Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BA Hold baggage Club vs Economy allowance question

Poster: A snowHead
Morning peeps, I know there are a few BA Club vs Economy blackbelts on here, so floating this question to see if anyone knows the answer.

I've got economy seats booked for LGW-SZG in January and they have offered quite an attractive upgrade price and we were probably going to take one extra bag, and maybe two, for skis at least anyway. What I wondered though, is if we upgrade on the outbound leg only, so fly Club Europe from LGW but only economy back from SZG and take one or two extra bags on way out (e.g. 6 in hold for the four of us) would they give us that allowance on our economy return leg flights or would we have to pay extra?

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@dunc999, Unfortunately not. Years ago there was a trick to buy Economy on one leg and Business on the other leg and that gave you the Biz baggage on both legs. BA stopped doing that a while back. I guess too many people were doing it and they cottoned on to it.

First point is check what economy it is. If flying on a connecting flight EG Glasgow to London then SZG you will be in the economy ticket that has 23kg hold baggage (which can be your skis). If flying from London there is Hand baggage only economy as well. Be careful you book economy plus (or whatever it is called) and not HBO economy.

In economy BA allow one standard Cabin bag AND one under the seat bag (EG a small rucsac or laptop bag). I usually put my boots, helmet and essential clothing in the cabin bag in case the hold bag goes missing, and then put SKIS, Poles etc in the Ski bag which is part of your standard allowance (as a hold bag). Now BA always make an announcement at the gate on a busy flight if anyone wants to check in their cabin bag. I don't go this myself but if you don't want to drag around a bag it is something to note.

Remember that a busuness upgrade also gets you priority boarding and fast track security and Lounge access. It also includes free food/drinks in the lounge and food drinks on the flight. AND instead of 3 people in a row, the middle seat is left free so you have more room.

Gatwick is a lovely lounge but the airport is mobbed so if you don't have BA status that gets lounge access and the price is okay, the benefit of a relaxed lounge, free food, extra bags for free on the flight in business, fast track security (LGW is quick) and not having to be hanging around in an airport that is traditionally mobbed, I think it is worth the upgrade.

Cheers
GC

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 18-09-23 9:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@dunc999, nope, allowance is leg by leg according to the fare conditions of each. (But I believe they used to allow you to have the max allowed for the best leg for the round trip).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys, I thought there was historic discussion about max allowed for best leg, but wanted to check.

Yes we have economy plus which gives the 23kg+cabin+rucksack.
I have a Dakine 190 long bag that I usually use for all my kit, but all 4 of us are taking skis. I think I'd get all 4 in the Dakine with maybe a couple of bindings off, under the 23kg, but then would also need a hold bag on top, hence the extra bag, and we might need 2 for the skis. It's £90 return for the extra bags if I book in advance, so if we take the 2 extra bags, return upgrades to Club Europe works out at £110 a head, which is close to being a no-brainer!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
In business, the weight allowance is 32kg per hold bag as well so no worries about what goes where. At that price I'd snap their hands off
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Just be aware that sometimes the headline price they offer for the upgrade isn’t quite accurate. I was looking at doing this for a ski trip back in March flying BA and I needed an extra bag. I think the original price of upgrade was £89 but once I’d looked in to doing it there were other airport fees and taxes applied which took it up another £30 or £40 and it was not worth doing compared to the extra luggage fee.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@dunc999, £110 club europe is a no brainer. 110-45 for a bag = £65 =£32.50/leg

£32.50 - £6 fast track - £15 lunch in airport = about £10 for all the other benefits. As you say a no brainer.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How big will your bags be?

I can get my boots/clothes into a BA carry on sized bag - but it's a bit of a PITA to lug it around the airport, in addition to my under seat bag...so when I'm checking my skis in at the desk I just ask "Could I check my carry on bag too?". So far the responce has been "Oh course, no problem." with no charge every time. From their PoV it's carry on sized so going on the plane either way, and in the hold it's one less bag fighting for locker space/one less customer they might have to request/force to check their carry on bag at the gate.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They used to, but ended it about 5 years ago
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mjit wrote:
... I can get my boots/clothes into a BA carry on sized bag - but it's a bit of a PITA to lug it around the airport, in addition to my under seat bag...so when I'm checking my skis in at the desk I just ask "Could I check my carry on bag too?"....
The downside of that is that if they misplace hold bags... you lose your boots. Modern boots weigh half what old boots weighed, reducing the PITA (pain in the shoulder).
Wheel-on cabin bags are less flexible, but much easier to manage in security/ immigration queues if lugging boots.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Meh, not ideal but boots can always be hired if the bag's just delayed (and probably good for my technique to ski in loose boots!) /no issue with BA buying my next pair of boots if lost.

And North Face Duffle bags all the way for me. Rucksack straps for any longer distances, with a couple of carabiners to clip on day pack/under seat bag onto the back of the duffle to keep both arms free for the ski case.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mjit,
Quote:

boots can always be hired

Perish the thought. I never let mine out of my sight!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you have any avios knocking around, you could upgrade with points
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions, I had been mulling it over myself, but once I floated it to the other 3 fellas on the trip they were "why are you even thinking about it, just do it!" So I have!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now you just have the challenge to come out cost neutral on your upgrade.
- Club Europe gives you lounge access, which gives you free food and drink - so fill your boots (and a couple of mini Coke cans into your bag for later). If you were going to have airport restaurant food/couple of drinks that's probably the best part of £50 each saved.
- Club Europe gives you an in flight meal and drink for free too - and you shouldn't have any issues getting 2 (baby) bottles of Champagne each in on an London/Alpes flight. OK, maybe you'd just have bought a single beer in the back of the bus but still what £5?

The Gatwick lounge is quite nice (and has a shortcut from security so you don't have to snake round and around Duty Free) and looks like while there's no dedicated BA lounge at Salzberg there is one your Club Europe boarding pass will get you into.
ski holidays
Should have no trouble with with that given the price of food and drink at the airport and on aircraft vs free in the lounge and plane. And the time saved at check in and security.

But note at many small o’seas airports the BA check ins only open 3 to 2 1/2 hours ahead of takeoff so limits the time you have to enjoy the lounge access and gratis F&B.
snow conditions
Yeah, have no fear we will definitely come out cost neutral!

Our trip and transfer timings are such that we should be in resort in time to take advantage of the fact the lift pass runs from 3pm the day before, but I doubt we'll be in any fit state to ski at 3pm!!
snow report
@dunc999, such are the pros and cons of “free” booze, or booze to get your monies worth.
latest report
ster wrote:
But note at many small o’seas airports the BA check ins only open 3 to 2 1/2 hours ahead of takeoff so limits the time you have to enjoy the lounge access and gratis F&B.

Normally a dedicated lane for Club Europe check-in though, so gets a bit of that lounge time back.
snow report
@Mjit, yup as I said time saving on check in and security . But they don’t open any earlier.
snow report
@dunc999, when you get your gear from the security scan. You will go left to a wide set of steps that takes you the shops. Don’t go down them. Look to the left wall and you’ll see a corridor. Walk there to the lifts and they take you to the lounge.
latest report
Of course with all this talk of making the most of the lounge/in flight food and drink do keep the length of your transfer in mind. Nothing worse than rolling around the switch backs up the mountain to your resort with a blader that's about to burst Very Happy
snow report
@Mjit, thats why you take the bottle(s) that you emptied in the lounge with you.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy