Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What 2nd skis

Poster: A snowHead
Bought some Nordica Enforcer 88s - 172cm last year. Used them for 4 weeks skiing loved them and found them a great all mountain ski. But towards the end of each week legs were tired as the ski needs to be skied hard. Found it hard trying to ski slowly/leisurely with others, tails very stiff and the ski just doesn't like anything but commitment Smile
I'm pretty fit lots of running/cycling all year thinking maybe some targeted strength exercises next year could help as well.

After a second pair of ski's for easy days etc but struggling to pin down what I need:

70Kg / 173 cm tall & ski 80-90% on piste

1. Do I go for a set of dedicated piste carvers - Thinking some Rossi React 6 (but think might be to soft) , Dynastar 563/763 / Nordica Dobermann Spitfire 70 Ti --- all on offer and cheap at the moment

2. Get a lighter all mountain skis like Ripstick 88s, Dynastar 4x4s, Rossi Experience

3. Open to Suggestions Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm scratching my head a bit here, because your reality is not like my reality. I recently bought a pair of Santa Anas – the women's version of the Enforcer and pretty similar, I believe. It's possible the Enforcer has some extra metal in it that would stiffen the tails up, but it might just be a more “manly” top sheet Laughing Anyway, they were my go-to ski last season, super easy to use, and at 93, slightly wider than yours and quite a bit taller than me.

88 is practically a piste ski anyway, so I don't see how going full-on skinny carvers is going to be any less tiring – those things usually require a lot more concentration and commitment. They might be more fun and more suitable for your skiing, but you'll still be knackered.

Lighter all-mountain probably won't help – you have a very good, very versatile all-mountain ski already, so what you are getting instead is a slightly worse skiing experience (more deflection, less power). Save your money.

Suggestions? How about spending it on lessons to get more out of the skis you have?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I second lessons and strength / balance training (e.g. Squats & lunges on a Bosu + leg blasters).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nadger, +1 for lessons... and (after the lessons) hire some more piste oriented skis and see what you can get out of them, then repeat with then Enforcers. Stiff skis can be skied gently, but have to be skied properly to achieve this wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Atomic redsters, easier to vet onto edge, can handle full on and easy
Carving… oh …. and a balance stance lesson.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
This could be a ski suitability problem ie. For for your weight, ability, taste and fitness.

I'm a bit lighter than you at around 66kg and ski 1 week per year. I have Scott The Ski, which is 92 underfoot and is light and playful. I also have Dynastar SZ-12, which is 72 underfoot and robustly built.

Is one Ski more tiring than another? That I think depends on how or where you are skiing.

The Scotts are not tiring and are easy going. They have a Tip Rocker which makes them more forgiving in chopped up snow and turn initiation. They are more tiring when pushing them into short turns.

The Dynastar have a Traditional Camber and are heavier and more Damp. They are quicker edge to edge, less effort in Short Turns...but require more precision to ski. I find them easier to engage the tip and get more kick from the Tail which helps ping you into the next turn.

So when floating about the mountain doing Long Turns at reasonable speeds - I find the Scotts less tiring. If the skiing requires short turns - which are more tiring anyway - I find the Piste skis less tiring. If the conditions are icy, I get a bit more "bite" with the Dynastars, which gives more control, so find them less tiring.

In your case - as suggested above - you need to try a variety of skis - both brand and ski width - before changing. If the skis you are on are stiffer than ideal (for you), that can be very tiring when not going reasonably fast.

If you intend owning just one pair of skis and like the idea of an AM ski, that gives good Piste performance, has some versatility, while also giving a good dose of forgiveness, the Rossi Experience 82/86 Basalt version is worth a look.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wot @Scarlet said ...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all think strength/balance training is key.

They're absolutely fine for the beginning of the week just towards the end of the day later on they feel difficult, which I've never had with less demanding skis.

TBH skiing more distance/time and harder/faster on my trips recently. Can't expect to not ski most of the year and then perform for 6+ hours per day
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name wrote:
Wot @Scarlet said ...

With the qualification, that both you (usually) and Scarlet ski multiple weeks per year and are thus generally better skiers than 1 week per year skiers - therefore can handle more demanding skis with ease.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If looking to try a Piste Ski, you could do a lot worse than some Head Magnums.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Weight for weight @Scarlet, on 93s is like me on 160s!
I bought Enforcer 110s this year & once I got used to them, I actually preferred them as a piste carver to my Head iRallys, ridiculously good fun, on & off piste.

Advising on skis is a very difficult task as everyone has their own, unique style & attitude towards skiing, from those who strive towards the perfect technical turn (whatever that is) to those who want some slippy slidy things on their feet while the scenery goes by.

I'll be honest, despite being a 3+ weeks a year skier, I haven't skied on a big variety of skis, all my own skis are sub 17m radius, I cant think of any that I would say were harder work than others, some are hard work in certain conditions, ie if you like skiing steep, pisted black runs, wide skis are probably going to feel like hard work overall.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Old Fartbag, but OP skied 4 weeks last year, I am of course making assumptions …
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Old Fartbag wrote:
that both you (usually) and Scarlet ski multiple weeks per year

*weekends wink I rarely get more than 2 days back to back so maybe don't suffer from tiredness as much. I wouldn't have thought they were particularly demanding, although I did test a load of AM skis in March and they were *all* noodly rubbish, so take what you will from that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Nordica Enforcer 88s

Good choice.
Quote:

tails very stiff

If you think those tails are stiff don't go anywhere near a slalom ski like a Doberman.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:
Weight for weight @Scarlet, on 93s is like me on 160s!

Ha! Are you sure you're scaling in the right direction there?!

For most casual skiers, there will be a point where a particular ski is too long or too stiff to turn easily, and so to make the turn you have to have good technique *all the time*, for every single turn. This can be quite tiring because it requires a lot of concentration, and any easing up can mean the ski takes you for a ride, and you take out four people in front of you, and then the crash barrier. It's not something most people want from a holiday, so they dial it back a bit with the ski choice (or the hire shop does). Locals who have skied since they could walk and only ski at the weekends anyway don't necessarily have these issues, so they'll continue to ski the stiffest model in the lineup that they chose in 1992 Cool
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
that both you (usually) and Scarlet ski multiple weeks per year

*weekends wink I rarely get more than 2 days back to back so maybe don't suffer from tiredness as much. I wouldn't have thought they were particularly demanding, although I did test a load of AM skis in March and they were *all* noodly rubbish, so take what you will from that.

Understood

The other issue, is that models (from all brands) keep changing - which affects how they ski, to a greater or lesser extent.

Some large assumptions have to be made when making recommendations - so the best advice is always to try, if possible.

I am fairly light, well into my 60s and had back surgery - so for my 6 days per year, I try to avoid skis that are too taxing, yet have reasonable performance.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy