Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chill Factore Manchester - best midweek day?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, Scottish based skier here. I'm off down to England and Wales on a 2 week trip starting in early October. I always take my ski gear down now and try to get a session here and there on indoor snow sites.

I'm wondering if any Chill Factore Manchester regular users can help: Are there any days where the snow is best?
The reason I ask this is that Castleford usually makes snow on Sunday night but don't properly piste it until Monday night.
This means that there are some weird patches of 'sticky' snow on Mondays.
So Tuesday is the best Castleford snow day for midweek empty slopes and good surface.

So is this the case at Manchester? Is there a day to avoid?

I've looked at several YouTube videos and the snow at Manchester seems to be deeper and fluffier.
Do they use a better snow making method?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure which day is best as I only visit occasionally.

However, one thing I did notice when they were first taken over by the owners of Hemel is that they lowered the temperature from -4 to -6. (Although on the last visit it was -5, possibly due to costs).

That reduction in temperature improved the quality of the snow on the slopes.

Worth checking what activities they have on before you go, as they sometimes have the obstacles out for boarders, which reduces the width of the slope available, and they occasionally have Moguls.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I decided to ring them. The week of 9-13 oct has the prep for freestyle starting on the Thursday so as it's probably Tuesday I'm planning to be there, I should be fine!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Deveron53, I looked to book last night and there were no slots available or it was closed. I just came back up to Glasgow.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thursday Night normally has park features so I tend to try to get over then.

That said the snow is better at CF than Castleford on any day ending in Y Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anyone know what type of lift pass they use ie is it hard plastic (like most resorts use) that can stay in a jacket pocket or is it the old paper type that sits around the neck
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nahdendee, its a laminated paper/card type thing that I tend to just stick in the pocket, and usually only have to show it once in a session
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@swskier

Many thanks for that, would you also know if a token is needed for the lockers (or a pound coin)?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pound coin which is returned to you@nahdendee.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RichardB wrote:
Pound coin which is returned to you@nahdendee.

But they also have tokens on the desk by the kit hire as well you can use
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nahdendee wrote:
@swskier

Many thanks for that, would you also know if a token is needed for the lockers (or a pound coin)?

No it's keypad on the lockers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went there today. The coin locker ate my pound so I used a code one. I set the code but I couldn't undo the locker at the end. A staff member had to do it for me. MK is still the best indoor snow btw... MCR is 2nd. Castleford is worst but is very quiet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Deveron53 wrote:
I went there today. The coin locker ate my pound so I used a code one. I set the code but I couldn't undo the locker at the end. A staff member had to do it for me. MK is still the best indoor snow btw... MCR is 2nd. Castleford is worst but is very quiet.

Something must have changed drastically at MK then because when I skied there in July it was shocking!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I like MK because of the rollers in the slope plus the centre support pillars. The snow quality is about the same. It makes it a bit more interesting. Also the shops around the centre are more useful. Chill Factore is in an industrial wasteland. Castleford is ok if you want a midweek ski with almost no-one around!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Deveron53, I found the snow at MK terrible, really slow, almost felt like I was slowing down through the turns, really strange sensation. Agree that it has some interesting features though with the rollers and as a result of the central pillars.

I'd take Chill Factore every day though, longer and wider.
snow report
MK might have the same piste-ing and snowmaking regime as Castleford. I was told that the snow is made on a Sunday night and not fully pisted until Monday night. Therefore, some patches of 'slow' snow may remain until pisted. I went to Castleford on a Monday morning and experienced a few patches of cream coloured snow that suddenly slowed me down! I remarked to an attendant and that's where I got my info from. You might have just visited on one of those days.
One thing I noticed at MCR is that the changing room area is too warm. I was sweating buckets as I got suited and booted!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy