Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine driving routes in winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm happy with the route to my chosen destination in Austria for a week in Jan but I'm thinking of extending and driving to a few more places the week after. Is there a good resource for finding out what roads/passes are generally kept open over the winter season? My cars sat nav will no doubt tell me the fastest/shortest route but I don't think it take into consideration seasonal road closures. Looking at routes from Ski Amade area to Dolomites/Brenta Dolomites and possibly Bormio/Livigno and returning through eastern Switzerland etc.
Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
For Switzerland all the info is provided here https://www.tcs.ch/fr/tools/inforoute-situation-trafic/cols-en-suisse.php
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@japes1275, https://www.drive-alive.co.uk/driving/alpine-passes.htm has some pointers.

Google Maps is generally aware of closures, as the traffic stats are based on automated user feedback and so their system can detect a closure within a few hours because the traffic levels drop to zero. They also get data fed to them by government bodies, so you'll frequently see timed closures on motorways be flagged up as well - that isn't based on real time information because I've had a couple of occasions where the road ahead was shown as closed in the app and I was recommended a diversion, but as I got to the start of the closure the road crews were in the process of closing it and had cones out over 1 lane at that point. Five minutes later it would have been fully closed, so they were running about 15 minutes behind schedule.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
does your sat nav have live traffic ? if so then it should get road closures. Evidently our Volvo did this via FM, the Merc has it for new cars then as a subscription option after 3(?) yrs.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Slight thread stray. Don't have a car but would like to try driving to a european ski resort this winter.

Does anyone know if it is possible to take a uk hire car abroad and if so any hire company that does this?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@japes1275, just use your smartphone (with data roaming) and Google Maps, the live updating shouldn't send you on a closed route and will reroute around any problems (not just snow-related) ahead.

The way from Ski Amade to the Dolomites is via the Katschberg or Felbertauern tunnels, down to Lienz and up the Drau/Drava valley into Italy or alternatively motorway all the way back out via Germany, Innsbruck and the Brenner motorway. All routes pretty much kept open throughout Winter, but a really heavy snowfall could mess things up.

Depends exactly where you mean in Dolomites and Brenta Dolomites as to routes through there. Even high passes are often kept open through winter, but look for a valley approach route if possible.

Eastern Switzerland is beyond my experience, but to get there from the Brenta will involve mountain passes (or a long detour) as there are no transalpine tunnels except the one-way one from Livigno into Switzerland. I believe there are car trains in winter to get out of the Engadine valley across into the Rhine Valley.

The fastest way out of N Italy to the UK is via St Gotthard tunnel with its motorway approaches both sides, but it's a fair way west of the Brenta.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@nahdendee, Europcar used to allow their cars out of the UK, my knowledge here is pre Brexit so things might have changed since. You might struggle to get winter tyres
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
From Bormio, the Bernina Pass between Tirano and St Moritz is usually open.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Having been diverted from the Brenner Pass ( closed due to accident) I was diverted via Merano (ss40) and I did notice the road to St Moritz was being well used , it is not a major road but it doesnt go over any high passes
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone, some good info and suggestions there. I’ve just managed to work out how to connect my phone to my cars ‘infotainment’ system and I can now use Google maps sat nav on my cars screen - which is pretty handy! So I should be able to have live traffic info as long as I have a signal and enough data while roaming. Still makes it a bit difficult to plan ahead for a route but to be honest I’m probably just going to head for where the snow is best (for skiing and/or driving) so will be doing that at the last minute anyway.

If I head that way I was thinking of returning via Livigno so I’ll either use the tunnel or maybe go through St Moritz.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Still makes it a bit difficult to plan ahead

That's the nature of the beast. Some passes are likely to be closed all winter (e.g. the Cormet de Roselend) and some will be open except when it's very snowy (e.g. Col des Montets). Some will be signposted as closed ALL the way up the valley and then an Italian policeman will let you through if he's in the mood, and you have snow tyres (e.g. the Passo Campolongo between Corvara and Arabba when I drove over it during the famous "snowmageddon" event)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
https://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenpaesse
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BoardieK wrote:
https://www.alpen-journal.de/alpenpaesse

Good link.

There are at least 414 major Western European Alpine and near-Alpine passes (mountaintop roads).

Austria = 31%
France = 28%
Switzerland = 20%
Italy = 15%
Slovenia = 4%
Germany = 3%
Total = 100% (rounded)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That is a great link BoardieK, thanks!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In case it's helpful to those driving around the Alps looking for a place to stop and ski, I've found that Chamonix has quite a bit of short-stay accommodation available at short notice.

If i spend a week in an alpine resort, and then fancy another couple of days given fantastic conditions, then Chamonix is where i look to first.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy