Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

road trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everybody
dreaming planning a road trip this december. Tignes- la thuile- Cervina. just being using google maps and was wondering how the road between bourg and la thuile is in the winter, i dont want to be planning heading up a closed mountain pass. is best way home from cervina through mont blanc tunnel? i could have a cheeky saturday in Chamonix (never been there yet).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@powderfetish, The road between Bourg Saint Maurice and La Thuile is closed between October and May.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 14-09-23 10:57; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
so it would be back to albertville?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Mont Blanc tunnel may be closed as well, depending on how they get on with the safety works
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ffs
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
forgot about la thuile, what's best route from tignes to cervina in dec by car?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have read the italian/French government's are holding off the 15 week safety work until next year.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
powderfetish wrote:
forgot about la thuile, what's best route from tignes to cervina in dec by car?

Drive to Zermatt/Tasch and commute by the new gondi link?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
family and friends already booked in cervina and i would like to do the PSB the week before.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wait and see which tunnels are open.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I wanted to ski in Cervinia and Tignes via Chamonix I would head from Tignes direct to Chamonix if the roads were all open. If closed I would go via Albertville, Annecy, and maybe even via Geneva if the smaller roads were closed.

Personally, I would stick to that route, and go to Zermatt in Switzerland via Lausanne as these roads are well looked after. Maybe stop off on the way to Zermatt for a cheeky visit to Verbier via the Le chable cable car.

In the days I did this there was no mobile internet, or at least I did not have any. I would just base my decisions on the conditions when I set off, and listen to local radio (as I can grasp some French)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You're either looking at up to Chamonix and through the Mont Blanc tunnel, or via the Fréjus tunnel at Modane, both fairly long ways round but there's some rather large mountains in the way!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@powderfetish, likely route by car....Albertville, Modane, Frejus tunnel, Turin, Cervinia as least "friction" road route and unlikely to be closed at any point. Or at least most reduced risk given the previous posts about MB route.

It's an easy drive that way after Albertville.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
just googled the long way aroundvia turin which is fine (400km) to get there as i have two days to kill ie stop skiing on friday in tignes and 1st day on monday in cervina but will be a pain in the ass for coming back to the UK. lets hope MB tunnel open.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
could maybe come down to bourg/paradiski for sat/sunday then hit the rest of the 400km (370km) sunday evening with cheap digs close to cervina sunday night.

tignes to cervina via chamonix 260km

so theres options for what ever happens. lets wait for admin with buttons......
latest report
Some very good skiing you're passing in Maurienne valley if you want to break it up.

Frejus ski area sits above the tunnel and with very good cost of accommodation usually. Decent ski area accompanied by good food costs too. It'd make a very good intermediate venue.

The other side of tunnel, in Italy, is right past the entrance to "Via Latea" ski area with Sauze d'Oulx very easily reached. Both would offer a very good contrast to Tigne and Cervinia to fit in an extra ski.
snow report
@ski3 will have a butchers. Thankyou
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
You're either looking at up to Chamonix and through the Mont Blanc tunnel, or via the Fréjus tunnel at Modane, both fairly long ways round but there's some rather large mountains in the way!

Or Chamonix - Martigny - Grand Saint Bernard tunnel - Aosta - Cervinia.
ski holidays
rjs wrote:
swskier wrote:

Or Chamonix - Martigny - Grand Saint Bernard tunnel - Aosta - Cervinia.

Good point, but only worthwhile if MB tunnel is closed?
snow conditions
@swskier, I think it is shorter than going through the Fréjus tunnel.
ski holidays
@powderfetish, there’s no particular reason for the TMB to be closed …
snow report
The Mont Blanc tunnel works that were scheduled to take place for 15 weeks from September this year have been delayed until September next year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy