Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fashionable skiwear for a 188cm (6'2") tall man?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey there, I'm in the market for a new pair of everything and I'm looking to buy quality stuff that (1) lasts and (2) looks great on me. Money isn't much of a factor here, I'm willing to spend as much as it takes. I'm a 188cm tall man who is on the slimmer side - what brands should I be looking at?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Norrona brand. Check their Lofoten range for example.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hard to go past a flannel shirt for versatility style and practicality.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I’m a slim 6’ and pretty much everything from Norrona in medium fits me, but it depends whether your height comes from your legs or torso.

Similarly most things from Arcteryx in medium also fit. I wouldn’t say that either one is particularly a ‘fashion’ brand, as they are definitely form and function over fashion.

If you are in the UK Ellis-Brigham and Cotswold Outdoor usually have a small range of high quality brands. If you are in London you’ll have a much wider choice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

most things from Arcteryx in medium also fit

?? I'm 168cms and medium Arc (well, my Proton jacket) fits me Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
When you say fashionable, what do you mean? What's fashionable to the kids in the parks is totally different to the guys out ski touring....

Do you want to dress like the kids? like an affluent European? Or like a seasoned backcountry guy?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

Their sizing may have changed as I just realised I haven’t bought anything from Arcteryx for more than 15 years, so their sizing may have changed. I still have my Sidewinder and Stinger jackets going strong, but now used for non-skiing duties.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
tomb wrote:

Do you want to dress like the kids? like an affluent European? Or like a seasoned backcountry guy?

When I read the OP my impression was that he wanted it to look like he’d spent a lot of money. To what particular end I don’t know.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Fiveby21, go on…go full Dope Snow
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Fiveby21, decathlon.com ...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@PowderAdict, not that much!! My 2004 Gamma is a small ...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JayRo wrote:
tomb wrote:

When I read the OP my impression was that he wanted it to look like he’d spent a lot of money. To what particular end I don’t know.

Well as someone who's spent far too much on gear over the years I can sympathise rolling eyes

Admittedly, I have come full circle and now tend to buy kit I know I'm going to be comfortable in. I rarely ski in goretex and this year have got my jacket and pants from Rab in there proprietary material. I do however have a trusted Arc' teryx softshell jacket and a Helly insulated jacket which I always take.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
This has been covered before and the ONLY way for effortless style on the slopes is through capes. The real question is what style of cape you'll need and the robustness of ski pole required to beat off the adoring masses of hotness
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Fiveby21, Montec ..... https://www.montecwear.com/ snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
@PowderAdict,
Quote:

Indeed Shocked Shocked

I'm 188cm, 86kg and Arcteryx medium. has and still does fit me perfectly Toofy Grin
ski holidays
@Fiveby21, "Mammut" ski clothes are excellent quality with good dimensions for tall frame.

Very good detailing, materials, cut and longevity in my experience.

Agree with "Lofoten" products as well, both of them offer very good ski equipment.
snow report
Richard_Sideways wrote:
This has been covered before and the ONLY way for effortless style on the slopes is through capes. The real question is what style of cape you'll need and the robustness of ski pole required to beat off the adoring masses of hotness

Followed a kids ski school down in Nendaz, all with a cape fixed but also held in each hand to "operate" said cape. When the instructor leading deployed his they all followed in a cascading line to slow themselves down .

Just looked really fun and nice speed control on a fast run from the top down to village, like little bats all tanking it down the piste.
snow report
Look at Norrona black/black. Not the crazy colour stuff. Arcteryx is amazing quality, but sooo boring imv.
snow conditions
tomb wrote:
When you say fashionable, what do you mean? What's fashionable to the kids in the parks is totally different to the guys out ski touring....

I also think there's often a huge difference between two of his criteria - wearing the latest fashions, which of course means repeating this exercise every year, is absolutely not the same thing as 'looking good'. OP needs to realise the difference and decide which one it i he wants to be.

For the former you just need to think like the stereotypical Russian, the more money you spend on the branding the better, just find the most expensive gear you can find and throw it azway at the end of the season. Doesn't really matter if it's any good, it's not as if you're going to do much skiing in it anyway.

Otherwise, IMO, it should be driven by functionality. getting matching colours is acceptable, but generally speaking wearing the same brand matching stuff head to toe makes you look like a but of a dick. There is a subspecies of Swiss skier known as Mammut Man who does just this and they always make me laugh. Oddly, some of them can actually ski as well.
ski holidays
Nobody mentioned Bogner or Moncler yet. Happy
latest report
Well given that "I've tried really hard" is a deeply uncool look in anything (though surpassed by "I've tried really hard and money was no object") I think the OP should post a photo of himself looking good, just to avoid any more silly suggestions. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Fiveby21 wrote:
Hey there, I'm in the market for a new pair of everything and I'm looking to buy quality stuff that (1) lasts and (2) looks great on me. Money isn't much of a factor here, I'm willing to spend as much as it takes. I'm a 188cm tall man who is on the slimmer side - what brands should I be looking at?

Don’t buy in the U.K. The domestic market is dominated by Snow & Rock and Ellis Brigham, and a few independents.

Treat yourself to a weekend in a city near the mountains - Munich would be a great choice. You'll see a far better range of gear, and, like you, the Germans have a tendency to be on the tall side.
snow report
@GlasgowCyclops, damn right. All the minted visitors around Chamonix seem to think that they look fashionable in Moncler. Seems like duct tape, tenacious tape and Peter Storm cag’s have lost their cachet of late.
snow report
Wot @telford_mike says. The British market is very limited compared to the rest of Europe, and seems to be mostly insulated (read: too warm) skiwear from a limited selection of brands. My partner is the same height as the op, but with the added complication of Inspector Gadget arms. He has had the most success with Norrøna, Dynafit and Patagonia. His Burton stuff is fine too, but “baggy teenager” may not be the desired look!

Innsbruck also has a good range of skiwear shops, and could be combined with a trip to the mountains wink
snow report
Fusalp if you want the more understated luxury look. Great quality and fit but not cheap.
snow conditions
If you don't want to look like a Russian Oligarch, trying but failing to smile, keep a low profile or ski to any competent level, look at Peak Performance. Quality scandi clobber that has style rather
snow conditions
Scarlet wrote:
Wot @telford_mike says. The British market is very limited compared to the rest of Europe, and seems to be mostly insulated (read: too warm) skiwear from a limited selection of brands. My partner is the same height as the op, but with the added complication of Inspector Gadget arms. He has had the most success with Norrøna, Dynafit and Patagonia. His Burton stuff is fine too, but “baggy teenager” may not be the desired look!

Innsbruck also has a good range of skiwear shops, and could be combined with a trip to the mountains wink

I like the colors & patterns on the Burton jackets, but yes I am very much trying to avoid the baggy teenager look lol.
latest report
tomb wrote:

I'd like the fit to be good, the colors & patterns to be interesting, and for it to have an all-around good quality. I need it to last for a long time as well - I'm not the kind of person who would want to buy new ski gear every year...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. Moncler
2. Bogner
3. Prada

Moncler for the jacket.
Bogner for the hat.
Prada for the skis.
ski holidays
I don’t like to brag, and I prefer to keep pics of me for my only fans page but…..

About the same height and build. Proof right here that a flannel shirt is the ultimate in back country style, whilst still being very functional. Paired with a well seasoned merino thermal it will work on the slopes, in the pub, great for fishing and even for a tinder date with the hot milf from the pie shop. Food, beer and blood don’t really show that bad, hardly ever needs washing, and it’s a timeless piece of clothing that will look cool for many years to come.

snow report
@hang11, can we get that line voice-overed either by Matt Berry or some AI-powered ghost of Telly Savalas.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy