Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing Europe March 2024 3Valles and Zermatt or ValDisere

Poster: A snowHead
Hi SnowHeads,

For many years skiing the 3Valles has been a dream of mine. I've skied Patagonia many many times, USA, Japan, NZ and Australia, but Europe is a big bucket list destination. I managed to finally convince my partner to get there and I feel she would love to get back into skiing after a looong time (we haven't skied together yet after a 5 year relationship).

I'm planning for us to ski from 1/3/24 to 15/3/24. For now, I have booked two hotels: 7 nights at St Martin Meribel (Lodji) and 7 nights Zermatt (Alpen Resort Hotel). I have so many questions, but basically I would like to know:

- Is Meribel 3Valles and Zermatt a good combination? I have a friend instructor at ValD so the other option was one week 3V and one week ValD. I know is not the most practical, but I thought that after 7 days skiing we could use one day to transit between places.

- If the above is not too crazy. Is hiring a car a crazy idea?

- I'm coming from Australia and planning to bring my ski's and would probably get my partner to buy her's so we don't have to go and rent. If the car option is recommended, it may not be a bad idea to have our own ski's.

- Would they be "snow sure" in early March? We won't be that fussy about the quality of the snow. We just want to ski blues and reds all day long, make some stops for coffee, lunch etc.. and experience cool views.

Thanks in advance for your questions!

Cheers,

Ernesto
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fellow Australian here. I think your current plan is very good. I found the 3 Vallees quiet different in atmosphere from Zermatt so you will enjoy the contrast. Your hotel in St Martin looks really nice. Staying in St Martin you have two lifts to a ridge that gives you access to Meribel on the left, Les Menuires and Val Thorens on the right. St Martin is more a village that gives easy access to the rest of the skiing, but is at the end of the Jerusalem piste which is a great run to finish the day, but there is only way one back. March will be high season so expect the 3 Vallees to be quite busy but probably the best month for snow as it has accumulated for three months.

If you are transferring in one day it is quite a day of travelling to get to Zermatt. The best way would be a bus/shuttle transfer to Geneva then the train. Definitely a full day but Zermatt will be worth it.

I wouldn't swap Val D for either resort. I've spent two weeks in the 3 Vallees, (staying in Les Menuires) two weeks in Zermatt (inlcuding Jan this year) and one week in Val D. Val D is on my list to revisit but I definitely preferred the skiing in the 3 Vallees. Zermatt is in a different league to basically anywhere else in the world so don't swap that out.

Depending where you are flying in a and out of might affect the decision, but I wouldn't bother with a car. You can't park at Zermatt anyway and once you get to Geneva the train will be more efficient and relaxing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
3V's to Val d'Isere isn't a bad journey, probably do able by public transport reasonably easy enough.

3V's to Zermatt is a trek though. Even driving you're probably looking around 6+ hours, shortest route is probably via Chamonix and over the pass down to Martigny, then it's another 1.5-2hours or so to Täsch where you'll then need to take the train to Zermatt.

You'll have a good time in which ever combo you pick. If those 3 areas aren't snowsure, then virtually nowhere in Europe will be at that time of the season!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rdk wrote:

If you are transferring in one day it is quite a day of travelling to get to Zermatt. The best way would be a bus/shuttle transfer to Geneva then the train. Definitely a full day but Zermatt will be worth it.

+1

The train from Geneva to Zermatt takes 4 hours, but it's a very relaxing journey. The views across lake Geneva are quite special.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I have booked two hotels: 7 nights at St Martin Meribel (Lodji)

Saint Martin de Belleville is not Meribel. Meribel is a different village in a differnt valley. St Martin is a beautiful village at one corner of the 3 valleys with beautiful pistes leading to it. It also offers excellent access to the rest of the 3 Valleys.

The first week of March is, perhaps, the height of the winter for snow cover, but it is also half term school holidays so will be a bit busy in the 3 valleys. I would have chosen the week in Zermatt first then to the 3 valleys. But if you have already booked the hotels I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Personally I wouldn't hire a car but get the train from Moutiers to Zermattt. Currently there is a train leaving Moutiers at 06:49 getting in to Zermatt at 14:14. Times may be different next winter, however. This will be much more relaxing than driving, but at over 130€ per person one way it is not cheep.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A good combination, as long as you don’t mind the long journey between the two areas on transfer day.

It would be better to do the 3V week last, in my opinion. The 1st week of March is a peak French holiday week. Much quieter the week after.

A rental car would have some issues to watch out for. Need to ensure travel between 2 countries covered. If renting from Geneva that’s not usually a problem. Also, Swiss rental cars come ‘winterised’ in with the price. So they have winter tyres fitted, snow chains, etc. Rental from France you have to request and pay extra usually.

If possible to do by a combination of trains and coaches, it may be simpler and less hassle. Lots of snowHead threads cover car rental and travel options in detail.

Both areas snowsure by the first half of March. The weather and condition of the snow less predictable but you’d be unlucky to get poor conditions then.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i will definitely do so and not 3V and Tignes/ValD
As said above you will enjoy the differences between the two resorts and except that you will visit some of the top 10 (if not top5) in the Alps
Furthermore Zermatt, although it is too expensive is a must
I dont know if i manage to visit it again (with two kids is out of our budget) but i loved it. The feeling of car free, the Matterhorn...

Maybe the skiing in 3V is better than Zermatt, but the whole experience in Zermatt is unique
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks, everyone for your contribution, really appreciate it. Just to clarify, I haven't made a booking yet that I wouldn't be able to cancel, so if you have any better itineraries to suggest, you are more than welcome to share them. In fact, since PeakyB has recommended changing the order and starting the trip at Zermatt, I could definitely do that, and it makes sense to skip the French school holidays altogether (although I believe that the first week of March is only a fraction of school zones who are on holidays).

As I said, my first time skiing in Europe, 3Valles are a must for me and I really liked the looks of this Lodji Hotel and St. Martin as a base, but other than that, I'm pretty open to suggestions.

In regards to driving vs. train/bus, I'm thinking about driving as it may be easier to move around with the skis and I really don't mind driving. Plus the fact that once you add all the transfers from one place to the other it may be cheaper to dive.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ErnestoVinagre,
Welcome to snowheads.
As has been said above you should avoid France during the half-term holidays. The families will be heading home the weekend 9-10 March with the resorts much quieter after they've gone.
The easiest way to get from 3Vs to Zermatt is to get the bus to Geneva airport, go to the airport train station & on to Zermatt, one change at Visp. There should be daily buses to Geneva, with many options on the weekends, though I haven't seen any timetables yet - they are published about now. You could also ask on 3 Valleys group pages on Facebook - you may find places on a shared private transfer.
St Martin to VdI is approx 90-100 minute drive in normal conditions. Alternatively taxi/bus Moutiers train station, short train journey to Bourg St Maurice, then taxi/bus up to VdI.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Awesome, based on the recommendations, we have now changed the order of the trip, and we will start at Zermatt from 2 to 9 of March and then go to St Martin from 9 to 16 of March (luckily the hotel in St Martin was still available on the new dates). If you have any places to recommend to stay within 3V or Zermatt more than welcome to suggest them.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Renting a car for Zermatt makes no sense at all. You have to leave the car (and pay for the privilege) at a lower village, and take the train into Zermatt.
Renting a car for St Martin is also not a very good idea as the car will most likely be parked for the week. I'd rent a car only if the price is less than train and bus. At current prices that's unlikely.
The drive is not easy (bendy mountain roads) and likely to be busy at that time of year (might even catch a few road jams). A car offers no comfort over trains.
Also if your partner wants to buy skis and or boots, take in account that the prices in Zermatt are easily 20-30% higher than full price anywhere else. Last year looked at boots that are 500-600 euro at full price and in Zermatt they were around 800 swiss francs.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That makes sense - thanks for clarifying. Anywhere that I could look at the combination of trains/buses I'd need to take from Zermatt to St. Martin?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ErnestoVinagre, this site is a good place to start

https://www.rome2rio.com/
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ErnestoVinagre wrote:
That makes sense - thanks for clarifying. Anywhere that I could look at the combination of trains/buses I'd need to take from Zermatt to St. Martin?

For trains within Switzerland you can use the SBB Moble app. You can buy discounted Saver Day Pass up to 60 days in advance, subject to availability.

You'll need separate train ticket for France, though I'd just get transfer shuttle from the airport for that bit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been skiing 3V almost every year for over 30 years and I would not choose to stay in St Martin. Yes its a nice village but if snow cover isn't good the final ski back is not nice - better to down load on gondola. There is only one option to ski down which can be thin, man-made snow or ice! Other will disagree but I like being in Meribel, the central valley. For a first visit it would make exploring everywhere much easier. Just my thoughts...
snow report
@ErnestoVinagre, St M Lodji hotel is an excellent choice-very attractive warm with a really nice vibe. We have a place in St M but go and eat there regularly (food good). The staff are very friendly, the view from the big rear terrace is superb and is a wonderfully sunny spot to watch the sun go down after skiing especially in March (hot tub also overlooks the same view), and the skiing is right on your door step. I know I may be a bit biased, but St M is probably the most traditional and attractive of the 3V resorts. To give you a sense of logistics-it takes about 20-25 mins to get to the top of ridge on the two lifts from the village. A ski down to Meribel (depending on your ability and the route you take) takes around 10 mins if you are fast. There will be snow at the time-don't worry about that. I disagree with mogulski about the ski back at the end of the day, particularly compared with Meribel, but I'm not going to bang on about why (..start with..emptier pistes, far less icy/mushy snow at the end if the day ski back compared with Meribel, the joy of Jerusalem piste from the top all the way back, possibly with a stop at La Loy for an Irish coffee, Val Thorens at the head of the valley).A good skier can be in Courchevel in an hour easily from St M. There is in fact more than one run down from the top back to mid station above St M. Yes-towards the very end of the season (i.e. April) it can get very mushy, but most of the time the mush factor is relatively low. If you are into off piste, then the relatively gentle pastures above the village will be your playground.

I second the recommended routes between the 3V and Zermatt-train Zermatt to Visp then Visp GVA airport station is very straightforward and then I'd get on a scheduled Alpybus from the airport to St M (about €60 for Alpybus one way, the scheduled services run Thursday to Monday-easy to sort online via their website). Zermatt to the airport by train take about 3.5 hours- and the bus to st M is about 2.5 hours (unless they add a change at Moutiers)

We've stayed in Zermatt many times over the years on short breaks. A good 3 star hotel-Hotel Bristol-nothing too fancy but direct views of the Matterhorn from the front of the hotel. For all out luxury-a swanky room at the Matterhorn Focus. The Hotel Europe slots somewhere in-between.
ski holidays
Thanks again everyone, your advise is helping so much when it comes to organising this trip, particularly because we know close to nothing about skiing in Europe!

The trip would now be 2-9 Zermatt at a nice apart hotel called Naco by Arca and then heading by combination of train/bus to St Martin for a second week skiing. I'm so excited.

I have my own equipment that I'm planning on bringing (skis are quite old but I still love them) and my partner has to buy everything as she hasn't skied for over 8 years probably. We would be buying everything in Australia before heading to Europe, any insights or recommendations about equipment are welcome! Or maybe I can ask her to make a new post with her requirements..!
ski holidays
Any advise on how to get the cheapest passes possible also welcome!
latest report
For the Swiss trains wait until sixty days before the date and buy the Saver Day pass. This year it was 52 francs and will cover the trip Zermatt - Geneva, and much cheaper than a point-to-point ticket. Download the SBB app and buy it from there, but be careful to indicate you don't have a half fare card. The closer you wait after sixty days before the more expensive the ticket becomes.

If you are travelling from outside Switzerland to get to Zermatt the non-Swiss railway will likely offer cheaper tickets. For instance Zurich - St Anton ticket for me was significantly cheaper on OBB (Austria) than SBB (Swiss) railway apps.

Zermatt now have "dynamic" pricing for lift passes and theoretically in busy periods its cheaper if you buy in advance. How that theory works out in practice I have no idea. Your only decision is whether you buy the International pass with Cervinia for the week or buy the add-on each day you want to cross over. In the 3Vallees buy tickets as part of a family pass is cheaper than individual tickets. Don't bother with tickets for one valley only but buy for the entire area.
snow report
@ErnestoVinagre, lift passes -you will want an “international” pass in Zermatt which enables you to ski over in Cervinia. I think Zermatt is the most expensive in Europe. Don’t be tempted to think you can buy one in Cervinia (which come up cheaper) as the technology knows where you start from each day.
You can buy your 3 v pass in person or online https://www.les3vallees.com/en/skipass . You will need a pass for the whole 3V which I see is (yikes!) €375 for 6 days (the standard for a week long stay).There are no deals for 2 bought together anymore. You can buy a pass for a longer time obviously, but note that a 5 day pass costs the same as a 6 day one. There is a discounted day rate for a Saturday, so it might be worth looking at your dates to see if the odd day pass plus a multi day pass might be a bit cheaper.
ski holidays
Firstly, thank you all for the fantastic insights shared so far – greatly appreciated. I have one more question, if I may.

Our plan is to arrive in Zermatt on the 2nd of March. We'll be flying from Sydney to either Zurich or Geneva, aiming to arrive on the 1st, spending one night in one of these cities, and then taking a train to Zermatt on the morning of the 2nd to start skiing. I have a couple of questions:

I've noticed that many have recommended Geneva as the starting city. Is Zurich a viable alternative? Are there significant differences between the two for our purpose? (Considering the train duration appears to be the same.)

Does anyone have alternative suggestions for our itinerary? I'm mindful of the long flight from Sydney, and we might be quite tired upon arrival.

Thank you in advance for your input.
ski holidays
@ErnestoVinagre,
Geneva would be the easier airport to get to, for the flight out, from 3Vs.
snow conditions
ErnestoVinagre wrote:
Any advise on how to get the cheapest passes possible also welcome!

It sounds like a fantastic trip!

Regarding the 3VS, there is no such thing as cheap passes, as no discounts are offered anywhere, or at any time.

There is no disadvantage in buying in resort when you arrive.
snow report
For Zermatt it makes no difference really Zurich or Geneva. If you are flying out after the 3V I would fly into Zurich and stay a night, then after 3V a night in Geneva before flying out, just for the experience of two cities. The Middle-East airlines all do open-jaw like that and maybe the only consideration would be connection times.

If heading back to Australia be careful of flying out from Geneva on your last day if travelling from St Martin and leaving directly without a night in the city. For a late afternoon flight it's no worries, but for a 2pm flight you might end up leaving very early, or alternatively have a worrying few hours wondering if you'll get there on time.
snow report
Kenzie wrote:
@ErnestoVinagre,
Geneva would be the easier airport to get to, for the flight out, from 3Vs.

If you are flying from Geneva I would recommend a night in Annecy. It's a lovely old town and (in my opinion) better than Geneva.
latest report
Last season's Altibus timetable
https://www.altibus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/navettes-aeroport-geneve-stations-ski-tarentaise.pdf

Asking on this group may give guidance to who is doing Geneva transfers the coming season.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/670519632962525
latest report
Geneva is dull at best. As others have mentioned I would stop in Annecy instead if you must. Personally I would stay in Zurich. Or you can also do Milan on the way there (if doing a car transfer). The airport is a bit out of the city (in the wrong direction) but it makes it a similar time to Zermatt.

Zermatt over 3V for me personally too. Although both are good.
ski holidays
Zermatt over 3V? Last year went again to Zermatt, previous visit some 20 years ago. Yes, the Matterhorn is still majestic, but the town has grown too much, the food is very expensive and not that good (not bad but especially for the price pretty average), and the skiing is fine but the lift infrastructure could do with an update.
All in all, for me, Zermatt is really not as good as I remembered. It is still a place to be experienced at least once mainly for the views, but taking in account mainly skiing and value for money I wouldn't rate it above the 3V (in itself not at all cheap) and for fantastic views with much better hotels and VFM the Dolomites beat them both. IMV that is.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@afterski, @Listening, The OP intends to go to both. Good choice IMHO! Very Happy
snow report
ErnestoVinagre wrote:
I have my own equipment that I'm planning on bringing (skis are quite old but I still love them) and my partner has to buy everything as she hasn't skied for over 8 years probably. We would be buying everything in Australia before heading to Europe, any insights or recommendations about equipment are welcome! Or maybe I can ask her to make a new post with her requirements..!

Boots for sure I would bring/buy. Skis less so. Yours are old and she doesn't have any. It will be easier to travel without. And you will get freshly serviced skis for each week. You can also try different makes of ski which could help you decide what to buy in the future. Or indeed on the trip itself.
snow conditions
Looks like bensbus.co.uk timetable might be out for Geneva transfers.
Ditto themountainrescue.com and snow-drone.com.
snow conditions
Yes.

Yes.

Yes.
ski holidays
I'm taking everyone's advice into account and planning to fly into Zurich -> Zermatt (maybe overnight in Zurich or on the way to Zermatt, or actually heading straight to Zermatt after the flight depending on the landing time). Then I'll be flying back to Sydney from Geneva (staying overnight at Annecy to be closer to the airport).

I keep hearing from friends and neighbours warning me about how expensive Zermatt is. So far accommodation is slightly cheaper than St Martin -> apart hotel w pool and spa (Naco) circa 250 euro. Passes seem pretty much on pair w 3V. Then food and drinks is where I see that the price difference may come from? In any case, my big question about Zermatt is: is it worth it? (You know how some travel destinations have a brand and therefore people are prepared to pay more). My gut feeling is that it is worth it as I trust the advise from this forum, but since "Listening's" comment, I thought of opening the question and double-checking. For clarity my partner is not a mad skier and I feel that we are going to the best two places and worried that she won't be ready for it (she has skied before a few times but before we met so not sure on her level - in saying that she is very sporty and picked up surfing pretty quickly).

Ski equipment wise, I'm thinking about just taking boots and renting ski's there just to avoid the hassle of moving around with them. Thanks again everyone! All these pieces of advise are super welcome!
snow conditions
I'm taking everyone's advice into account and planning to fly into Zurich -> Zermatt (maybe overnight in Zurich or on the way to Zermatt, or actually heading straight to Zermatt after the flight depending on the landing time). Then I'll be flying back to Sydney from Geneva (staying overnight at Annecy to be closer to the airport).

I keep hearing from friends and neighbours warning me about how expensive Zermatt is. So far accommodation is slightly cheaper than St Martin -> apart hotel w pool and spa (Naco) circa 250 euro. Passes seem pretty much on pair w 3V. Then food and drinks is where I see that the price difference may come from? In any case, my big question about Zermatt is: is it worth it? (You know how some travel destinations have a brand and therefore people are prepared to pay more). My gut feeling is that it is worth it as I trust the advise from this forum, but since "Listening's" comment, I thought of opening the question and double-checking. For clarity my partner is not a mad skier and I feel that we are going to the best two places and worried that she won't be ready for it (she has skied before a few times but before we met so not sure on her level - in saying that she is very sporty and picked up surfing pretty quickly).

Ski equipment wise, I'm thinking about just taking boots and renting ski's there just to avoid the hassle of moving around with them. Thanks again everyone! All these pieces of advise are super welcome!
ski holidays

ski holidays

ski holidays
It's worth avoiding France until the school holidays end on 5 March (and that's a Paris week, so will be particularly busy and frantic). For someone getting back into skiing after some years, and not a "mad skier" a couple of private lessons would be brilliant, and give partner time to stretch his legs! Plenty of instructor recommendations available here but, again, will be much easier to arrange after the school hols are finished.
snow conditions
@pam w, I’m planning on going to Zermatt until the 9th of March which would allow me to avoid school holidays I believe.. and then 3V from 9-16 of March

Re taking lessons is a good idea
ski holidays
@Malbec85, Zermatt is awesome. I was there this year skiing in March and mountain biking in August. Not sure what listening is on about re: restaurants, Zermatt has some (a lot) of really good restaurants both up the mountain and in town. My perception is that the accommodation is expensive relative to other places in Switzerland but the restaurant costs are similar, and Zermatt has never felt bad value for what you get. If you go nowhere else go to Chez Vrony on the mountain in Findeln. Perfect setting, gorgeous food, atmosphere relaxed yet with efficient and friendly service and not expensive (by Swiss standards). You need to book.
snow report
@Malbec85, I think Zermatt first followed by the 3V is the best order. Zermatt is definitely a "must do" when you are coming that far. For your OH-once you are up the mountain there are plenty of options, though skiing back down to the town is probably more challenging at times (I've only been to Zermatt late Nov/early Dec so I can't confess to how things are later in the season). The wide blue runs on the Cervinia side should put a smile on your faces. Eating out at lunchtime is far better value in Italy-Chalet Etoile in Cervinia...mmmm! Or just the Italian restaurant at the Rifugio Guide del Cervino-the very top at Plateau Rosa-amazing huge bowls of pasta. My guess is that the North facing slopes of Zermatt will really come into their own in March (it's a very chilly shady place in the afternoons in December-remember north is the shady side in the northern hemisphere).
The Matterhorn can only be appreciated in person.
Eating out in Zermatt is very pricy-you just have to live with it. Our absolute fave is the SchaferStube under the Hotel Julen-amazing wood fired beef and lamb steaks as well as the traditional cheese dishes.

St Martin will feel very different-but not in a bad way. It's significantly smaller, more rustic (despite the wonderful old farm buildings dotted through Zermatt, the place feels very "blingy"). However, though a small resort, the entirely 3V is your playground. I'd say the skiing from St M is far more accessible to a less experienced skier. Plus, of course, you just put your boots on, walk up 50m to the bubble lift and off you go!
You will have a wonderful time! BTW-we are likely to be there when you are, so PM me if you fancy meeting for a beer. If we don't have guests ourselves, and if you're interested, I could show you around the mountains for a couple of hours-getting to grips with the piste map, the sheer scale of the area and options can feel a bit daunting!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 5-09-23 10:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy