Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lightweight all mountain setup - what do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, I'd like to share with you my current build that I am putting together to help me return to alpine skiing after a few years away.
I learned my skiing in the 1980s/90s on a pair of Volkl P9s with Raichle Flexons.
On returning to 'proper' skiing from years of failing to snowboard with style and without injuries I discovered that modern skis make me ski better than I can remember ever skiing!

Here's my setup. I wanted light weight, versatility and comfy feet!

Weights are per leg!

Ski: Atomic Backland 180 (1853g)
Binding: Marker Squire ID (780g)
Boot: K2 FL3X Revolver (2128g)

I'll use the Backlands for indoor snow and Scotland mainly but will take them out for 'adventures' in the Alps. The K2 FL3X have been upgraded with stiffer tongues than standard.
I'm 6ft 3 and about 13 stone.

I'm also looking at a pair of Atomic Alibi in 187cms to give me a bit more stability for long, fast piste days. They aren't much heavier than the Backlands.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why do you want them to be light? The Squire tells me you're not touring, and you are not petite so the weight is not likely to be an issue relative to body size, so what's your reasoning here?

I ask because you might get a bit more power and versatility from a burlier ski that doesn't get deflected as much (I won't suggest anything specific as I'm not in your weight category and probably wouldn't reach your shoulder – some big blokes will have better ideas on that). European snow is hard or crud or crust or soft or wet or slush or heavy, and sometimes all of those on the same day, and the ski that deals with all that well is usually a bit more on the chonky side.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm old and not as fit as I used to be, and I want to feel a bit more agile in the bumps. Having less weight on the end of my quite long skinny legs should be a good thing? I'm aiming to get down to 12.5 stone as well by the time I go on holiday. The reviews of the Backland says they are ok for a general all resort ski.
I'm going to use the 187 Alibis as well for the faster days (or when I am a bit stronger).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm also a bit bored and haven't talked about skis for a few weeks.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

want to feel a bit more agile in the bumps

Lightweight kit won't help with that. Perhaps even hinder.

I'd think the Squires maybe a little underpowered.

Have you been fitted into the boots?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
a lightweight touring ski would be bottom of my list of skis for resort skiing tbh! It'll get knocked about in crud on/off piste and won't be as good holding an edge in Scottish "firm snow" and carving on piste!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@kitenski, exactly my thinking. Also, how many "powder" days do you get in Scotland? I'd be thinking something like Mantras or Bonafides ... and a metal binding.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Deveron53, get the Blizzard Rustler 9. You can thank me later wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Backland in 180 at 1835g? Really? I doubt it. More like 1400. Either way, the ski is quite wildly out of place for what you are doing. Rustler 9 ist spot on. I would add Black Crows Serpo from personal experience.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@danbre2022, Serpo's graphics are nasty
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ouch, the 2024 grahpics...might have to wait for 2025 model year for a 1:1 replacement then Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think white skis are daft, but they look fine to me, pretty neutral. Am I missing something or looking at the wrong year?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy