Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm a newbie, so please be gentle with me. Smile

I'm taking the family to Les Deux Alpes with SkiWorld in February and they need to hire skis. I have owned my own for so long I can't remember the last time I hired skis, but it was a long time ago. What I do remember though was that (way, way back) if you hired your skis through the travel company, the hire shop would dump you off with the worst skis they had - and boy were we offered some rubbish.

Is this still the case? Can I hire safely through SkiWorld, or would I be better off renting privately (online) before we go?

Thanks for any and all information.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome...

Not sure about being given rubbish, but do some research : there are websites like - https://www.alpinresorts.com/en/ski-rental to give you an idea of the costs involved.

Or go direct to your chosen shop, as most have on online presence now : Last year it was cheaper for me to hire direct from a shop in Les Arcs than use Crystal ski !!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Farmer_Terry, welcome to the forum.

I think that you are right that while tour operators' deals may look slightly discounted on the advertised price in shop, they often aren't compared with what you can get booking in advance online yourself. Whether the skis are of a different standard probably depends on individual shops.

For a first-timer for whom everything is new and strange I would say stick with the tour operator offering since if you have problems you can ask the rep for help. And the quality of ski may be less crucial anyway at that stage. However if you know the ropes then explore booking skis personally. Most French resorts have franchise branches of big chains like Sport2000, Skimium, Intersport, SkiSet, etc.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks, this is part of my research. Happy

That looks a useful website, thanks again. It recommends a shop not too far from where we are staying, and the prices look good - also cheaper than with SkiWorld.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks JB, but the only first timers are my granddaughters. I've been skiing for 60 years, but, as I said with my own equipment (and for the last 30 years in the 'states) so while I'm out of touch with the hire market, I'm happy to assess equipment.

We're in the less fashionable end of Les Deux Alpes, but I'll look up the chains you recommend.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd check the shops near where you are staying, then make a decision between the nearest ones. That way you can check their shop, the prices, deals at the moment and if they are close to where you are staying it should be fairly easy to change or swap anything that seems rubbish.

If possible you could email a couple of shops and see what sort of response you get, that way you can gauge customer service.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
"you could email a couple of shops and see what sort of response you get, that way you can gauge customer service."

Thanks eps, an excellent idea. There is a Ski Republic about 500 metres from our chalet, but that's some way for two 14 year old girls to carry their equipment on the first day. There is a more local shop just 300 metres away - Intermediate skis and boots 92.95€ against 123€ at Ski Republic - which seems a bit cheap?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'm just doing the same for our holiday... Although Ski Republic and Sport2000 are coming up similar but then it's trying to compare Blue/Red/Black/Gold with Beginner/Intermediate/Expert!! and then Intersport who are a lot more expensive.

There seem to be codes and offers around at the moment.

Intersport, AFTERPAYDAY - but still seems expensive!!! or FORECASTSKI - from the website, but again still around 60 EUR more per person.

Ski Republic seem decent and seem to 'get' ski hire. But we haven't actually used them before.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ski Republic offer "Initiation / Evolution / Sensation ..." rather than "Blue/Red" etc. Or at least on the site I'm looking at. Evolution (beginner to intermediate) 98€ skis only or 123€ with boots. Doesn't sound too bad to me?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would advise taking out the shop's extra insurance.

When I was there some years ago, I hired some very nice skis (sorry, can't remember the shop), which were stolen from outside the restaurant that is at the top of the first bubble (the area where the ski schools meet). Apparently there was a gang steeling skis on a daily basis and then taking the bubble down....which the shop owner didn't warn me about.

Between my own insurance and their insurance, I was not left of pocket with an excess to pay. Also, if they happen to get badly damaged (which is what happened to mine, thus why I was hiring) - they won't hit you with an expensive repair or replacement skis.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, we usually take out damage cover - sometimes those stones are unavoidable. 'vol' insurance is worth taking out as well - I think around 2 EUR for each per day.. So possibly adds around 28 EUR to the total. But literally you just hand them back.

Where did you have them stolen from? Les Deux Alpes? I usually think that no one would take someone else's skis, but I guess these days someone will take anything for a quick euro or two.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
eps wrote:

Where did you have them stolen from? Les Deux Alpes? I usually think that no one would take someone else's skis, but I guess these days someone will take anything for a quick euro or two.

Yes it was L2A.....it was a long time ago (I hired the then newly released Salomon Crossmax, as my X Scream Series were wrecked on a rock)), so things may well have changed. I would normally mix and match skis, but I was with my 8 year old Son whose skis were too short. I tried to leave them against a wall inside the restaurant - but that was not allowed.....so I left them where I could see them below the restaurant, as we ate outside. The theft happened in the 5 minutes when I took my Son to the toilet. The gang must have been watching us - and took them within those 5 minutes.

After that incident, I bought a lock....which won't stop a determined thief, but makes it more likely that an insurance company will pay out, as you've "Made a reasonable effort".
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I would normally mix and match skis,

That's what we always do. It's certainly an effective deterent. So long as everyone remembers where they left their skis. Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For what is worth

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiset Slide Planet 2 Alpes - we were well looked after. Serves Beer & food as well! https://location-ski-les-2-alpes.notresphere.com/

Take insurance - I have seen plenty of unaccompanied skis flying down a piste & shooting off into the abyss.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy