Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are 2 hours enough to get new boots fitted?

Poster: A snowHead
So I'm going skiing in two weeks, and I've decided I'm gonna get my own boots for the very first time. I live where there isn't any snow, and will be flying abroad (to Japan to be precise) for the holiday. I will have to go into downtown Tokyo straight after arriving, then shop for boots before heading straight to the resort. That leaves an estimated 2 hours or so for boot fitting.

Are 2 hours enough to get a pair of well-fitted boots? (from walking into the shop to leaving). I'm hoping to get one with heat moldable liners, but I heard that could take a while and wonder if I could ski for a few days, breaking them in while I'm at it, then getting them molded at the same shop after I return from the resort. (Which I then won't use until next season, but if I mold at the same shop maybe they won't charge me?) Do people do that? Or will I end up having painful boots for the trip? I could push my schedule for another hour if needed, it just means I'll miss the shuttle bus to the resort and will have to take a taxi instead. Time is of the essence so I want to know all my options before I'm actually there.

For reference, I'm a 160cm/60kg woman of beginner/early intermediate skill level (self assessed), I'm thinking maybe 90 Flex will do? Any suggestions?

Sorry if these are stupid questions because this is my first time buying gear and I just wanna get it right, even if my time is so limited...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The first questions that spring to mind:
1. Do you speak Japanese, as I’m not sure you can expect a boot fitter to speak English?
2. Have you made an appointment at the shop you are going to? It’s the peak ski season, any good ski shop will be very busy, so I wouldn’t expect to get a walk in boot fitting.
3. Where are you going skiing, as it may be better to buy at the resort you are staying at, and it will certainly be easier to get them adjusted.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pikadigi, You won’t know if the boots are fitted correctly until you have skied in them, after which you may want further adjustments made. I would not try to get boots fitted in a hurry: it might be OK, but boots that feel fine in the shop for an hour can be very uncomfortable after a couple of days.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
PowderAdict wrote:
The first questions that spring to mind:
1. Do you speak Japanese, as I’m not sure you can expect a boot fitter to speak English?
2. Have you made an appointment at the shop you are going to? It’s the peak ski season, any good ski shop will be very busy, so I wouldn’t expect to get a walk in boot fitting.
3. Where are you going skiing, as it may be better to buy at the resort you are staying at, and it will certainly be easier to get them adjusted.

1. I don't speak Japanese but the shop I have in mind (Fuso ski&boots tune) apparently has english speaking staff.
2. I didn't think about making an appointment at all so thank you! I will asked my brother to call ahead and check (he speaks Japanese)
3. I'm staying at Maiko Kogen Hotel in the Yuzawa area, haven't been there before but I heard it's relatively small. Also I assumed prices will be higher and variety more limited at resort areas? Not to mention it would be easier to go to Tokyo for adjustments rather than going back to the resort after this particular holiday ends.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fuzzydunlop wrote:
@pikadigi, You won’t know if the boots are fitted correctly until you have skied in them, after which you may want further adjustments made. I would not try to get boots fitted in a hurry: it might be OK, but boots that feel fine in the shop for an hour can be very uncomfortable after a couple of days.

So I should actually take them as it is out of the box, ski for a few days, then go back for adjustments if needed?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pikadigi, no, absolutely not. Get them fitted, but do not expect them to be perfect first time, they may need further adjustments.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmm. There is quite a lot of room for error there, one way and another. Do you have "difficult" feet? There might be a case for renting boots, unless you have experienced major problems with renting. And if you have "difficult feet" dashing in and buying a pair of boots in a hurry might not be the best answer - once you've used them in-resort (and possibly found them lacking) you won't be able to get your money back. 2 hours is not a lot and your inward flight might be late? The English of the "English speaking staff" might not be up to the task - and unless you have a personal recommendation, their boot-fitting skills might not be great either. There are plenty of native English speaking boot fitters in shops in the UK who don't do a very good job.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pikadigi, welcome to SHs...

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Where do you live? There isn't much skiing near Bicester in the UK but that's home to a very excellent supplier of fitted boots.

How well do you ski?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah... I'm not from the UK though. And now I feel like I'm intruding into your forum lol. But forgive me, I live in Taiwan (I speak Chinese btw for those who are not familiar with Taiwan). There's no snow here, the ski community is tiny. There are boot stores in the big city 2 hours train ride away, but variety will be really limited and the fitter probably inexperienced compared to one in Japan, not to mention expensive.

I'm not sure about the "difficult feet" part, but I've rented boots in the past, and they work fine, I don't remember them hurting me too much, only that they're too soft (or maybe too big) so I can't make my turns how I want to. I'm also getting private lessons this time so I can learn how to ski parallel properly, and would really like to have gear that doesn't hold me back.

Maybe I should request better gear at the rental stores and forget about getting boots this season Sad Do they even have boots with higher flex at rental stores? I heard rental boots are all somewhere between 60-70.

Also for reference I do skiddy self taught parallel turns on red slopes, and I can ski backwards while guiding my Mum (who's a beginner) to snow plough down green slopes. Never been on a black slope.

And how do you tag people on here lol
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would Rent and accept your defeating the whole point of getting bootfit from a professional bootfitter which your very possibly confusing with a salesman .
Failure in japan must be in the region of £500+ .

By asking around on your trip who is the go to pro bootfitter (while renting boots) may be a better idea until you know more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@pikadigi, click on the username to tag someone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm going to go against the grain here - I vaguely remember my first pair of boots being fitted in a couple of hours in the UK (Captains Cabin), with an appointment. Didn't need anything heat moulded but tried various lifts and foot beds. Since then, I've had small adjustments made in whatever resort I've been in as needed, and replaced lifts etc.

So given that Tokyo sounds most convenient for you, why not at least go - and don't go assuming it will need to be complicated, if you've not had problems with hire boots you may not need all the extra stuff! But also go prepared to walk away without boots if none suit, and consider aiming for a big resort with recommended fitters next holiday.

On flex etc, take the advice of the fitter, that's what they're there for! The boot you think you want before walking in might not be the boot for you.

Good luck anyway, and have fun on your hol! snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Tirol 164, I see. Guess I'll just have to accept the hard truth... oh well there's always next season I suppose.
Big thanks to everyone you guys have helped a lot and all responded so quickly too.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I heard rental boots are all somewhere between 60-70

I don't think so. Lots of good skiers rent boots - if you've not had problems with renting in the past, don't fret about it. If you've never had any lessons it's unlikely to be your gear that's holding you back. Boots that are too stiff, and skis that are too long, are most likely to hold you back. You are quite light, and a beginner, so don't need hefty boots. I'm same weight as you, same height, and been skiing for years - my boots are Flex 80 (I didn't know, just checked them!). Those Flex numbers don't mean a huge amount anyway and aren't always comparable between makes.

If you've the natural ability to have worked out how to work your edges to ski backwards when helping your Mum you will probably learn really fast with some good lessons.

And don't worry about gate crashing the Forum - we have lots of members in far flung places. Tell us how your Japan trip goes. And relax with a good book when you fly in, rather than dashing round to the bootfitters.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@pikadigi, welcome to the forum. As Pam says, please keep us updated with how your trip to Yuzawa goes (ideally in a new thread with Yuzawa in the title). I've been out to Japan on business a few times, and have always fancied tagging on a short trip to Yuzawa or similar but never quite managed it.
latest report
@pikadigi, you are certainly not intruding Happy snowHead

If you have those 2 hours to spare, yeah, @ElzP, probably makes a good point. But the big but is, I fear, that you may not be seeing a fitter but a salesperson. Anyway, if they are 2 free hours, doesn't hurt to go and have a look?

Sorry, I didn't read your first post properly Embarassed

I think you'll be OK with decent rental boots but I can't get any idea of quality online. My browser starts freaking out with the Japanese characters Shocked

If you do think about buying, as @pam w, says, flex numbers are a little bit of a guide rather than a rule, 90ish probably ok-ish, wouldn't suggest you go with anything branded softer e.g. 80 myself, 100 or 110 if you can flex them probs OK too.

Also, beware that they don't try to get you into anything too big. That's a common mistake. "Quite snug" is the not very helpful description! Threads on here about boot fitting, shells checks, etc.
snow report
@ElzP, @under a new name, And now you've given me hope again lol. Yeah my original line of thinking was that since I'm there with nothing else better to do anyway, it can't hurt to give it a try. I do think I'll be able to walk away if I don't find a pair that fits.

@pam w, Yes, renting does seem more sensible now. I guess I just wanted new boots because my brother just got new gear for himself and I got competitive lol. Should definitely calm my head before going in. Thanks for all the advice.

@sugarmoma666, Yuzawa is great! I've been there a few times before but at a different resort. I'll update when I get back! Cool
latest report
Bear in mind no matter how long your flight has been your feet/ankles could be swollen....
latest report
@pikadigi, if he’s got new gear then definitely buy new skis! And Leki poles and gloves

But seriously try the boots and be happy to walk if they are not the best thing.

A quick browse for your resort here shows there are at least 3 places and one of them has Chinese speaking staff if that’s easier for you

https://www.snowcountry-instructors.com/ski-snowboard-rental-in-yuzawa/

As well as hotels having rental spots
ski holidays
My experience of the ski stores in Tokyo is they are like huge supermarkets. Several floors, huge amounts of stock but I have no idea on the quality of boot fitting. It just didn't have that sort of feel about it tbh but I could be wrong. I'd certainly be seeking recommendations for good boot fitting before turning up and expecting anything. Also my experience of Japanese resorts (on Hakkaido) is they are not "ski towns" in the same way as Europe and so don't have loads of ski shops. Maybe the odd one here and there but I'd not rely on buying in resort.

As for timing - 2hrs in the absolute minimum you should allow for decent fitting.

As someone earlier said, sounds like a recipe for disaster to me, but it may well be a better option to Taiwan based on what you said about ski industry there.
snow report
Puzzled
pikadigi wrote:
Also for reference I do skiddy self taught parallel turns on red slopes, and I can ski backwards while guiding my Mum (who's a beginner) to snow plough down green slopes. Never been on a black slope.l

Hire boots and out the money you saved towards lessons. Especially for your Mum. Self-taught teaching beginners is a receipt for disaster. And at best your own level is advanced beginner from your description. Seriously. Lessons will be the best investment you ever make. And I would strongly advise you to avoid trying to teach teach anyone yourself
ski holidays
@pikadigi, I'd see if there were any recommended boot fitters at your actual resort and get them fitted there. You can then go back daily if necessary for any tweaks etc. Oh, and welcome to snowheads!
snow conditions
@pikadigi, not sure if I missed it but which resort are you going to? If Niseko or Hakuba I would recommend Boot Solutions. All staff are English speaking so not speaking Japanese won’t be an issue. I got my current boots fitted in Hakuba. My feet are tricky and it took lots if tweaking (more like major surgery really) to get them right. It’s all included in the price so you can keep going back until you get the perfect fit. On the other hand if you have straightforward feet you might need no or very minor alterations.

Good luck Very Happy
snow report
Update!
So I ended up getting boots from FUSO SKI&BOOTS TUNE in Tokyo. English speaking staff was available, he took my measurements and recommended Atomic Hawx Prime 85W, which was very comfortable. I asked to try some other models from different brands (with more vibrant colours being the visual animal that I am) but none of them fit as well as Atomic did haha Laughing Laughing The whole experience didn't take very long, I even had time to pick out a new jacket for my dad.
According to the guy, I should ski in the new boots for a bit before I try any heat molding (if necessary), so I took the boots as they were. I had three amazing days with them at Maiko snow resort in Niigata, they fit well, responded well and did not cause me any pain, so I didn't go back for any adjustments.
I got them for about 30000 JPY (the model was from the previous season, and the only pair left in the shop!), which is roughly around 164 GBP. All in all I'm quite in love with my first ever pair of boots, even though I only spent 3 days in them so far...
Good news is, I'm chasing the snow down south and heading to New Zealand in August! So excited!
snow report
@pikadigi, great news! Thanks for the update.
snow report
@pikadigi, Atomic have missed a trick, they should call the W version the Atomic Hawt.

You are obviously not a "true" snowhead who would need her boots to be shimmed, canted, blown out, blown in, have custom footbeds, shaved, have custom liners just to snowplow down the Hatfield Snowdome.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy