Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyway to guess if there will be snow in Chatel a week before Christmas?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,
We are tempted to book that week but are not sure if there will be snow or not, and the place we'll stay at won't do refunds...
We've been there in February this year and the 'made snow' and it was fine, everything worked as planned while Avroiz was closed.

I understand that with global warming this is an open question, but any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thank you!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can guess, but won't know if your guess is correct until that week Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crystal ball, Peter the Octopus, Nostradamus - any number of ways of guessing and no way of knowing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok I get it,
How do you guys handle the this of booking stuff in advance that's not refundable?

Is there any 'now snow' insurance that could cover stuff like renting a place? Most other expenses are more flexible.

Thank you,
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're looking at the week of 16th to 23rd December, just wait until you know where the snow is. There'll be plenty of last minute accommodation available in most places that week.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BlueJoy, just take the chance. No snow on your travel insurance pays something like £15 a day.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RobMcQ wrote:
If you're looking at the week of 16th to 23rd December, just wait until you know where the snow is. There'll be plenty of last minute accommodation available in most places that week.

Thank you,
This is a specific place we stayed at last time which was really great, I don't want it booked...
Can II ask roughly when we can expect snow in Chatel? So we can perhaps have an indication of how the season will play out?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BlueJoy wrote:
RobMcQ wrote:

Thank you,
This is a specific place we stayed at last time which was really great, I don't want it booked...
Can II ask roughly when we can expect snow in Chatel? So we can perhaps have an indication of how the season will play out?

As others have said there is absolutely no way of knowing. It snowed a fair bit in late November last year and the opening weekend (about 10/12) in Avoriaz was fine. Then it rained and got very warm over xmas and a lot of the snow disappeared. It’s simply not possible to predict.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Understood - Thank you
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BlueJoy wrote:
Hello,
We are tempted to book that week but are not sure if there will be snow or not, and the place we'll stay at won't do refunds...
We've been there in February this year and the 'made snow' and it was fine, everything worked as planned while Avroiz was closed.

I understand that with global warming this is an open question, but any thoughts or ideas are welcome.

Thank you!

Avoriaz was closed last Feb?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Most years will have snow and skiing 16-23 December. Whether this year will....no-one knows.

And the plan is only partial opening: https://en.chatel.com/opening-dates-and-hours.html
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm hoping to go 2nd or 9th of December but there's no way I'll book anything until I've seen where and if the snows landed.
If there's nothing suitable I'll look later in the year....there's no way of knowing!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Handy Turnip wrote:

Not while I was there in Feb it wasn't.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was in the PDS over Christmas last year. It was very warm and wet. Les Gets and I believe Chatel may have almost completely closed for skiing. I remember that due to a landslide, one of the major lifts out of Chatel had to close due to damage. There was still plenty of skiing higher up over that time. I believe last year was unseasonably warm, but mid December can always be a gamble unless going 2000m or higher.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BlueJoy, if you want to book things up, I'd recommend going somewhere else where you've got a much better chance of stuff being open. Tignes or Val Thorens for example.
snow report
porkpiefox wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Avoriaz didn’t close at all during the planned opening - the way back to Super Morzine was shut at times but it was open 11/12 to mid April.
ski holidays
porkpiefox wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Possible the link between Chatel and Avoriaz was closed, as opposed to the Avroiaz area itself being closed - though I was in Morzine one of the Feb. weeks for half term and didn't have any issues getting up to Avoriaz and then over to Plaine Dranse. Possible there were issues around the Linga slope so the gondola was closed the the OP didn't know about/couldn't be bothered with the bus up to Pre la Joux?

Regardless can you guarantee snow that week? No, but then you probably want to look inside the arctic/antartic circles for guarantee snow.
But should you have a reasonable expectation of snow that week? Yes, at least some. How much/how much of the resort/PdS area will be open and linked is down to the weather gods, but I was in Morzine for opening week of the '16 season when the Pleney run was still green...but a bus to Pordains/gondola up to Avoriaz and there was snow (on empty piests).
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm hoping to go 2nd or 9th of December

Not to Chatel, presumably, where pistes only open on 16 December (like lots of smaller resorts).
ski holidays
Go as high as poss.

At least 1800m for France.

Global boiling is making Xmas snow less and less certain with every passing year.
latest report
BlueJoy wrote:
How do you guys handle the this of booking stuff in advance that's not refundable?

Generally speaking I book places that I can guarantee will be open. Paradiski, 3V, Tignes/Val D, ADH. One year I booked Les Sept Laux, it was a bad start to the season and they didn't open. Fortunately it was a direct rental, I'd only paid a deposit and the owner said I could pay the balance on arrival. I just got an apartment in Tignes instead. IME of going many times at Christmas and just before places not opening on time is a rarity but happens sometimes - but never at the ones I mentioned above - rather they just might have limited (man made only) pistes lower down. Unfortunately I don't know Chatel/PdS though I seem to remember poor snow means some of the links get broken which can limit things but not necessarily stop altogether.

BlueJoy wrote:
Is there any 'now snow' insurance that could cover stuff like renting a place? Most other expenses are more flexible.

First trip after Covid the agency I was booking through had a 30 Euro cancellation fee which we took out. I think they still offer it but I haven't bothered since.

I get you like the place but as others mention that is a quiet week and there will be plenty of options close to the date.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm hoping to go 2nd or 9th of December

Not to Chatel, presumably, where pistes only open on 16 December (like lots of smaller resorts).

Pré la Joux area is open for the weekend 9/10 Dec but I assume closed through the week.
ski holidays
I wouldn’t … unless you want to spend the next 8 weeks worrying and looking at webcams / forecasts every 3 hours. No one has any idea what early season in the PdS would look like. I would definitely be looking at higher resorts such as Zermatt, Val Thorens, Tignes etc. if you’re dead keen on booking now then you should do so with the understanding that only Avoriaz may have snow … in which case it’d be busier than normal. And I’m not quite sure whether you’d be able to upload to Lindarets if that was the case. Basically, early season skiing is becoming increasingly unpredictable …
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy