Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Monterosa ski in mid December?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

I have the option of skiing few days before Christmas (16.-19. Dec) somewhere close to Milan Malpensa - and want to make the most of it.

After doing some research it seems like Cervinia and Monterosa is my best bet, but as I've recently visited Cervinia my aim is set at Monterosa.

Although I know Monterosa reputation is largely from its great off-piste - my group focus is mostly on piste skiing (mileage) good restaurants, scenery and nice weather.

I've been looking at accommodation in Gressoney and it looks like a bargain for these days. I worry if that's because most of the lifts/piste will still be closed at that time? And the connection between the three valleys in Monterosa?

Their web page says the resort is open from December 1st - but should I just be expecting a few lifts/piste open pre-Christmas with no valley runs open and connections between valleys? I know this probably varies between years - but does anyone know what I should realistically be expecting in terms of open lifts/piste at 16. - 19. Dec based on previous years situation at that time?

And also, should I maybe be looking at other resorts that could have more piste milage so early (ViaLattea, LaThuile or maybe drive all the way to Livigno?)

Thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pila should be fully open by then, if not then everywhere else will be struggling.

Gressoney has a lot of snowmaking and lifts that you can lap without needing to go all the way down to the valley.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@leifur26, we usually/often do a weekend in Champoluc the first-ish weekend in December as they try and open most pistes that weekend for some religious/satanic* holiday or another. At least, you can usually do the main rsystem runs. Most mountain/Champoluc restaurants start opening properly about then.

Not guaranteed, YMMV ...

* I can't tell the difference.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the replies! Smile

@under a new name - when you say "you can usually do the main rsystem runs" does that mean I can do the Monterosa circle (Champoluc -> Stafal -> Alagna and back) without having to download a lift?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@leifur26, generally, yes. But not always. Not (obviously) guaranteed. I think our last easrly trip, Dec 2021, we couldn't get to Alagna, but that may have been due to kids and a very fine lunch elsewhere.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The one time I've been to Champoluc - for a two week Christmas/New Year holiday, they had precisely one run open for the Christmas week. To be fair, it was a very nice run, but it did get a bit boring. I think I was very unlucky and I keep meaning to go back to Champoluc when it's got decent snow. Even with limited skiing it was a lovely place.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Valkyrie, when was that? It's a bit unusual, although not unknown (they have pretty good snowmaking) - I'm trying to recall if I remember it. Maybe ?? 2016- ish or something when the whole alps were pretty dry? We certainly weren't skiing whatever year that was out of Chamonix
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy