Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Triple certified ski/climb/bike helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Cracking idea, looks like loads of really useful features - basically seems to have been designed based on Cody Townsends needs!

codytownsend
Verified
Introducing the @smithoptics Summit helmet. This has been a project years in the making. In Chile a few years back, I sketched up a design and got the bosses at Smith to sign a promise to make a helmet that was light, certified for climbing & skiing and looked good. ⁠

Two years later we have the Summit. A triple certified (ski, climb, bike), backcountry focused, light, do-it-all helmet. I wish I could tell every story of this development process. Stories like wanting a Boa tightening system that was soft, flexible and folded into the helmet so that the helmet was packable and the tightening system didn't break when shoved into a loaded pack. But nothing like that existed, so Smith and Boa invented a whole new system to make it a reality. Stories like wanting a headlamp clip that had nothing added on to the helmet, so the geniuses at Smith designed it cleverly into the design of the helmet itself. Stories like including the so called, "Townsend Tether" because helmet carry things on backpacks suck, so we integrated an exterior helmet carry system into the helmet itself...anyways, back to the original point, there are a lot of stories that went into the development of this helmet and the @smithoptics team crushed it taking sketches and ideas and demands and suggestions from @hadhammer and I into a real thing. ⁠

Go to the link in my bio to look at the rest of the things that made this helmet so unique. ⁠

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/helmet/summit-mips-snow-helmet/E005360QS5155.html?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-codytownsend&utm_content=later-31373721&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clog3cMpTq6/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gonna give a big thumbs up to the smith summit helmet. Destroyed mine on a rock today. Got up and carried on.

Wouldn’t have ended well if I wasn’t wearing a helmet !

A bit gutted that it’s in the bin after 10 days use but it worked

snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It doesn't look like it has anywhere near enough ventilation for a ski helmet, never mind a bike helmet.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tangowaggon wrote:
It doesn't look like it has anywhere near enough ventilation for a ski helmet, never mind a bike helmet.

I use a similar helmet for ski touring and enduro biking and the ventilation is fine

https://www.movementskis.com/product-page/3tech-2-0
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BobinCH wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

I use a similar helmet for ski touring and enduro biking and the ventilation is fine

I think it depends on how hot you run. I don't think I could wear that for spring skinning or brisk cycling.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jedster wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
tangowaggon wrote:

I think it depends on how hot you run. I don't think I could wear that for spring skinning or brisk cycling.

I run pretty hot and worked fine for me doing the PdG ski touring race end April. There are lighter helmets but most people seemed to be using something to this rather than the super light Petzl climbing helmets. And for enduro biking you certainly want a bit of protection
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I run super hot, my body seems to use my head as a radiator, anything more than a pair of sunnies is very uncomfortable for 80% of the time, occasionally use a headband to keep my ears warm or my hood & goggles when it gets really cold / snowy.
As my hair is getting thinner, sunburnt scalp is becoming a problem so a well ventilated helmet could have been a solution as I also feel a bit vulnerable without head protection in some lines between the rocks & tend to take a safer route than the route I would like to take.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:
Cracking idea, looks like loads of really useful features - basically seems to have been designed based on Cody Townsends needs!

codytownsend
Verified
Introducing the @smithoptics Summit helmet. This has been a project years in the making. In Chile a few years back, I sketched up a design and got the bosses at Smith to sign a promise to make a helmet that was light, certified for climbing & skiing and looked good. ⁠

Two years later we have the Summit. A triple certified (ski, climb, bike), backcountry focused, light, do-it-all helmet. I wish I could tell every story of this development process. Stories like wanting a Boa tightening system that was soft, flexible and folded into the helmet so that the helmet was packable and the tightening system didn't break when shoved into a loaded pack. But nothing like that existed, so Smith and Boa invented a whole new system to make it a reality. Stories like wanting a headlamp clip that had nothing added on to the helmet, so the geniuses at Smith designed it cleverly into the design of the helmet itself. Stories like including the so called, "Townsend Tether" because helmet carry things on backpacks suck, so we integrated an exterior helmet carry system into the helmet itself...anyways, back to the original point, there are a lot of stories that went into the development of this helmet and the @smithoptics team crushed it taking sketches and ideas and demands and suggestions from @hadhammer and I into a real thing. ⁠

Go to the link in my bio to look at the rest of the things that made this helmet so unique. ⁠

https://www.smithoptics.com/en_US/p/helmet/summit-mips-snow-helmet/E005360QS5155.html?utm_campaign=later-linkinbio-codytownsend&utm_content=later-31373721&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clog3cMpTq6/

I’ve looked at the webpage linked to and although it says “triple certified” but only mentions alpine skiing and mountaineering in the blurb, it does not mention bike or cycling at all

Is one of the standards it mentions in the certification section the cycling helmet standard ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't see any mention of cycle helmet standards. They have the ASTM and EN certifications for recreational skiing and the working at height & mountaineering standard but nothing about EN 1078 cycle helmet standard.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BobinCH wrote:
i run pretty hot and worked fine for me doing the PdG ski touring race end April. There are lighter helmets but most people seemed to be using something to this rather than the super light Petzl climbing helmets. And for enduro biking you certainly want a bit of protection

I couldn't wear that helmet riding my bike. Nowhere near enough air flow. Youll feel a world of difference changing to a MTB bike helmet. I stopped using an Endura MT500 because the honey comb didnt let enough air flow through on the downs to cool my head off
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mother hucker wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
i run pretty hot and worked fine for me doing the PdG ski touring race end April. There are lighter helmets but most people seemed to be using something to this rather than the super light Petzl climbing helmets. And for enduro biking you certainly want a bit of protection

I couldn't wear that helmet riding my bike. Nowhere near enough air flow. Youll feel a world of difference changing to a MTB bike helmet. I stopped using an Endura MT500 because the honey comb didnt let enough air flow through on the downs to cool my head off

I would need at least cycle helmet levels of ventilation for a ski helmet to be wearable, If someone can tolerate wearing a helmet in a ski touring race, they don't run hot!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I’ve looked at the webpage linked to and although it says “triple certified” but only mentions alpine skiing and mountaineering in the blurb, it does not mention bike or cycling at all

Is one of the standards it mentions in the certification section the cycling helmet standard ?

I seem to remember petzl creating a "ski-mountaineering" certified helmet. The issue was this new certification didn't actually meet traditional downhill ski helmet standards. So the "triple certification" may be a new certification which may or may not meet traditional certifications for the individual activities.

From a brief browse looks like the helmet meets traditional downhill ski and mountaineering standards. Having seen these tests in person, it's a small bar to clear. Especially when the manufacturers know exactly what tests will be done! You could easily cheat the test (i.e. a loads of protection in the test sites and little elsewhere to save weight).

The helmet looks fine, some nice features, although would agree ventilation looks limited. Then again most people don't wear a helmet for the uphill so maybe not so necessary. Combining ski and cycle helmet seems very niche (and is probably where the ventilation issues might be felt most).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My daughter already has a ski/cycle certified helmet, and its the ventilation is where it struggles. Too little for cycling, even the short distances she goes. I bought it thinking that it would be not so great for cycling as she doesn’t cycle much. We wouldn’t be interested in the mountaineering aspect but a ski/cycle with decently ventilation would be of interest.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Maybe this should be on a separate thread, but, if not wearing a helmet is 0% protection and the very best, brand new helmet gives 100%# of available protection, how much protection would the following give? (I have given my estimates)
A wooly hat (5%)
The cheapest, certified helmet (80%)
A good but 5yr old helmet (90%)
A good helmet that's had a hard knock but has no more than a scrape or dent (80%)
A good helmet that is holding together but has clear breakage/splits in the outer shell & damage to the core (25-75%)
A cycle helmet ????? Clearly, hitting a flat, hard surface, it would give some protection but would the many ventilation holes tend to grip on softer snow & cause neck injury?

# obviously no helmet gives 100% absolute protection, 100% = the maximum amount of protection available from a practical and useable device.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tangowaggon, you are just plucking numbers out of thin air. Even the guys that do the CE testing would tell you "it depends". You can have a "good" helmet that offers less protection in a specific area than a "cheap" helmet. I don't see why a cycling helmet wouldn't offer relatively good protection. The main issues would be too much ventilation making for it being uncomfortably cold and lack of coverage (in particular the lower part of the back of the head) which is rarely an impact site in cycling but common for beginner snowboarders. Because of the cold conditions and weight not really being a critical factor for downhill skiing you can get much more coverage.
latest report
@boarder2020,
I'm making guesstimates, based on 37 yrs of skiing and 10 yrs in research & development of impact modifiers and impact testing of polymers.
If a "good" helmet has a weakness in a specific area, it may be an expensive helmet, but it isn't good. It could be expensive due to being super lightweight.

Considering that I wear nothing but sunnies on my head about 80% of the time, a cycle helmet wouldn't be too cold, like I say, I run hot & I'm looking for a possible solution, should helmets become compulsory, other than giving up skiing.
ski holidays
@tangowaggon, i actually asked the guys that do CE testing "how would a consumer know if a helmet is good?". Their reply there's no real way to know. Sure CE mark is probably better than something with no certification. But there is a huge amount of difference between helmets that "pass". Cost/weight/fancy tech/marketing is not necessarily a good indicator of protection. I just don't see how it's even possible to begin to estimate numbers of "protection".

Fwiw I don't think there is any risk of helmets becoming compulsory so probably not worth worrying about
ski holidays
After my experience this week, I hardly ever used to wear a helmet, but I will be from now on. Scared the poo-poo out of me how close I came to being dead or nearly dead, from a relatively low speed fall in mellow terrain. 4 days later I still can’t see properly or think straight.

Basically I fell backwards down slope traversing old debris under new snow. Got bucked and took the full force of the fall to the base of my skull on either a rock or big chunk of ice, without getting my hands down, maybe a 30 degree slope, going slow.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy