Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cash or Cards for apres etc in Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, is cash still king or do most of you now take bank cards/credit cards - not been to VT before but I'm guessing banks cards in bars, supermarkets etc. are accepted across the board these days... no?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just use card for everything in France, but I have a French bank account so am not getting a foreign currency fee added to each transaction. Check what your cards will charge you first.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, pretty much everywhere takes cards. As FreeRider says, check what your card provider charges. Most charge a fee for using the card, some charge a conversion fee, some charge both. There are quite a few banks now that offer foreign currency transactions free. There is a good guide on the MoneySavingExpert website.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Over the last 2 weeks in Les Arcs I used cash for payment exactly 3 times. Two were for the pool table and one in the bakery where there was a sign for a minumum card spend of 5€ and I wanted to spend 4. Apart from that everything was cards. I did see one or two other people use cash at various places, but mainly cards. At long last cheques seem to have fallen from fashion.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chamonixsbust, i was in VT last easter (going again this easter), and paid by card everywhere i went, including mountain resto's etc, and must admit i do not remember seeing a minimum transaction required anywhere.

i didn't go to any of the weekly street markets, so that may be a different issue?

although i took some euros with me, i am not sure i used them at all!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Really no need to use cash, although I usually like some in a wallet (for old times sake). Apple Pay will work.

Get a credit card that does not charge fees such as Halifax Clarity Card. I also have a ‘Currensea’ card but recently upgraded my NatWest account to Platinum which offers the debit card fee free (and travel insurance including skiing).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Blackballed wrote:
Really no need to use cash, although I usually like some in a wallet (for old times sake). Apple Pay will work.

Get a credit card that does not charge fees such as Halifax Clarity Card. I also have a ‘Currensea’ card but recently upgraded my NatWest account to Platinum which offers the debit card fee free (and travel insurance including skiing).

We are VT regulars and use credit cards for all transactions, bar one. Supermarkets accept card payments regardless of the amount, as do the mountain restaurants and bars we visit. Only 1 bakers (in my experience, at least) insists on a €5 minimum (Sucre & Salé). I second the use of a Halifax Clarity Mastercard.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If using Apple Pay on your phone there is a reluctance to provide a paper receipt - I guess the receipt is on your phone....
First Direct Debit Card is charge free and the rate is the normal bank rate. ie 1.16 last week and 1.15 this week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think most places have happily taken card for years, but Covid put pay to those last few cash-only type places and now not only do most places take card, quite a few prefer it (I'm seeing more instances for card only places than cash only these days, at least in UK, maybe not France yet).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Plenty of old and new banks offer fee-free foreign currency transactions now. Some even offer fully fledged Euro accounts e.g. Starling.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy