Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia at Christmas - high winds and lift closures likely?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are considering going to Cervinia for the Christmas week, 23-30 December this year. I have read on Tripadvisor that high winds and lift closures are common at this time of the year and that in previous years, some people have only been able to ski 2 days out of 6, or something like that. Is it correct that Cervinia is more likely to be affected by high winds and lift closures than other high altitude resorts such as Val Thorens or Tignes at this time of the year? If it is true, this would really put me off from going to this resort in late December.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cervinia is prone to wind at any time of year. I'm not sure if it's any more likely in Dec. I've done a December trip to the Cervinia and had glorious weather. You take your chances I feel.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I missed 2 out of 4 days skiing in Tignes one October - too much wind up high. December is always going to be a bit of a gamble, wherever you go.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia is prone to high winds, more than other high areas. Especially in January and December. Was in Zermatt last January and while the Swiss side was open every day, Cervinia was at least partially closed on 3 days. 2 years ago was in Cervinia at the end of March and it was warm, sunny and glorious.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Cervinia is prone to wind at any time of year.

Any more than anywhere else high 7 glaciated? Data rather than anecdote?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have skied 3 or 4 weeks per year for more than 40 years and (except for heli-skiing) I can only remember one day when there was no skiing at all (in Alagna). But admittedly I never stayed in Cervinia, and some days the wind made it a bit unpleasant, which is a different matter.
Back when I was a child there was once no snow at all in Lech at Christmas week. (Sorry, I'm rambling off piste.)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Cervinia in Jan 2022 - my brother lost 1.5 days of skiing due to winds keeping the lower lifts shut. We came out the following week and also lost 1.5 days. Zermatt on the other side was not impacted, nor were any other resorts I checked (VT, la plagne). One morning we drove to Valtourneche and got the lift from there - there was no wind, and in was baked in sunshine. It's only a short drive so that's always an option.

It's relatively common thing as far as I can tell - the big issue being that the wind impacts the main two lifts of out the town. So you're stuck. Whereas in other resorts it feels like there are more options to get onto the mountain, and the lower lifts are less likely to be affected by wind (maybe just a few of the higher ones closed).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Listening wrote:
Was in Zermatt last January and while the Swiss side was open every day, Cervinia was at least partially closed on 3 days.

It's worth noting that if you are in Zermatt and the link is closed the App & info signs can show that the whole of Cervinia is closed even though it's only the link that's closed
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@under a new name, can't be bothered to look for stats, but in Dec, Jan, I know quite a few people that have experienced lift closures in Cervinia, much more than other high areas. I think that the problem is the layout, as there are no sheltered lifts. Great place for later in the season though
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone for your replies, that have confirmed what I suspected was the case. We will be going to a different resort for Christmas.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Listening, I can believe that but it’s still anecdote wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Motherofthree, Missed this thread yesterday but good decision. I went albeit in the 90s 1st week in Jan , skied 2 days out of 6 , wind and snow for the other 4 days when cleared not much was open as all the snow had blown away and the glacier was blue went again 10 years later and was grounded for at least two days wind was so bad everyone had to wear Goggles walking down the high st . But can I say I like Cervina but would only go in March or April . Find another resort it doesn’t have to be Val Thorens or Tignes just look for somewhere with a decent amount of skiing above 2000m but with trees at that time of year , and you should be ok . If you fancy Italy look at La Thuille or Courmayeur .
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Average wind speed across all of Italy in December is 7mph.

Zermatt is 3mph.

Cervinia is 18mph.

Other sources, like Wanderlog, place the average for Cervinia and Zermatt around (a similar) 8-10mph.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s a very high col between the northern and southern alps so is a natural route for the wind between the two and presumably some overhead lifts are particularly exposed in certain directions. Funnelling the weather may be the reason why it also tends to get heavier snowfall than Zermatt which is more sheltered.
Cairngorm has a similar effect in a south easterly airflow squeezing the air and accelerating its flow locally.
The Good Ski Guide and Where to Ski note that Cervinia can be windy particularly in early season.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skied in over 40 resorts, Cervinia is the only place I’ve skied that closed due to winds. Once on each trip there. Both trips were in December too. Perhaps we were just unlucky…
snow report
January 2021 in Cervinia we lost 1/.5 days and had to be bused to Pila on another.
snow conditions
We have done at least 10 weeks in Cervinia over the last 15 years (of which probably half have been in December) and have never lost a day. The links to Zermatt have been shut occasionally, but there has always been skiing available.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy