Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix summer23

Poster: A snowHead
https://www.facebook.com/100001577536685/posts/pfbid02oppQXtaLXonTUEHq4P8kcVFi38b4X944uRUf1HcpMdmDAebWYXNvjue7JnyvEKLUl/
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've said it before but it's absolutely unbelievable to me that any resort takes so long to replace one of its marquee lifts. Especially when they continue to increase lift passes.

I know a much smaller scale, but Kimberley had their lift hut burned down and had the lift back up running by the following season.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boarder2020, it’s actually really quite complicated?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, I'm not saying it's easy. Also we've had COVID. However, 6 years to replace one of the most famous lifts in a resort seems way too long. Especially when I'm presuming they got a nice insurance payout and have continued to increase lift ticket prices while it's not been running.

Again, different situations, but after the fire at Kimberly they bought in snowcats to move people around the mountain.

I don't think it would pass for resorts in n America to leave their marquee lift out of action for 6 years. It feels very gallic shrug, keep paying while we offer you less and we will replace it when it suits us.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Our own efforts with the Cairngorm funicular are rather less impressive Sad The Grands Montets is one of the longest cableways in the world and very exposed. They are likely to move quickly now that they have a plan.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@boarder2020, the insurance companies only agreed to pay out last year iirc
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh and apparently the geology for the top station is proving challenging (glacier, melting, etc.)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It was only the bottom station burnt down though? Couldn't they have just restrung a new cable car on the same pylons. I guess an upgrade also made sense. But agree on the timescales. Jackson Hole tram was down for a season IIRC. Other replacements like Penkenbahn in Mayrhofen have been done over a summer.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Dave of the Marmottes, i don’t recall the reason but there is one. AFAIK it’s not actually the CdMB’s fault.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Dave of the Marmottes, also, on user numbers it's not actually an upgrade rolling eyes

Although, thinking about it, given that the continuing existence of the two pistes off the top benne being very much in question, maybe that's nozt such an issue.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 11-08-23 13:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If my memory serves me well the biggest factor in the whole delay was insurance and who exactly should pay for the replacement in light of the fact that an inadequately insured subcontractor burned the place down.

A very expensive project requiring a pay out.

@Dave of the Marmottes, The lift was two stage and it was the mid station which was consumed. I may be mistaken, but I think that a consequence of such an intense blaze was that the cables caused some damage to the foundations of the top station. There was no cheap simple solution. It appears that the price of an updated system with higher capacity cannot have been much different to reinstating the 40 year old original.

The top is 3300m and notwithstanding that the permafrost is not so perma, it can only be approached by glacier, which also constrains where the supporting towers can be safely located.

All in all a complex business.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@HammondR, exactly.

I think you're right regarding the cables. BUt it's not going to have higher capacity, as I understand it?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@under a new name, scratching my head about that. I have a picture in my head of a learned discussion on here about the capacity of the new top lift and the conclusion was that the planned new one would in practice shift more people than the old.

I can however now find nothing at all which supports this “picture “

I therefore unequivocally withdraw my capacity fake news. One thing that does seem certain is that the new lift will be more comfortable with seating all mod cons.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.skiweekend.com/blog/first-images-of-the-new-grands-montets-lift-released-feb-2022-update

https://groupe-ecomedia.com/les-grands-montets-une-realisation-emblematique/
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We were on that cable car going up to the top of Grand Montets approx 10 days before the fire. I’d been up that lift several times before and up onto and skiid on very high glaciers and had no issues with heights before.
Going up GM in late Aug 2018 I felt an amazing sense of dread and fear, something I had never felt before or since in any way whatsoever. So much so that I had to sit on the floor of the cable car on the way up to the top, and then on the way back down (and while at the top). I could not explain it, I wasn’t ill or altitude sickness. My wife and daughter were really worried about me . We got down and I got a beer and was shaking !

Could not explain it, we went up the other lifts that week with no similar.
When I heard the fire news it just made me wonder about weird things
snow report
@sev112, Sounds similar to my experience a couple of yrs ago at the top of the Marmolada. Decided it was the sudden increase in altitude, so not altitude sickness as such, but related. I got the car back down to the next stop and skied down with no further issues.
snow conditions
The icemelt at the top of Chamonix now is horrific. Permafrost turning to water. The top half of that tram is not easy to build.

Base station looks a bit of a vanity project.
snow report
https://www.facebook.com/571930736/posts/pfbid02nYETJHmUXgoBnAiF5dEVQXas6m1N8FnNHLUhuL6wMPTCQETKr63XtZHzrrd8twfyl/?
snow report
https://www.worldradio.ch/news/bites

MB tunnel closure delayed a year.
ski holidays
@jbob, official confirmation awaited on Monday.
latest report
MB Tunnel closed from today 16/10 for nine weeks opens 18/12.
ski holidays
https://en.chamonix.com/road-conditions
snow report
@jbob, luckily we got (most of) our new kitchen delivered from Italy on Friday, phew!!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy