Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Looking for perfect jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I'm currently on the lookout for the "perfect" jacket which will cater for my needs. I haven't come across one yet because they are all missing one thing. As I'm also training to be a Mountain Leader, and I need a jacket that can fit that purpose, which is mainly having 1 chest pocket for a map and can survive the elements

These are the musts:

- Non-insulated shell, as I use a layering system
- Gore-tex layer
- Ski pass pocket (on the wrist/forearm and not at the upper arm). I genuinely get stuck at the ski gate entry despite people saying chest/trouser pocket works (they do work 70% of the time). I've missed long-wait ski lifts and annoyed people behind me too many times
- 1 chest pocket (I've found 2 chest pockets may compromise the pocket size but this may not always be the case)
- 2 front normal pockets
- Looser around waist and lower fit to help with the ski powder (if theres no powder skirt)
- £350 budget (willing to wait around for a snap deal or unused second hand)

Jackets I've considered but partially ruled out

- Mountain Equipment (ME) Changabang - Has got it all except the 2 front chest pockets which aren't that big. Expensive brand new but unused new can be found
- Mountain Equipment (ME) Lhotse - Doesn't have the ski pass pocket
- Norrona Lofoten - Thought this was the one but it doesn't have 2 front normal pockets
- Revolution Race Cyclone Rescue - Again this has it all EXCEPT the gore-tex! Great price!
- Salomon S/LAB QST GORE-TEX PRO - Expensive. has an amazing yellow/black colour. Seems to tick most boxes. Not sure what the chest pockets are like Haven't got my hands on it
- Rab Latok - No ski pass pocket
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look on Sportpursuit.com- decent discounts on quality brands, including some that you might not have heard of.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Travel4life, IME powder skirt unnecessary ...

If you're going to be a mountain leader why do you need a map? Puzzled
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perty wrote:
Take a look on Sportpursuit.com- decent discounts on quality brands, including some that you might not have heard of.

Already had a look and couldn't see anything

under a new name wrote:
@Travel4life, IME powder skirt unnecessary ...

If you're going to be a mountain leader why do you need a map? Puzzled

I'm not looking for a powder skirt, just a lower fit will be good enough.

You need a map as part of your navigation work and training. It also helps to put a radio or anything else in that front pocket for quick access
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you can find a deal, the Peak Performance Vertical might fit the bill. Snowleader seems to have some for about £350
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Norrona Lofoten (plenty pockets imv and my go to ski jacket, have had 3) or ME Lhotse (why do you need a ski pass pocket, the ski lifts pick up ski pass in breast inner pocket). Have both and would seriously recommend either, both great kit but imv Lofoten best for skiing, Lhotse best for hiking.

Wear a (small) rucksack rather than fill pockets is my preference.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sheesh you really can't get all those specs in one Jacket? I'm surprised that most of these don't feature the ski pass pocket. Seems like an oversight as far as a product offering? Lots of people would avoid purely due to that reason? Perhaps it is to push them to their bigger margin resort products.

Patagonia Triolet also not got the pass pocket but all other features and in budget.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have a Black Diamond Stretch Recon Shell. It meets your basic criteria, though not the really fussy bits (lift pass pocket is on the upper arm, I have no idea why that is a problem, unless like me, you do left-shoulder carry for skis, and it is BD's own version of the waterproof membrane, which is also fine – don't be so stuck on Gore-tex, sometimes other brands are superior).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

don't be so stuck on Gore-tex, sometimes other brands are superior)

Completely agree. Plenty of perfectly good materials other than goretex. We are at a point where jacket waterproofing in general is overkill anyway. Plenty of top quality tents "only" have 5000mm hydrostatic head.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It isn't about waterproofing though.

It is about breathability. That is where 3 layer Gore-tex-pro is the leader.

Any uphill and you have to consider breathability. Its also a consideration when dumping heat after dancing on the tables at the KK. Sliding downhill doesn't produce massive heat.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@afterski, I'm yet to find any waterproof jacket that is particularly breathable - goretex included. If you need breathability big pit zips are they way to go.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Norrona Trollveggen Pro-shell fits all except the pass pocket in the arm. It's in the chest on the left. Have you considered base/midlayers with a wrist area pass pocket? There are also gloves/mitts with pass pockets on the back of the hand. Just a thought. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@boarder2020, +1 for pit zips, both jackets I mentioned above have them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
[quote="Markymark29" (why do you need a ski pass pocket, the ski lifts pick up ski pass in breast inner pocket).[/quote]

Ummm. Mine sits in a breast height pocket on my Trollveggen. When presenting at a reader, I occasionally have to do a wiggly limbo thing and that's on the Dolomiti Superski system. Probably the most invested in in the world.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
When I've bought jackets I've always had to try them on. The hood/neck arrangements are vital, and vary quite a lot. I bought a terrific Norrona shell jacket online at Cotswold Outdoor and it was wonderful with a T shirt on underneath, and a fabulous green, but the tops of arms were really restricting - no room for a fleece mid layer (and I have thin arms). Norrona tend to be made for tall slim Scandis. I picked it up in the local Cotswold shop and tried all the fleeces in the shop on, underneath it, and reluctantly had to give it back.
snow report
@Mollerski, never had to do that wiggly limbo thing personally but if it’s your thing so be it! Laughing
ski holidays
A few of my friends have the Planks feel good anorak (Job lot purchase!!!) & one has the yeti bib pants & all love the gear. They all look well made.
Looking on their website the yeti range may fit your needs.
snow report
Reasonable asks, but if you have to let one go, there are other ways to deal with passes than pockets. I like the gizmo that holds my pass on my goggle strap. At some resorts you have to have the pass out to be shot by the liftie, and pockets suck there no matter their position.

Some gloves also have heater pockets, and lift passes fit nicely in there also.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@Mollerski, never had to do that wiggly limbo thing personally but if it’s your thing so be it! Laughing

I blame the card. wink
ski holidays
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
there are other ways to deal with passes than pockets. .

Like the retractable piece of string things back in the 'insert your pass' days? The card would catch the wind and do a mad helicopter on the way down. You'd end up with a tangled mess at the next turnstile. How retro. Razz
ski holidays
@Mollerski, had one. Lasted two or three days. Good riddance.
snow report
They could smack you in the face, too.
snow report
What size ?
I have a xl Arcteryx Theta SVX new tagged £425

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 24-09-23 8:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
@Scooter in Seattle, @pam w, Had we forgotten what the good old days were like? wink I can just remember the run and jump dustbin on a stick lifts. How were they ever safe? Puzzled
ski holidays
This from Decathlon isn't Goretex (but is 20k waterproof and has pit zips) and the liftpass pocket is on the upper arm, but I think it meets a lot of the other criteria (and is only £190)
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/men-s-ski-jacket-fr900/_/R-p-308740

I've got one, haven't worn it skiing yet but have worn it in some awful UK weather last Feb/Mar/Apr and it kept me warm and dry in some nasty cold and rain really well.
ski holidays
Gored wrote:
A few of my friends have the Planks feel good anorak (Job lot purchase!!!) & one has the yeti bib pants & all love the gear. They all look well made.
Looking on their website the yeti range may fit your needs.

I have been wearing my Planks Yeti Hunter jacket for a few yew years. Ticks all the boxes above and can confirm it is well made.
Pit zips deal with over-heating issues well and it strikes the right balance (for me anyway) between being lightweight but still tough/hard wearing.

The only downside is that mine is the camo colour so maybe not ideal for being visible on the mountain doing your ML - other colours are available though!
ski holidays
@Travel4life, so did you find your “perfect” jacket?
snow report
Salomon Moon Patrol seems to suit apart from the price (£500)
Salomon Force seems to suit apart from not having Gortex (£400)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Can’t go wrong with a flannel shirt 90% of the time
ski holidays
hang11 wrote:
Can’t go wrong with a flannel shirt 90%of the time..

other than not fulflling any of the requirements, i suppose youre right.
ski holidays
Been using my Arcteryx Zeta AR for the last couple of seasons and its perfect other than the lift pass debacle as it has no arm pocket which as you state can be annoying. . .on this basis just bought an Arcteryx Sabre off the website 'Outlet' page - £420 brand new (RRP £600) and zero postcost / import tax etc. Much heavier 3L goretex and has all the pockets. Would have bought some Sabre pants as well but already own Beta ARs (which are bulletproof) and the Sabre colourway on offer was horrible . . .just be aware that this version of the Sabre is quite 'fitted' around the midriff - had to buy an XL & L and return the L as layering was tight . . (for me)

Some good deals on there - being an Arc fanboy also just bought the significantly reduced, insulated Theme Parka that I've always 'desired' as an early xmas pressie to myself. . .apres ski chique lol

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 23-09-23 14:22; edited 2 times in total
snow report
DP

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 23-09-23 14:21; edited 1 time in total
snow report
DDP!
snow conditions
@Belch, dont think the Sabre has a chest pocket does it? Agree it's a cracking jacket though!
ski holidays
I'm struggling with the lower arm pocket thing, not sure I've ever noticed one?
snow conditions
Had an Arc Sidewinder back pre Norrona. A superbly built thing, but I just find their gear achingly boring. The Scandis just have style if you can tone down the mad colours.
ski holidays
@under a new name, all my jackets except my current BD one had a lower arm/wrist pocket (Helly Hansen, Salomon, Mountain Equipment, North Face). I'd never thought about it before, but I now know that I prefer it. This is because I always carry my skis on my left shoulder, and I've found that if I'm not paying attention when I put them down and lift them off carefully, they slide down my arm and catch on the corner of my lift pass, slicing a hole in the pocket Confused It's not a big deal and has been fixed up with a bit of super glue, but it's annoying because I do forget, and it never happened with a lower arm pocket. However, if you only ever carry skis on your right shoulder, this probably isn't a problem.
ski holidays
What size are you looking for ?
ski holidays
Norrøna Tamok has everything you listed and currently £350 on the Norrøna outlet store (you need to register to see the prices).

https://www.norrona.com/en-GB/o/tamok-gore-tex-pro-jacket-mens/?color=2308&changeCountry=GB

Edit: the ski pass pocket is on the upper arm, you could put in the pass in the left pocket.
snow conditions
Rab Infinity Microlight.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy