Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thones

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks... Long shot but I'm looking for some info on Thônes, as an option for an October half term holiday... I am fully aware of the time of year, and that a lot of towns/villages pretty much close down at this time, however, I've also been to some places during this October time (Les Contamines) and there has been a bit of a buzz still with some restaurants still open and the odd bar also...

I've only ever driven through Thônes and it always 'seemed' pretty quiet, but reading up about it online, it looks to be a larger town than I have seen and believed it to be, with quite the selection of places to eat etc... So I'm basically looking to see if there is anyone that has been there out of season, or maybe lives in or around the area and understand what it might be like in late October...? Alos, what the hiking etc. might be like around this area...?

Like I said, long shot but hoping there is 'someone' out there that might be able to help Happy

Thx in advance lovely people Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Can't comment on Thones. But my sister and I were in Combloux for a few days in May and it was delightful. Several restaurants and other shops open, superb boulangerie, lots of lovely food and wine available. The tourist office was open and welcoming, and the view of Mont Blanc is stunning. We stayed in an AirBnB at very reasonable cost. One of the places we visited was St Gervais, which would be a good bet if you want something bigger. We also drove to Chamonix and up the Aiguille du Midi cable car on a mind-blowingly good sunny day.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends a great deal on the weather. I cycled past in the second half of last October (TR here: https://pistehors.com/jFvW8YMBFehy1ochC5mB/col-des-aravis-croix-fry-and-marais-savoie-france) and it was hot, probably hotter than an English summer. Mountain cafes on the cols open. Lot of holiday makers around - generally older crowd taking advantage of "reasonable" weather (as opposed to th hell's furnace of August) to do some cycling or hiking.

The autumn is really the best time in the Alps. I've done grand cols in late November - at least on the south side.

Col de la Madeleine, 21st November 2021.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, autumn can be wonderful.

This was a cold day! Drove up from Saisies towards the the Col de Joly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We sometimes spend a night by the river in Thones when travelling through in the motorhome. It seems quiet most of the time but there are a lot more shops than you'd expect. Apart from dog walking I haven't explored the surroundings though.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thx folks... Yes I have to agree, I love autumn in the Alps, for all the reasons you've mentioned. We were in Les Contamines last October and it was like a busy summer's day... I know the area around Les Contamines quite well so have a decent understanding of what could be open or closed, but we want to try somewhere different this year and a property (in Thones) on OVO, reasonably priced, has raised our interest levels...

But, I don;t want to get there and the place be like a ghost town with literally nothing open (even any supermarkets etc.)

Thx again though all for your posts Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@AlpineAddict, ask the tourist office? if this is the right Thones infos@thonescoeurdesvallees.com
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, good idea... Thx Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy