Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calgary - November

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks

Got a work trip to Calgary planned for mid November so have decided to head out early and, ideally, get a couple of days’ skiing in.

I land on a Friday mid afternoon so am looking at resorts not too far from the airport for a full days skiing on the Saturday and Sunday.

Any recommendations on resorts, travel options etc?

Have skied loads but only in Europe so super excited about hitting North America. Preparing for the cold!!!!

TiA
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Er Banff as a base to stay with nice restaurants (2h out of Calgary), then probably Sunshine Village is the best as closer than Lake Louise (45min bus). Accommodation at resort for SV or LL is limited- but perhaps for 2 nights it’s fine.
All that depends on how good the snow is in November.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rhg76, If you are hiring a car to get there, stay in Canmore - much cheaper than Banff and about the same time to drive to the ski areas.

If you can get a transfer, stay in Banff as theres the ski bus from Banff to the ski areas - pick at various places often outside hotels.

Not much else close to Calgary really - Castle might be ok but I'd check opening and November conditions. Yuo'd need a car for Castle though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi @Rhg76,
I'd say go to Banff, stay the night at the Caribou Lodge.
Its the first Hotel on the right hand side, its a great little Hotel.

From Banff you've got the local slope "Norquay" which is a good for an afternoon.
Sunshine Village is just a few miles further, its quite a big ski area.
There is free guiding at about 1pm for a couple of hours, take advantage of it.

But what is really important is make the effort to go to Lake Louise its about an hours drive.
If the weather is good, the drive up there is something special.

You could stop the night there...
If you want to splash out stop at the Fairmont, at least have a hot chocalate.
If your on a budget there is a youth hostel to stay at.
There are some very good hotels up at Lake Louise anyway.
Take advantage of the Guiding there as well, they do it mornings and afternoons, great guys and gals.

A couple of weeks would be far better but enjoy, the resorts are not as big as you get in Europe, but they are special.

November may be a bit early but check on the opening dates before you go.
I've skied there in late November and some days were great.

As @Bones, says you may find some cheaper accomodation, that is where all the instructors stay.
Have a great time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rhg76 wrote:

Have skied loads but only in Europe so super excited about hitting North America. Preparing for the cold!!!!

TiA

Unlikely to be super cold mid-Nov, that’s January.

Only in Europe? Be prepared for inbounds skiing; if you can see it (without obvious fencing) you can ski it Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
^ generally all of the above +1. Caribou is a good spot.

If you’re getting transfers from the airport, use Banff Airporter. Great service and comfy coaches.

If you visit the Fairmont, try to find the Waldhaus, sometimes called the hidden pub. They used to have a “wings Wednesday” - cheap wings, good beer, hockey on the telly.

Great food in Block, Nourish, Saltlick and the Mexican place who’s name has slipped my mind.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Mexican place in Banff is the Magpie and Stump. It used to do steaks, salmon fillets cooked on wood shingles, etc. The food in the Elk and Oarsman was fantastic the last time I was there, the best steaks I've ever had.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mid-November is super early for snow. Likely man made slope only. Though you could get super lucky.

So lodging will likely be dirt cheap.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As above you are a bit early to be honest but as it's (presumably) not the sole reason for coming here's some thoughts....

The best recommendations are going to be very snow pack dependant so maybe check back closer to the time. It's not peak season so you shouldn't have any trouble finding accommodation. A car will give you more flexibility.

Whilst I would never normally recommend Nakiska for anything other than locals they have some of the more intensive snow making operations (They're one of the early season training hills for the pros). There's nothing but groomers but it's still sliding.

Lake Louise front side also opens early for the same reason. The backside will almost certainly be closed or very limited due to lots of rocks.

Sunshine has the least snow making and until they get snow at the bottom you have to download on the gondola. It's the resort I leave latest early season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another thought - that time of year is locally know as rock ski season. Don't bring your bestest carvers.... Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There are ~8 ski resorts within 3hrs of Calgary.

Banff looks scheduled to open on Nov 10, 2023.

Lake Louise has opened, on average, for the past 5 years, around Nov 5th.

Great scenery.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DrLawn wrote:

If you want to splash out stop at the Fairmont, at least have a hot chocalate.
If your on a budget there is a youth hostel to stay at.

I was at Lake Louise this summer (not for skiing obvs), and stayed at Deer Lodge. Just behind the Fairmont, so you get the location but at a reduced price.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sweaman22 wrote:

Sunshine has the least snow making and until they get snow at the bottom you have to download on the gondola. It's the resort I leave latest early season.

Aha. I had suggested as I thought it was the coldest, but this makes more sense.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is downloading in a gondola such a disaster if the place is otherwise OK? Seems to work fine in Mayrhofen.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi @pam w,
The only downside to riding down in the gondola is that you miss out on the fabulous ski to the bottom.
I'm not sure if we have the choice at Mayerhofen.
snow report
Rhg76 wrote:
Got a work trip to Calgary planned for mid November so have decided to head out early and, ideally, get a couple of days’ skiing in.
I land on a Friday mid afternoon so am looking at resorts not too far from the airport for a full days skiing on the Saturday and Sunday.
I've done that type of trip a lot, albeit not quite that early season.

Can't remember the time the various flights arrive there but clearing customs etc is quick compared with YVR - 20 minutes not an hour and change.

Airport care hire will be more expensive than downtown but easier and quicker. Expect scary commission based upsell at the desk. The highway is wide and easy, even in a snowstorm in my view. They can't rent you an illegal vehicle. They have mostly cars with winter wheels (not just M&S) but will still try to upsell you on that anyway. Drive a few hours before the jet lag hits, pay for the park ticket, telling them how long you'll be there for. The route's straightforward. Expect to be on the first chair the next morning.

The fancy hotels charge for parking, so there's that.

You could get a bus from Calgary (google it..) and then use the town buses for access to the resorts. I don't think I've done that this century, but that used to work well for maximum cheapskate points.
ski holidays
Book your car rental via "Canadian Affair" they do a good deal with all the bells and whistles you'll need such as windscreen cover.
With the best car hire franchises.

Caribou lodge never charge us for underground parking ... but the Suburban only just fitted under the pipework in the garage Very Happy
latest report
pam w wrote:
Is downloading in a gondola such a disaster if the place is otherwise OK? Seems to work fine in Mayrhofen.

It's not a big deal but it does add to the day. It also means there is a bit less terrain to play with (Goat's eye likely not open at all) and it's just the overall lack of snow making that means it's better later in the season.
snow report
But if you have the chance of a November ski, as the OP does, you wouldn't really expect perfect conditions.
ski holidays
There’s also great wildlife there. If you go to Lake Louise or Sunshine (and perhaps others, dunno) you will need a parking permit since you’re in the national park. We got back to our car and saw an ocean of ticketed windshields. I would also expect rocks that time of year. It isn’t pastureland. I didn’t see much evidence of snowmaking, but I saw massive evidence of snow “farming“ as they call it…. moving it from useless flat areas to high traffic areas etc. I can’t help with food, everywhere I went sucked since I failed to do my homework.
ski holidays
Absolutely - just managing expectations especially in relation to this comment (which is true but brave in November) - "Be prepared for inbounds skiing; if you can see it (without obvious fencing) you can ski it"
ski holidays
When does that area start to be skiable, generally? It’s famously cold in January, I was guessing snow would start to appear by November.
snow conditions
It's hugely season dependent - The majority of the resorts will be open by Christmas - It's the steeper ungroomed terrain that is more variable - some parts last year never opened; the year before they were open in late January but I'd say early February is when stuff starts to open up at both Lake Louise and Sunshine. If you are specifically coming because you want to ski delirium and south side chutes at Sunshine or the Lake Louise "letter gullies" then late February or March is going to be you best bet.
snow report
Quote:
Whilst I would never normally recommend Nakiska for anything other than locals they have some of the more intensive snow making operations (They're one of the early season training hills for the pros). There's nothing but groomers but it's still sliding.
Mrs MA and I have skied there twice on day visits and (despite having to be evacuated from the broken down main chairlift the second time Laughing ) really enjoyed it. We just love to try different ski areas, irrespective of size.

We found nice snow; lovely groomers for blasting about; a decent vertical; and it was very quiet, even on a weekend. And a chance to ski the men's downhill course from the Calgary Olympics too.
snow conditions
Orange200 wrote:
When does that area start to be skiable, generally? It’s famously cold in January, I was guessing snow would start to appear by November.

As said above it's dependent on season and how you are defining skiable. Groomers will be fine pretty early, the steep rocky stuff needs a lot more snow. Just down the road at kicking horse once the snowpack hit 1m was considered the time to put away the rock skis and expect everything to be filled in.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy