Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Real Snow Lessons in the UK

Poster: A snowHead
My kids have now done just over 2 weeks real snow, they have had lessons on Exeter dry ski slope before each holiday. (Its a very short dry ski slope)
They are doing well, actual technique is pretty good gettting towards parrellel turns.
Happy to cruise around on blue runs. They will not even discuss the idea of ski school in resort.
Was hoping to get them some lessons at either Tamworth or Milton Keynes snow domes.
We are located in Devon so its a bit of a treck so would aim for doing a Saturday afternoon lesson and then a sunday morning lesson.
Any pointers or recomendations.
I think mainly they need a few pointers to help them get a bit more confidence.
Equally if anybody has recomendations for a particularly good dry ski slope instructor in the south west would consider that.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How old are they?

When you say 'they will not even discuss the idea of ski school in resort' do you mean they don't want to go to ski school? Ours did lessons until they were 13 or 14, but had been skiing since they were 5 or so. Maybe a group/family couple of lessons as opposed to ski school?

We just told them they were going to ski school to be honest!! Plus they rose through the levels, from Flocon through 1 star, 2, 3 and possibly beyond. They really enjoyed them - it meant they were with similar aged and ability skiers. We did benefit from our eldest having a friend who he was with, but then again one day they were together and the next one got moved up/down and vice versa, but mostly of around the same level.

There's MK + Hemel Hempstead, probably the nearest 2 to you, but still quite a trek for you.

I think we mostly framed it as they had the mornings to enjoy and learn and then we met up at lunchtime and skied together in the afternoon. They had some great experiences, especially in La Rosiere with Evolution 2. Skiing through the trees, off the roof of a building, etc..!! That was the final set of lessons they did though. Whatever the 'top' group is, that was it.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes they really don't want to go to ski school. Might be able to get them some private lessons but in half term I think it would have to be afternoon which isn't great as they will be getting tired. The biggest problem is that they want to ski with their friends, the firends are better than them and won't be doing ski school.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd just tell them. Maybe everyone should go to ski school - get lift priority!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bigsurfer wrote:
They will not even discuss the idea of ski school in resort.

Same questions as above, curious to know how old they are, and how they get the authority to decide what they discuss or not Laughing

Without getting to the rights or wrongs of that, I just think that it's a real shame as they'll be the ones that lose out. We pitched to our kids that ski school was a non-negotiable - so they have a couple of hours of ski school in the morning and then we have a blast in the afternoon as family. They moan about ski school but it doesn't effect their enjoyment of their holiday. And the big thing is that they are progressing correctly and not picking up bad habits. They did their 4th week of ski school on the last trip, and our eldest (15yrs) is really progressing, she was doing blacks, off-piste and in the parks - she wouldn't be at that level if she was just skiing with the family!

This season will be the first one without lessons, and i can't wait!!

Maybe private lessons would be the compromise but that could get expensive. Ironically if they are keen to get to the same level as their friends then lessons would be the quickest way there - maybe that's the way to pitch it to them. Kids always want to take shortcuts - they are just focused on immediate fun, rather than long term gain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Handy Turnip wrote:
bigsurfer wrote:
They will not even discuss the idea of ski school in resort.

Same questions as above, curious to know how old they are, and how they get the authority to decide what they discuss or not Laughing

Without getting to the rights or wrongs of that, I just think that it's a real shame as they'll be the ones that lose out. We pitched to our kids that ski school was a non-negotiable - so they have a couple of hours of ski school in the morning and then we have a blast in the afternoon as family. They moan about ski school but it doesn't effect their enjoyment of their holiday. And the big thing is that they are progressing correctly and not picking up bad habits. They did their 4th week of ski school on the last trip, and our eldest (15yrs) is really progressing, she was doing blacks, off-piste and in the parks - she wouldn't be at that level if she was just skiing with the family!

This season will be the first one without lessons, and i can't wait!!

Maybe private lessons would be the compromise but that could get expensive. Ironically if they are keen to get to the same level as their friends then lessons would be the quickest way there - maybe that's the way to pitch it to them. Kids always want to take shortcuts - they are just focused on immediate fun, rather than long term gain.

Yep, my kids were told that ski school was non-negotiable too. They all started on skis from about the age of 2 though, obviously with me just taking them until they were old enough to have lessons. Ultimately, I've been skiing or snowboarding now for about 35 years and my daughters (14 & 17) are better than I've ever been, because of the lessons they've had. My youngest is only 10 and so he still goes into lessons, but he knows it's for his benefit so is happy to do it. I guess it may be a more difficult conversation if kids start at an older age, but it's a huge long term benefit to them to learn properly and they'll probably look back and regret it if they don't.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Listen to the advice and force your kids into ski school.

They'll hate you for it

Never want to go again

Is this where you want to end up?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they don’t want to take lessons or can’t for whatever reason then the next best thing on snow is to ski close behind the best skiers in their group. They might not pick up perfect technique but they will improve, enjoy their skiing and may even develop their own distinctive ‘style’. I imagine that a lot of skiers these days are largely self taught or have simply copied better skiers.
When they are at home they can enjoy the dry slope?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the next best thing on snow is to ski close behind the best skiers in their group

very good point. It's the way a lot of kids lessons work - they learn to do nice rounded turns and control speed. When I once asked to join an adult ski school class which was a bit above my level (ESF, in Belle Plagne) but recommended by others in the chalet, the instructor asked me to ski close behind him down a red slope whilst he did beautiful controlled tight turns and I struggled desperately not to ski into the back of him.

He then told me that I could stay in the class, but that I needed to work on my turn shape. Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Peter S, (and also @Whitegoldsbrother, a bit Toofy Grin ) are in to something. Ours did 3 or 4 weeks of school and then had enough. They ski well and we really enjoy skiing together as it's a family holiday. Give it a go. Often, they progress faster by getting some decent miles in rather that standing around in a group. Also, once they reach a weight whereby the skis start to work for them, suddenly they have a massive improvement with no skiing involved! Happened around 12 for ours.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the comments. We do really enjoy skiing as a Family, will try and get a lesson or 2 in the UK and the same on the piste. They both lack confidence more than technique hoping the lessons will help with both and allow us to cruise around a little faster.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
to be honest if you can afford it - get a private instructor in resort not ski school. The instructors have no chance of helping everyone and watching all techniques in the "snake". Whereas when working 2-3 kids per instructor they can fine tune each kid. Our came on massively with a PI rather than ski school.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think a couple of 2 hour lunchtime lessons will keep the kids happy, give the parents a bit of time to ski hard on their own and hopefully brings the kids on well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
bigsurfer wrote:
They both lack confidence more than technique hoping the lessons will help with both and allow us to cruise around a little faster.

Lessons will definitely help with that - the instructor, knowing what they are capable of, will challenge them and they'll not push back (like they might do with a family member). And consequently once they get back on the easier reds and blues with their friends, it'll feel a breeze.

Klamm Franzer wrote:
. Also, once they reach a weight whereby the skis start to work for them, suddenly they have a massive improvement with no skiing involved! Happened around 12 for ours.

Yes agreed - there's a lightbulb moment. Personally I think it's a mental thing more than a weight thing, at least for ours (our youngest is 3 years younger than his sister but not dissimilar weight/height) - when their brains suddenly switch from that childlike "no care in the world/this is fun" attitude, to suddenly being aware of the world around them and thinking/feeling the skis under them. Our youngest has just turned 12, and over the past few months I can see in the way he talks/thinks that he's going through that change so I have high hopes for our next trip!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bigsurfer wrote:
The biggest problem is that they want to ski with their friends, the firends are better than them and won't be doing ski school.

Skiing with better skiers is a good idea in general IMO but with a few caveats. Such as not skiing slopes that are beyond their capabilities or skiing at speeds beyond their ability. So as not endangering themselves or others.

But the adults/parents are with them right... so is this is a big combined family group?
latest report
For the price of 2 kids in ski school, you should be able to get 2 hours of private lessons per day. They will make more progress and will still have time to ski with their friends.
My kids are now 11 & 13, have long since finished badges etc. but still have lessons every day. Other kids that come on holiday with us, who've long since given up ski lessons, often start lessons again once they ski with my son and realise how much they still have to learn.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy