Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Seefeld alternatives

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Planning a half term trip to Austria. The dates are 17 - 24 Feb in my area which seems to miss Fasching.

It will be me and my son (age 10 blue run skier), I'm not really bothered about more advanced terrain for me because I'll mainly be skiing with him apart from some ski school.

Research has drawn me to Seefeld because of the easy train transfer from Innsbruck and the small beginner focussed ski area. However I'm concerned about there being a lot of drag lifts on the map.

I thought I'd ask if people what the lift system is really like and if the drag lifts (or queues) are a problem? Also if there are other ski area near Innsbruck that would work?

I really liked the Samnaun side of Ischgl when I went so I was looking at that but most accommodation requires using the smuggler's run to get to/from the ski area which is a bit flat.

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't be concerned about the lifts. The main lifts up Rosshutte are 2 gondolas and the train, On Gschwandtkopf there is a chair up the front and if I remember correctly one back up the other side. The only place you really need to use T-bar / drags are the real beginners area by the ski school. I can't remember the last time I used a surface lift there. I took my kids for several trips.

If your boy has skied before head for Rosshutte and give Gschwandtkopf a miss. If he has got at least a week behind him he will be able to ski just about anything in Seefeld.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where are you seeing the drag lifts? I've not been on one. Rosshütte has chair lifts, a train and a gondola. Katzenkopf also has a chairlift. You will probably prefer to be in Rosshütte as that's the biggest area and also the highest. Queues are rarely more than a couple of chairs deep.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
musher wrote:
Don't be concerned about the lifts. The main lifts up Rosshutte are 2 gondolas and the train, On Gschwandtkopf there is a chair up the front and if I remember correctly one back up the other side. The only place you really need to use T-bar / drags are the real beginners area by the ski school. I can't remember the last time I used a surface lift there. I took my kids for several trips.

If your boy has skied before head for Rosshutte and give Gschwandtkopf a miss. If he has got at least a week behind him he will be able to ski just about anything in Seefeld.

Thanks that's very reassuring, I really like the look of the place in all other respects so I'll stop worrying about the drag lifts. I probably undersold the boy's ability a bit. He can get down steep icy reds if takes a conservative line but he doesn't enjoy it (and I don't think it helps his technique development) so the Rosshutte sounds good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarlet wrote:
Where are you seeing the drag lifts? I've not been on one. Rosshütte has chair lifts, a train and a gondola. Katzenkopf also has a chairlift. You will probably prefer to be in Rosshütte as that's the biggest area and also the highest. Queues are rarely more than a couple of chairs deep.
It might be an old piste map I found online, it looks like a lot of drag lifts in the Rosshutte area but people's actual experience of the resort is a much better guide so I'm going to stop worrying.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Here you go: https://www.seefeld.com/en/rosshuette-ski-resort-status.html
Scroll down to the key to see the lift types, as the ones on the map are not displaying correctly! Note that the Härmelekopfbahn doesn't run very often, not in my experience anyway, but the chairlifts do and they go to the same place.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Interesting what are other peoples ranking of ski lifts from worse to most liked. Mine goes like this:

Most hated
Telepheriques, queues and then jammed in. Horrible for children
Telecabines, skis off, walking needed. Twin tip skis are a nightmare
T bars often it is actually hard to find some one to get on with you.
Pomma, only problem is no one to talk to.
Fixed chairs a bit slow but often sociable and comfortable
Dismountable chairs. The big ones can be a scramble to get on
Best
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Henwc,
If he can ski a steep red he will eat everything in Seefeld. Go up the train for the experience, and if the boy likes it, but otherwise just stick to the two gondolas on Rosshutte.
There is a very short drag at the bottom (100m ish) to take you up to one of the main lifts, but you can take the lift to the right and ski down to it if you really hate them.

It's a great place for kids to learn / improve and as you say it's only 30 mins from Innsbruck on the train. If you want any more resort advice just shout - we've got a friend out there ATM so she can provide up to date info.

@Scarlet,
I've only ever used the Härmelekopfbahn in summer, never when skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brixen im thale?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Scarlet wrote:
Here you go: https://www.seefeld.com/en/rosshuette-ski-resort-status.html
Scroll down to the key to see the lift types, as the ones on the map are not displaying correctly! Note that the Härmelekopfbahn doesn't run very often, not in my experience anyway, but the chairlifts do and they go to the same place.
Thanks super helpful, that clears things up a lot, by clicking on the lifts and reading the text I can see the blue runs on both sides of the resort can be accessed with chairs and gondolas.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, Great post! Lift ranking probably warrants a whole topic, my ranking is below.

Most hated
Telepheriques, queues, slow overall and busy, also tend to close a lot. Son hates them "I'm never going on a cable car again!"
Funiculars, no better Telepheriques really but seem slightly more comfortable
Pomma, a bit slow for me
T bars, very close to Pomma but I can ride with someone, seem faster than Pommas but probably the same really. Snow parks tend to have them which gives me a soft spot for them.
Telecabines (old), These often have plenty of character but can be slow and the queues can be bad. Also some are standing only which makes them more like Telepheriques.
Fixed chairs, Generally a good lift all round.
Telecabines (new), the new larger ones have such huge capacity that they tend to have fast queues even at busy times in my experience, when quiet on cold days these are my favourite.
Dismountable chairs. The best. Modern fast ones with covers are a joy. Only down side is everyone likes them so the queues can build.
Best
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musher wrote:
@Henwc,
If he can ski a steep red he will eat everything in Seefeld. Go up the train for the experience, and if the boy likes it, but otherwise just stick to the two gondolas on Rosshutte.
There is a very short drag at the bottom (100m ish) to take you up to one of the main lifts, but you can take the lift to the right and ski down to it if you really hate them.

It's a great place for kids to learn / improve and as you say it's only 30 mins from Innsbruck on the train. If you want any more resort advice just shout - we've got a friend out there ATM so she can provide up to date info.
I think we will both enjoy a resort where we can just ski without worrying about making a wrong turn (or finding a lift closed) and having to ski a steep icy mogul run (Saas Fee/Les Arcs). A few drags are fine and overall the lifts look much better than I originally thought. Thanks for the offer of advice.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy