Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val d'Isere vs Courchevel 1650

Poster: A snowHead
Need some help please!

Deciding between doing a season (2023-24) as a chalet girl either in Val d’isere or Courchevel 1650. The job/company will be very similar in both so I’m really asking about which resort is better to do a season in: skiing quality, off piste, nightlife, seasonnaire community, good bars/restaurants, pretty town, size, clientele etc.

I haven’t been to either but I know Val has a great reputation as a ski season location. Not so sure about courchevel 1650.

Any and all advice very welcome!! Thanks so much.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 11-08-23 15:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@halibut1, suggest you edit the title to add Val d'Isere vs Courchevel 1650
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@halibut1, What are the potential companies ? Some have a better reputation than others.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If by chance one of your offers is from LeSki I would go for that one. They're a great company to work for and your large network of colleagues will be your friends and family all season. Honestly they're amazing.

In terms of the two areas. I spent 2 seasons in 1650 and it's a great village which has a really strong seasonnaire scene. In fact the main bars are probably dominated by workers more than punters and this is a good thing for you. The skiing is fantastic part of the world's largest ski areas it's snowsure and although it is in the corner of the 3V so you have to travel further to get everywhere, it is a great resort in its own right. If you're interested in advancing your skiing then there is really accessible off piste which is a great introduction and then if you want something gnarlier, well put it this way, you won't out advance what's on offer.

Nightlife is great, loads of gigs both in 1650 and the nearby villages (La Tania and Le Praz in particular and there's a free bus).

There's a refuge you can hike to and stay in for free without booking.

Restaurants galore.

Don't let anyone try and out you off talking about Russian billionairesm they're all in 1850 and you wont see them unless you want to.

Val D is also a great resort where I've holidayed, but it's a bigger village although a smaller ski area and more dominated by tourists imo, so there's less of a community vibe.

Having done 1650, I will be biased but I don't think it can be improved upon. I know you won't regret it.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@holidayloverxx, your wish is my command
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@muppet, Inghams, VIP, YSE and Le Ski

any input here?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Ryunis, amazing! i can sense your enthusiasm, thanks so much for the help. if you're in 1650 how easy is it to move between villages (esp. late at night), and do people normally do that or just stay put?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@halibut1,
Free buses until late at night or you walk or hitch if you need to. I did all three lots of times, although hitching obv has its risks (drink driving/other).
You won't be at all restricted to 1650. I went out in 1850, Le Praz and La Tania several times a week every week
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@halibut1, do you mean you have offers from all of those companies, with a choice of resort, or are they just who you are thinking of applying to? As someone said on your earlier thread, as a first time host you are unlikely to get a choice of resort - just be grateful for anything you get offered.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@halibut1,
Village? Val d'Isere
Company? Le Ski (ask Frosty the Snowman - his son worked for them last season https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5132989&highlight=ski#5132989)

Congrats on being offered jobs by four companies - you must be a good prospect!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@ecureuil, offers
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val d’Isere opinions only
My daughter who is 21 spent all of last season in Val and meet people working for many different companies.

Inghams - Guessing it’s the Toviere Hotel (We live in the apartments attached) - Most of the staff last winter were Spanish, Italian and I think Polish (A few Brits but they had to leave due to the 90 day rule after a while) Never that friendly and seemed to stick with others from the same country apart from one guy who’s been there a few seasons and we meet often while clearing snow.

VIP - Generally regarded as a decent employer.

YSE - They do seem to look after staff and treat them very well, never really hear any grumbles.

Le Ski - Again certainly the last season, the staff we knew seemed happy even found some in our apartment enjoying drinks and dinner occasionally rolling eyes

I would say staff from YSE and Le Ski seemed to stick it out until the end of the season, maybe because they are treated better. Lots of others started to pack it in towards the end of March as they had had enough.
Also be aware that at the start of January if you’re not up to scratch there tends to be a standard cull of staff. It then gives them time to have replacements ready and trained for the February holidays.

Also in Val d’Isere they have a card for seasonnaires, Vie val d’is , which gives you a discount in supermarkets, shops, bars and ski passes if its not included in your contract.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've used Le Ski a few times and always found the staff great (including last year in Val).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would choose VDI - only because of its easier access to Glacier skiing, in case there are periods of poor snow. It is also inclined to get more snow.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No question YSE Val d'Isère..... im sure someone will explain why its a no brainer... although as mupper says VIP and Le Ski are decent too. If you do end up working in any of those here in Val (yes I live here year round) then ill see you at the start of season free avalanche awareness talks I give to those tour ops. Good luck whatever you do you'll have a blast!
snow report
Personally I could not advise but my son, who did several seasons and several short stints working as a private chef, working for a staffing agency, would recommend Val d'Isere over Courchevel. He didn't like working for a British chalet company though - he jacked in that job and went freelance.
ski holidays
i dont think it will make much difference wherever you go. You'll ski a lot, drink too much and make new friends. You'll serve on ignorant horrible holiday makers and also some really nice ones. Do you have an EU passport?
latest report
Stayed in Val D many times. (and sometimes in Tignes) Stayed in Courcheval 1850 once, but Val Thorens and Brides les Bains a few times (and La Tania once).

Never worked in ski resorts, but have had chalet girls working the chalets I stayed in. I would say the chalet girls tend to be prettier in Val d'Isere, just my opinion.

I have been with Inghams to Val D a long time ago. (cannot comment on the others in your list) Everything went smoothly as far as I can remember. Stayed in a chalet near to the cinema, just down the road from Dicks T Bar.

If I was you I would go with YSE in Val. (read the employment contract details carefully)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 12-08-23 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Bigtipper wrote:
Never worked in ski resorts, but have had chalet girls working the chalets I stayed in. I would say the chalet girls tend to be prettier in Val d'Isere, just my opinion.

I cant seem to find the bit in the OPs question for opinions on the prettiest chalet girls. You sound like dirty old pervert, probably best to keep comments like that to yourself. Its doesnt give off a good vibe
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, perhaps all the dirty old perverts prefer VD for that reason?

@halibut1, have you changed sex since your post in April this year when you were a male?
latest report
@halibut1, one thing to consider is the social background and circles that both your fellow staff and your clientele come from and move in, and how well you'll fit in with them. As a chalet girl you're going to have a lot of interaction with people and how comfortable you are in their company may make a massive difference to how happy you are.

I did my first season with Snowline VIP (as VIP were then) in Meribel where we had both levels of chalet - Snowline being "middle-class" and VIP being "luxury". I dealt with both and there was a noticeable difference in expectation of service levels from the guests between the two. I always thought the Snowline hosts seemed happier because they were less likely to get unreasonable requests (or should that be unreasonable guests!)

I would say on the whole that Val D regulars are towards the upper end of society, more likely to be privately educated and from moneyed backgrounds, whereas C1650 people are far more likely to be lower middle class with "normal" jobs on their one luxury ski holiday a year. So if you are, or aspire to be "posh", go to Val D; if you see yourself more as a ski-bum go to C1650. Of the four companies you've mentioned I would say that YSE and VIP guests will be the demanding luxury type and the Inghams/LeSki guests will be the sympathetic help-you-clear-the-table type. OTOH, the VIP/YSE guests may give much bigger tips!

Massive generalisations, I know, but based on personal experience. I've stayed as a guest with all of the companies mentioned other than YSE, as well as worked seasons on the other side of the fence. I agree with the poster who said there's more workers than punters in C1650. Interesting point also from @muppet about what the demographics of your fellow staff could be after Brexit. What nationality/passport you hold vs your colleagues may make a big difference too so the staff make-up would be a good question to ask of your potential employer.
latest report
halibut1 wrote:
@muppet, Inghams, VIP, YSE and Le Ski

any input here?

Le Ski get 2 days off a week and have a good number returning this season. A great cohort of Fabulous people
latest report
@halibut1, I'd go to Val, must admit I had thought VIP had gone bump a couple of years ago, but if still in business I'd go with them. not a big fan of chalet holidays but we used them a couple of times and they seemed a well run company and good accommodation, was a few years ago mind! Good luck.
latest report
Val d'Isere is an elite global resort.

Courchevel 1650 is for poor people who can't afford the real deal up in 1850.

Do Val Despair.
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Val d'Isere is an elite global resort.

Courchevel 1650 is for poor people who can't afford the real deal up in 1850.

Do Val Despair.

Yes so if you're a seasonnaire, where do you want to be?
snow conditions
@Markymark29, VIP were resurrected.

@halibut1, I've never been to the 3Vs (yes, yes, I know) but have been quite a few times to VdI and always had a fun time. I think I'd be edging in that direction myself.
ski holidays
@Bigtipper, you're being "creepy" again.
ski holidays
@JudgeMent4l, thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll bear it in mind for the next time you repeat yourself.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy