Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

anyone used usedski.co.uk and skisecondhand.com ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone has some experience and can provide some help...

I'm currently looking at getting some used skis but most companies with a decent range seem to be based in the EU.

I can't find much info on these companies, has anyone used them recently?
https://usedski.co.uk/
https://skisecondhand.com/

Any suggestions on reputable sites would be welcome.

There are obviously quite a few on ebay, does anyone know if ebay make sure the VAT is taken care of ? I don't want a nasty surprise Sad
thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Both companies linked are EU based

I've bought second hand ski gear from EBAY and never paid VAT
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@richb67, why would VAT be a surprise? it's well known it's 20% Puzzled no surprise there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just bought a pair or 2023 Head Magnums from skisecondhand. Communication was excellent. The skis are being sent directly to the hotel which we use in Selva, so no VAT and free shipping. Not had the tracking info or payment conformation yet. I'll update when I've received both.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@albob, you only pay VAT if it is a company. If it is a person to person sale there is no VAT.

@Mollerski, there is import duty and VAT due on import into the UK. However, if you have your own ski bag they will probably assume that you are coming back with skis you took out.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mollerski wrote:
I've just bought a pair or 2023 Head Magnums from skisecondhand. Communication was excellent. The skis are being sent directly to the hotel which we use in Selva, so no VAT and free shipping. Not had the tracking info or payment conformation yet. I'll update when I've received both.

thanks, sounds promising, interestingly they've not responded to my request for clarification. Are they holding on to these for you for a while ?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@albob, you only pay VAT if it is a company. If it is a person to person sale there is no VAT.

@Mollerski, there is import duty and VAT due on import into the UK. However, if you have your own ski bag they will probably assume that you are coming back with skis you took out.

yep. That's the plan. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richb67 wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

thanks, sounds promising, interestingly they've not responded to my request for clarification. Are they holding on to these for you for a while ?

No, hopefully they're winging their way to the Val Gardena valley as we speak. It's a family run hotel which we've been using for years. It's not the first time that we've used this ploy. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mollerski wrote:

No, hopefully they're winging their way to the Val Gardena valley as we speak. It's a family run hotel which we've been using for years. It's not the first time that we've used this ploy. Madeye-Smiley

Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ski second hand have a couple of monoskis available by the looks of it. tempting.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@afterski, I once (1989) skied the “Swiss Wall” on a monoski. Didn’t fall either.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just received this from skisecondhand.-
Hello Chris,

We have received your payment. We are preparing the skis today, they will be packed safely and tomorrow the courier will pick them up. Serviced with hot wax. I will message you the tracking number, delivery by GLS.

Best regards!

Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I bought some Factions for my partner from skibarn which is the same deal. Turned up fast, as described and no extra to pay on arrival. Would totally use them again, only issue is if they have your size as it's a fairly random selection.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
How old are these secondhand products?

How many miles / km have they done?

Old boots, skis, and bindings can break, snap, or crack.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
You can usually tell the age by the graphics and sometimes they list the year. Generally a year or two but I've seen some older stuff. How many KMs? Not sure there's any way you'd realistically know that with any used equipment, so you just need to judge by the external condition. I guess you takes your chances. Your call whether the cash you save is worth the chance you take. I've bought various used skis over the years and they've always been fine. I'd rather buy them from someone on e-bay given the choice but some of the ex-hire stuff is totally fine - for me anyway.

I'm kinda new to this forum. I might try and trade my Hero Elite + for something a little longer on here and see how that goes. I buy almost everything used TBH but know some people who won't buy anything used, so I suppose you may or not be comfortable with taking the chance.
ski holidays
After having a quick look at those websites it doesn't look like any of the bindings on the skis are GW sole compatible.
latest report
so www.usedski.co.uk responded to my query very quickly and confirmed the price you see is the price you pay.

Once you've ordered they ship them from Austria to their UK warehouse so it all goes through customs then they are dispatched to UK from the UK so surprise demands for VAT.
ski holidays
@spyderjon, presumably if they say 'universal fit' then they'll be ok ?

genuine question - for a ski since ca 2020 is this something to watch out for ?
latest report
richb67 wrote:
@spyderjon, presumably if they say 'universal fit' then they'll be ok?.....

Err, no. The correct nomenclature is GW for a binding that is alpine sole and GripWalk sole compliant. If they don't say that then you should seek clarification. A compliant binding with have GW clearing printed on the AFD of the binding.

richb67 wrote:
@spyderjon.....genuine question - for a ski since ca 2020 is this something to watch out for?

2020 was on the cusp of the switch over to GW and there were plenty of bindings that were still alpine only, particularly those on rail systems.
snow conditions
@spyderjon, thanks good to know. They could certainly do better photos to make that clear, I can just make out the logo on one pair but not on another
snow report
Mine are 2023 model eMagnums with the standard fit PRD12GW bindings. I've checked the photos. The skis are in close to new condition in the photos. I can hardly see a mark on them. I've paid proper money for them I may add. Not so cheap as to be whiffy.
snow conditions
Good find Eh oh! Eh oh! they also confirmed to me via email to that VAT and delivery included as mentioned above.

182 Deacon 80s inbound soon Eh oh!
snow report
Feedback on this one. The skis arrived today, no import hassles or added fees.

Mine were listed condition wise on the website as "very good" which I think was optimistic... I'd say they are average. Given they are 2023 models they must have been on the hill most days of the season. Bases look ok, but don't look like they have just been ground.

That said, the skis are £750 new and I paid £280 so I'm still happy. Much less worried about damaging them myself!!!

Thanks
Mike
ski holidays
Mine were delivered promptly to our hotel in Selva promptly. I'll inspect them in mid. December. Madeye-Smiley Comms were excellent throughout.
snow conditions
@Mike_E, @Mollerski,
thanks for the feedback.

Unfortunately usedski.co.uk sold out of the skis my wife was after. Shame as they seem a decent enough company.

I received no answer from skisecondhand re UK VAT, however they have an ebay shop and it appears that if importing into the UK there "should" be VAT//Duty on top, so that's an additional 22.5%. (20% duty + 2.5% handling), in reality it probably depends on what paperwork they complete.
snow report
For clarity I used www.usedski.co.uk.

The website for secondhandski seemed terrible and the filters did not work.

Keep checking back as I bought mine and they were out of stock for a while but another set appeared. Seems to have a fair bit of stock.

Thanks
Mike
snow report
Mike_E wrote:
........That said, the skis are £750 new and I paid £280 so I'm still happy........

This would only be true if the rental version of the ski is the same as the consumer version.

Just sayin'
snow conditions
I just got a set of Volkl’s off ski secondhand.com. I’m pretty disappointed TBH. The bases are in great condition and the tops have only minor scratches but the edges are sooooo thin! I really expected more for a ski that they are asking £300 for on eBay. These are a rental SC version and not the full SL version. Not sure what they’d be worth new but probably not a huge amount. I’d return them but I’m skiing on the 28th and there’s no time to sort a replacement now. They’ll be fine for this trip but I won’t be using them for years to come thats for sure. Crying or Very sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
to be fair I ended up returning mine and got a full refund (minus shipping)... the more I looked the more tired they appeared.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy