Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bordeaux to Pyrenees (French part not Andorra)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There are currently some great value flights to Bordeaux that would suit us (family of 6) however it leaves us with a 4.5 to 5 hr transfer. I’ve no problem hiring a car/mini van (not that expensive either) but just wondering has anyone ever done the Bordeaux to Pyrenees route. We are going to Font Romeau / Pyrenees 2000 for 6 days at mid term (Feb 11 to 18 ) ….Barcelona is much closer but flying to Bordeaux is less than half the price per person and the savings will pay for the car hire for the week and fuel….just wondering if anyone out there has ever done this car trip…?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No, but my thoughts turn to winter tyres, chains, and is the route likely to be cleared quickly in the event of snowfall.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ll be making sure that the car / vehicle we hire has the correct tyres and chains…..can’t imagine alpine/pyrenees areas being slow at clearing the roads unless there is a complete blizzard…?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toulouse is also closer and might be worth investigating
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sort of…. My brother lives in Hossegor. I flew in to Bordeaux, renter a car, drove down to his, stayed the night, then drove the next morning (in convoy with my brother) to St Lary. It wasn’t a particularly onerous drive, and I’d have no qualms doing it in a one-er.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nickH wrote:
Toulouse is also closer and might be worth investigating

Have investigated.....it Flights to Toulouse about 4 x those to Bordeaux.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sneachta2013 wrote:
..can’t imagine alpine/pyrenees areas being slow at clearing the roads unless there is a complete blizzard…?

I don’t know if the road to resort is major or minor that’s all.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
St Lary is pretty major as the road links to a trans Pyrennees tunnel. Not as impressed by the road to Baqueira (Spain_) and you are weather dependent on getting up to La Mongie (my pick of the resorts and the chance to ski (rather than cycle) over the Col du Tourmalet. But my thoughts are based on a trip in 2015 tho'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Sneachta2013, Font Romeu is at the wrong end of the Pyrenees to Bordeaux. I can't help thinking you have left it way too late to book flights for HT, but admire your creativity in looking for a non-obvious option to make it happen!! snowHead

In winter the safest route would be the 6 hr toll motorway trek via Toulouse, Narbonne & Perpignan to approach via the valley road. The alternative would be to cut down the N20 and through the Puymorens tunnel which is 5hrs drive time, but involves some mountain driving up to 1500m. With fuel, loo, food stops, it will be at least a 6-7hr transfer, depending on route and traffic and weather, plus the time it takes you get out of the airport and into the car. Do you have enough time left in the day to get to your accommodation?

Also, don't forget to calculate the extra fuel, the motorway tolls and the extra meals on the go you might have to buy, but I guess if the saving is still big enough it might be worth the added hassle factor.

Or could you swap resorts to one at the western end of the Pyrenees that would be closer to Bordeaux? Bareges/La Mongie, St Lary Soulan? These are the best known, but there are smaller ones. Or even the Spanish resorts of Astun/Candanchu which are acccesible via the Somport Tunnel?

https://www.bergfex.com/okzitanien/?page=1

https://www.bergfex.com/astun/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You are heading to the eastern Pyrenees from Bordeaux which is a stretch. You might consider somewhere further west such as Piu Engaly. If you’re insistent on heading east you should consider a few days at Les Angles near Font Romeu simply because most of the Pyrenean resorts are smaller than many of their Alpine rivals and if you like variety - some of the eastern Pyrenean resorts are quite close to each other.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My in-laws have owned a place down the Aude valley near Axat for nearly 25 years, so i've skied this area many times. The access road follows the Aude valley and is windy and narrow in places, but will be fine (cleared) unless you travel late at night or in a blizzard. I've only had troubles (solved by putting the snow chains on) once.

You can of course buy a Catalan Neige ski pass, then you'll also have access to Les Angles, Formigueres and Porte Puymorens as well as Font Romeu/Pyreness2000. All very worthwhile for a day or two imho.

I guess you've already booked, but we faced the same budget restriction issues this year for Feb half term. Our solution is to fly to Nice with Wizz air (from Gatwick, flights still incredibly cheap) and use the winter transfer buses/trains from Nice. Isola200, Auron and our choice Foux d'allos (train, then bus, called combineige) are all accessible in this way. We booked an apartment through Airbnb at the foot of the slopes at 1800m. Plus we'll stop for a night in Nice on the Med before returning, which makes my wife very happy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually scratch that, I see the most direct route is via Ax les Thermes and Porte Puymorens. I've driven this route as well. It's a little better than the Aude Valley route. I honestly don't think you'll have any issues (very unlucky if you do). Ax les Thermes ski area is one of my favourites, if you get the chance. Small area of wooded runs on the front side of the mountain, with treeless bowl on the rear side. Prices reasonable too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy