Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

YYC to YXC

Poster: A snowHead
Help required. Any snowHead know why it is so hard to find a one way rental from Calgary to Cranbrook airports - only available provider is National offering a VW Jetta or Chrysler 300 - neither of which float my boat for a January road trip....any recommendations or suggestions welcome. Thank you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Perhaps Cranbrook is such a small airport that they only want a couple of types there.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your issue is likely that Cranbrook being a smaller airport may only have franchisees of the major brands who tend to have their own fleet. Bit of a weird open jaw anyway it isn't that far back to YYC from Fernie.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don’t trust the website. Likely worth a phone call. I live locally and things tend to work out better with a phone call.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Snowsartre, why not fly?

Funnily, for an "International" "airport" Puzzled there aren't any international flights Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@motdoc, Good idea, will try that option too.

@under a new name, need wheels as have business en route from Calgary and Lethbridge then along a certain highway Very Happy

Anyone got experience of a Chrysler 300 in the snow (even with winter/ m + s) tyres? I have a rear wheel automatic at home and it barely moves in a cm of snow!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had a 100 or 200 once ( whatever was the fwd compact) that was just like a Focus. But I wouldn't focus on the specific models unless you've spoken to the desk and they are guaranteeing them.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowsartre wrote:
@motdoc, Good idea, will try that option too.

@under a new name, need wheels as have business en route from Calgary and Lethbridge then along a certain highway Very Happy

Anyone got experience of a Chrysler 300 in the snow (even with winter/ m + s) tyres? I have a rear wheel automatic at home and it barely moves in a cm of snow!

Depends how you feel about fishtailing all over the place! Very Happy

One way car rentals in Canada are VERY rare and MUCH more expensive. Fernie to YYC is an easy drive. Just return the car back to Calgary. There will be more flight options from there too.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm curious what you're overall itinerary looks like? Personally I'd drive back to Calgary rather than trying to fly. Flights likely delayed or cancelled pretty often as I'm guessing Cranbrook is VFR (visual flight rules) only and so it's not going to take much January weather to shut it down.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks all for the information provided. By way of an update, I have booked a one way rental from YYC to YXC and will be flying from YXC to YVR which minimizes drive time.

@sweaman22 thanks for adding another worry wink never heard of VFR!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should have added that am then picking up a Toyota Land Cruiser (forgot what they are called in Canada - Frontrunner?) at YXC for a few extra days so swapping cars same day as drive from YYC - looking at either a large SUV or Chrysler - the latter does not seem to be subject to the one way fee which is odd. Puzzled

I wonder if I pre-pay whether they can add it at airport....in which case will avoid the Chrysler as won't save 200 CADs.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Snowsartre,

I've not flown into or out of Cranbrook, but have flown into out of Castlegar in the winter (was oblivious to its reputation - amazingly managed both in and out Madeye-Smiley ) which also has VFR.
Flights were canceled every day except the day we flew out, so spent all week trying to figure out alternatives.

Now we just drive. Is there a reason you'd rather fly?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@stuarth

Being British, I am not a huge fan of long drives and don’t have much experience of driving in snow. Further, having driven the Coquihalla a few times in lairy conditions, I prefer to fly. Saves time and stress (but not if flights are cancelled)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Canadian winter flights are pretty unreliable (especially to / from local airports)... but having said that the roads also aren't brilliant either. The key thing in either circumstance is to leave lots of connection buffer and don't have your schedule down to the wire...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@sweaman22,

How bad is the road(s - guess you can go via Fernie or Invermere?) from Cranbrook to Calgary? Not driven there so no experience myself, but I'd have thought the worst bit would be the bit of 3 west towards Creston, ie not the bit @Snowsartre needs to worry about?
Driven 3/3a west of Nelson quite a few times and that can get a little wild! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Only gradients really are over the Crowsnest on 3 and they never seemed that sketchy to me compared to Rogers Pass. Guess wind on the AB side can be an issue including polishing the road surface.
snow conditions
As Dave says - the wind on the 22 S can be pretty special and I'd avoid driving it on Friday night or Sunday to avoid the Fernie weekenders but otherwise it's not as bad as Rogers pass unless you are truly unlucky. I hate the 93S (Banff to Invermere) just because it's long, dark and lonely so I'd probably go via Fernie anyway for Cranbrook.
snow conditions
I will be driving from Lethbridge to Nelson - is that along the roads mentioned above?
ski holidays
Snowsartre, Yep its along the no.3 an ok road as mentioned just around Crowsnest Pass can get closed, but never had it yet the times we've driven it.

Rumrunner there is good for food btw . Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@Snowsartre, Check out "Canadian Affair" car rental deals, to see if they can sort it for you. I've never found anywhere cheaper.
I managed to get a 7 seater Suburban from them for 14 days for less then £700 the season before last. We only used 4 of the seats ... but its great to have plenty of room for the kit.
latest report
I think Avis, it was certainly one of the biggies.
snow report
@DrLawn,
Thank you for the recommendation- have used them several times they do Avis cars at bargain prices. They could not deliver this one way rental as they don’t operate to YXC. In fact, only National has one way rentals YYC - YXC and they have just released additional vehicle categories so have hired a full size suv which should do the job. 199 cads for the one way fee but happy enough with that.
latest report
DrLawn wrote:
@Snowsartre, Check out "Canadian Affair" car rental deals, to see if they can sort it for you. I've never found anywhere cheaper.
I managed to get a 7 seater Suburban from them for 14 days for less then £700 the season before last. We only used 4 of the seats ... but its great to have plenty of room for the kit.

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Know what you mean about space, last Canadian road trip we were given an upgrade to a Ford Expedition, 20 miles on the clock for the two of us Madeye-Smiley

Managed to add further 2k before we returned it - just watch CA Affair as they limit to 200km per day. Prices are similar to Rentalcars tbh.
snow report
@Snowsartre, I live in Nelson. If you are in Whitewater for a ski and want to I could show you round (if I’m not working)?
ski holidays
TOLOCOMAN wrote:
...One way car rentals in Canada are VERY rare and MUCH more expensive....
About $200 last season. How much did they charge you, then? Perhaps they thought you were a tosser and charged you more.

Seriously, why are there so many people on the internet who just make stuff up? Some of us actually do this stuff, you know, so you can post BS here, but you're fairly likely to be called out on it.
snow conditions
Last time we did Nelson to Lethbridge we had to catch a ferry? It was summer and It was free but if a vehicle carrying something dangerous ( radioactive stuff or explosive) was booked onto the ferry you had to wait for the next ferry ( 60 mins in summer ) . It was 7 years ago !
snow report
They have special explosive carrying ferry schedule Smile It's normally planned, but not always. It's the longest free ferry ride in the world and, I understand, largely sponsored by the Americans via the Columbia basin trust - ie they get to moderate the water flow so less flooding / rivers don't run dry down to Oregon. But they have to pay BC money because that's where the water is.
ski holidays
Google maps shows journey being an hour quicker to dodge the ferry and head south from Nelson towards Creston to Lethbridge and the reverse to get to Nelson from Lethbridge?

@motdoc, Thanks for the offer of guiding.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The Salmo Creston pass is pretty high. They look after it well but in a storm or if the freezing level is mid mountain it might be worth looking at the ferry. The pass is normally the best way, the road from the ferry down to Creston (both ways pass through) is low altitude but slow and winding.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy