Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maria Alm - Austria - Feb Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I have read through the threads on this resort and a few online.

Would you mind if i double check if you think its ok for a slightly nervous intermediate. My son has skied quite a few times but the last time was 2 years ago in Champoluc. It was busy, icy and lots of cutting up on the slope which hurt his confidence.

I have read this is a great resort but then another that said its blues are really steep and only suitable to advanced skiers.

Another query was if it was too low for Feb half term?

I love the sound of it as its small, we can toboggan and I can try some walking (now a non skier)

Thanks so much in advance.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CeliaCo, we've spent several half terms over the last 10 years around the corner in Saalbach/Hinterglemm, and we've had maybe 3 day trips out to Maria Alm.

Conditions were fine in February - they will be all over Austria, as anywhere which isn't in February will not remain open for long.

Slopes vary, everywhere. Some blues are shallow and cruisey, some are steep for short sections but wide, and all are completely different between a blue sky day and a day with falling snow over ice. There are plenty of blue slopes in the Hochkonig area which are easy enough, some good reds, and a very small number of black runs.

Maria Alm has the benefit of being at one end of the area, so it is possible to travel a long way and then return - it takes good skiers much of the day to do so, so a blue run skier won't manage it. On the downside, every day the journey is the same - there's only one way you can go to leave Maria Alm.

Even in half term there were no crowds. It was pleasantly busy, rather than overrun, and queues were minimal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@CeliaCo, Great little resort and plenty of snow in February. As the skiing improves you'll be able to get further across the Hochkonig following the "King's Trail". Lots of lovely mountain stops. The reds across the whole area are nice and wide so not too challenging for lower-end skiers. I'd suggest you book a few lessons on the first couple of days to build confidence, then go for it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both. Thats super kind.

@ouskjarr - when you say there is only one way to leave, you mean by going up the Naturbahn, and crossing over to the Abergbahn and then up from there?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@CeliaCo, exactly - once you've got bored of just skiing the slopes on Natrun back to the village, and explore a little further, every day will start with the same up and over and then up Aberg Langeck, so you'll find yourself repeating these two lifts and a run every day. It's not a major issue, but it becomes repetitive.

If instead you chose Dienten you'd have two ways to leave the village, which provides variety. It may not matter to you, in which case Maria Alm is a nice little place. One benefit of Maria Alm is that you can finish the day on the top of Natrun at the Almhutte Tom, and then ski down in the twilight on empty pistes.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Many thanks - I currently have around 40 tabs open and am deciding between Maria Alm and Ortisei in the Dolomites
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy