office and tbh for most skiing i find them too warm
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We have got Hestras but gloves rather than mits.
Like how they are put together
I have not tried the others folk have listed above though to compare
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for the BD Mercury mitts, they're great when it's really cold (-20 C). Just too warm at more normal temperatures.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also OP, in my experience glove liners do the opposite to what you'll hope they'll do. I bought a nice pair of Icebreaker merino liners for those proper cold days. When they finally came into action my hands were colder with the liners on than off. Trapped air is clearly more effective than a thin layer of wool. The answer is in the glove/mitt not add ons I feel.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Mollerski, I can assure you, heated liners definitely work! Also, my unheated silk liners work for me on very cold days.
snow conditions
As I've got older increasingly I get uncomfortably cold hands and feet, so I've started to use heated gloves (and socks) so I'm no longer aware of painful fingers (and toes). Battery-powered heated gloves might be an option for people who struggle with cold hands. Lenz offer a range of different options, including lobster mitts, gauntlet gloves and regular mitts. Some of the models have the heating elements and battery compartments built in to removable liners, others have the heating system built in to the gloves. The removable liners allow you to mix and match, e.g. I can use the liners from the Lenz lobster mitts with the Hestra lobster mitts if I want, although the Lenz outers are pretty sturdy so there's no particular need to switch.

The heating elements run around all the fingers and thumb, which I think works better than the disposable chemical packs, those tea bag things, which typically sit in the palm of your hand. The batteries sit in a glove pocket on the inside of your wrists (so don't squash against your watch), and are easily attached by snap-in connectors. They are recharged from any USB outlet, and the level of heat can be controlled with a button on the battery or by an iOS/Android app on your phone via Bluetooth. Battery packs come in a range of capacities with the largest capacity easily lasting all day on a fairly high setting, although I find the highest settings too warm, even on a very cold day.

As a disclaimer, I should mention I've received a pro discount on the Lenz heated products so my recommendation should be seen in that context. Nevertheless, it's still brilliant kit wink
latest report
Mollerski wrote:
Also OP, in my experience glove liners do the opposite to what you'll hope they'll do. I bought a nice pair of Icebreaker merino liners for those proper cold days. When they finally came into action my hands were colder with the liners on than off. Trapped air is clearly more effective than a thin layer of wool. The answer is in the glove/mitt not add ons I feel.

If your glove / liner combo is too tight, this will happen.

I used to cycle to work in all weathers, suffer from cold hands and can testify that silk liners under "normal gloves" work as long as you have a small air gap to trap it.

In very cold weather, lobster claws are 100% the way to go. My Sealskinz ones are the warmest garment I possess.............
snow conditions
JanetS loves her SnowSheperd 3 finger gloves - https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/store/3-FINGER-GLOVES-c144320327
I also use other SnowSheperd gloves - incredibly durable and long lasting, have lasted several full seasons, hundreds of days skiing.
latest report
RobinS wrote:
JanetS loves her SnowSheperd 3 finger gloves - https://www.snowshepherd.co.uk/store/3-FINGER-GLOVES-c144320327
I also use other SnowSheperd gloves - incredibly durable and long lasting, have lasted several full seasons, hundreds of days skiing.

Bought a pair of the three finger mitts today at the Snow Show, can't wait to try them out in the snow.
latest report
RobinS wrote:
JanetS loves her SnowSheperd 3 finger gloves .

I somehow hear Terry Wogan saying this. Confused
snow report
Mitten type are warmer as the surface area of a hand keeps the cold out more than individual fingers + there is room for them handwarmer packs
ski holidays
wow, that's a buch of great input. thanks.

from the options widely available around here (austria),

how much warmth difference is there say between BD Mercury and a Hestra Heli 3 Finger?

How clumsy are BD Mercurys when it comes to pole handling, adjusting daughters boots, picking up skis etc?
ski holidays
danbre2022 wrote:
wow, that's a buch of great input. thanks.

from the options widely available around here (austria),

how much warmth difference is there say between BD Mercury and a Hestra Heli 3 Finger?

How clumsy are BD Mercurys when it comes to pole handling, adjusting daughters boots, picking up skis etc?

My Daughter has the Mercury Mitt and the Hestra Heli Mitt....and the Mercury Mitt is apparently warmer. She has Reynauds, so finds heated Glove Liners (Blazewear) the best solution. Dexterity is what is sacrificed for warmth with the Mercury Mitt....certainly compared to Hestra. The BD Soloist Finger Gloves from Banana Fingers linked to above look very similar, but would give a little more dexterity.

This is the cheapest Mercury Mitts I've come across if the sizes suit: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Diamond-Mercury-Gloves-X-Large/dp/B00LFL7BJG/ref=d_pd_sbs_sccl_2_1/258-3562478-0663205?pd_rd_w=RfR7p&content-id=amzn1.sym.35f2c042-27ab-4aa8-8df6-255fec069b2b&pf_rd_p=35f2c042-27ab-4aa8-8df6-255fec069b2b&pf_rd_r=8G8NMNJYPYS6H8THTNEJ&pd_rd_wg=8nFCR&pd_rd_r=97b914e4-57ba-43fd-bb38-998cb7ee49e8&pd_rd_i=B00LFL7BJG&th=1&psc=1&tag=amz07b-21

Last year, I bought some Reusch Explorer Pro Lobster Mitts from TK Maxx, which are really warm - I would say considerably warmer than my fairly old Hestra Heli Goretex Gloves.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 18-10-23 20:38; edited 4 times in total
snow report
If you use heat packs, put them on the back of your hand, not the palm. Your grip is thus not affected, and the heat is where the blood is, where its needed. Some gloves have pockets for this purpose, and they're on the back of the glove.

Hestra gloves fit and work great but are definitely not the warmest.

As has been mentioned, if you don't have room for liners but use them anyway, both they and your gloves are not being allowed to do their job, which is to trap air.

Whatever you wear, when its cold, leave the damn things on. Answer the phone later!

If you are underdressed anywhere else, you'll have cold hands and feet anyway. Think systematically.
ski holidays
So THAT'S what those pockets on the back of the gloves are for!
I thought it's for putting your magnetic ski pass in to speed up getting through turnstiles, and for keeping some emergency money for apres drinkies. Every day is a schoolday.
snow report
Nope, they are for the hidden knuckledusters to aid you getting through lift queues.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, how are the blazewear liners? Has she had them long, how’s battery life and longevity of the glove/heating element?
snow report
kitenski wrote:
@Old Fartbag, how are the blazewear liners? Has she had them long, how’s battery life and longevity of the glove/heating element?

UANN can give better feedback as his wife used them for much longer periods....but now has Lenz (I think).

My Daughter has only used them for a couple of holidays. They work well, but if wanting to go all day, would need a spare set of batteries. At the end of our last holiday in January the charger gave up. The company had a very recent change of owner and when I tracked him down, explained the situation, he sent me a new one FOC, provided I paid the postage.

We got these on the back of UANN's recommendation.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, see above Smile What heated liners does Mrs U use? Was looking at Lenz heated gloves and socks which add up cost wise but I guess you pay for quality! I've got BG guide gloves so if I could get heated liners and keep them that would be the best of both worlds I hope!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@under a new name, see above Smile What heated liners does Mrs U use? Was looking at Lenz heated gloves and socks which add up cost wise but I guess you pay for quality! I've got BG guide gloves so if I could get heated liners and keep them that would be the best of both worlds I hope!

After giving my head a wobble, I remembered that I put up the thread linked to below, where UANN said his wife now uses "Snow Deer" as a Glove Liner (sorry I was wrong about Lenz). I think these are the ones: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SNOW-DEER-Rechargeable-Electric-Motorcycling/dp/B0CHP3BHT2/ref=sr_1_8?crid=1QDNIHE1LNSFH&keywords=snowdeer%2Bheated%2Bglove%2Bliners&qid=1697740913&sprefix=snowdeer%2Bheated%2Bglove%2Bliners%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-8&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.cc223b57-2b86-485c-a85e-6431c1f06c86&th=1&tag=amz07b-21

I'm sure he will be able to give an update when he surfaces.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5084158&highlight=blazewear#5084158
snow report
@Old Fartbag, cheers that link from amazon just scored me a pair of mercury mitts!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 24-12-23 17:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@Old Fartbag, that link from amazon just scored me a pair of mercury mitts for £28.60 Smile From the warehouse so probably a return but chuffed with that! They've just turned up and look brand new with tags on etc.

Excellent, that is a stonking deal.

I was delighted when I bought the Lady's version for my Daughter at a cost of £58 in Dec '19....I think from the same source.
snow report
and I also spotted this when reading the review of the Black Diamond heated gloves...something to be very aware of!

ski holidays
@kitenski, struggling to understand how that might happen? dc current Puzzled
ski holidays
You can check that effect yourself easy enough with a transceiver.
snow report
@under a new name, no idea, just the messenger, it was mentioned a few times when I was searching and the fact Black Diamond sew it into their gloves gives it credence IMHO. Its in the small print here but no reason!

https://blackdiamond-web.cdn.prismic.io/blackdiamond-web/7cce25a8-7bdf-4553-a59f-bcb0ecde31e3_M12329_B_Solano_IS-OUT.pdf
snow conditions
Can anybody say what a Size 9 (Euro Glove Size) Hand translates to for BD Mercury or Soloist?

Reusch make a few glove rated "the warmest". Has anybody got experience with these? E.g. the Down Spirit?

Thanks!
snow conditions
danbre2022 wrote:
Can anybody say what a Size 9 (Euro Glove Size) Hand translates to for BD Mercury or Soloist?

Reusch make a few glove rated "the warmest". Has anybody got experience with these? E.g. the Down Spirit?

Thanks!

I would expect a Size 9 to be an M or M/L, as that is what all my gloves have been so far....but don't take that as Gospel.

I have some Reusch Explorer Pro Lobster which are labelled as "Extra Warm" - and they are. Down filled mitts labelled "Warmest", are warmer again.
This gives a lot of info on their Gloves: https://www.reusch.com/int/en/winter-world/technologie-winter/

The Warmest

The warmest gloves in the Reusch collection. All gloves belonging to this category feature high-quality down or extra-volume insulation.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy