Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slight nightmare - need help.

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

Had a bit of a nightmare. I’ve managed to drive off from home with my BMW car key on the roof. Car started as the key was close enough - key then falls off and we are now at the Channel Tunnel minus key and of course not able to start the car.

We have organised to get the spare key here by cab. We are driving to Val Thorens and are now massively behind schedule. Where can we stay which would put us about and hour and a half away to finish the drive tomorrow morning?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sympathies. Nightmare indeed - those stupid key arrangements are the work of the Devil. Chambery?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nightmare! Chambéry is about an hour and a half or Albertville is about an hour away if you wanted to press on that bit further.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are plenty of hotels just off the main road through Albertville
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow. That sucks.

When you go to buy a replacement key, this outfit was considerably cheaper than the main dealers: https://www.bimmer-tech.net/blog/item/105-about-bmw-key-fob The replacement key worked perfectly well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Oh, no. One to laugh about, maybe in a year or two! The IBIS at Albertville won’t add any extra time to your journey.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah proximity keys or whatever they are known as are a right faff. So easy for your partner to walk off with it. The disadvantages greatly outweigh any marginal benefits in my view. Hope things work out ok.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sympathy too, hope you get the rest of trip organised back to schedule.

Something we all talked about on a thread recently, and wondering just what permutations you get yourself into with proximity keys.

Certainly it's easily done. We use tabs on critical keys etc to help avoid putting them down unnoticed somewhere https://www.amazon.co.uk/REMOVE-BEFORE-FLIGHTTM-Keyring-Keychain/dp/B08541ZCWS/ref=pd_lpo_2?pd_rd_w=4NM6t&content-id=amzn1.sym.2d229339-2f42-4596-a90d-b81a4f52d6d3&pf_rd_p=2d229339-2f42-4596-a90d-b81a4f52d6d3&pf_rd_r=FJ7384X3FXK41K9KDH19&pd_rd_wg=GG22B&pd_rd_r=c9cce1b5-18b8-467e-a1fe-a5926b4584f9&pd_rd_i=B08541ZCWS&psc=1this&tag=amz07b-21 type of thing.

Very useful camping too, they just catch your eye easily to help prompt you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter S wrote:
Yeah proximity keys or whatever they are known as are a right faff. So easy for your partner to walk off with it. The disadvantages greatly outweigh any marginal benefits in my view. Hope things work out ok.
+1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't help the OP, but good luck getting it sorted and for the trip.

Can't comment on other manufacturers but my Merc would flash a warning if you are driving and it can't communicate with the keycard.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+2.

Fortunately, our car still needs the key in the ignition lock to go. But I do borrow SiL's car, which uses a proximity key, from time to time. This thread has been a warning to be careful.

Best wishes to @Griggs for a good holiday after this hassle.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've got a convenient stowage slot in my car, which the key can't fall out of, and very cleverly the car won't start unless it's in the slot. Simple, but effective. I did once have a Morris Minor with a key so very worn that you could start the car, and pull the key out - or going over a bump, it could fall out. But modern cars don't let that happen.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had 2 sets of keys with me when I had my campervan. In a Swiss petrol station I took the cap off with the key and left the cap and keys next to the pump. Then I drove off without the petrol cap and keys.

Not sure how that helps, other than to say these things happen and we learn from them.

Annecy would be a stop for me prior to Val Thorens. I was taken there on very first ski trip when the road to Val Thorens was closed due to an avalanche. Lots of empty hotels in Annecy at that time of year, as they get busy in the summer.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We stayed in Moutiers which is a bit outside an hour from VT but cheap hotel and nice food locally made it a winner.

Sorry for your troubles!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Not sure how that helps

I guess it shows that if you have two sets of car keys with you, you can get careless and leave one behind with your filler cap!! I normally only ever use one set of car keys, as that makes me more careful. But going to Italy at the end of the week I'll take both sets.
snow report
The spare keys will be in the glove pocket, with my spare credit card.
snow conditions
Keep the spare in a faraday bag otherwise you could still drive off leaving a key behind!!!
ski holidays
I always take the spare car key with me in a different bag when we go abroad now (didn't use to) since having a car with keyless entry and start. Nice perk....but not when it goes wrong.

It's done so just remember to focus on the positives of the trip (as soon as you stop fuming).

When we went to the Grand Massif in Feb, I got past the first corner leaving our village and saw something fly off the roof. Thought the roof box had opened. Brought the car to a halt and hubby remembered putting our mini snow shovel between the car roof and roof box earlier when sorting something out. Phew. Was about to get out and recover it (from our normally very quiet village back road) when a lorry came round the corner and flattened it.......
ski holidays
Quote:

Keep the spare in a faraday bag otherwise you could still drive off leaving a key behind!!!

Laughing I won't need to be mucking about with a Faraday bag!
snow report
pam w wrote:
I've got a convenient stowage slot in my car, which the key can't fall out of, and very cleverly the car won't start unless it's in the slot. Simple, but effective. I did once have a Morris Minor with a key so very worn that you could start the car, and pull the key out - or going over a bump, it could fall out. But modern cars don't let that happen.

Impressed by a friend's uncle when younger as he had a really old Ford Zodiac that he started with a teaspoon Very Happy any teaspoon would "fit" just the handle, undid the door too. Ready supply of lost keys in any cafè Laughing
snow report
I assume everyone with keyless start is aware of the risks of relay theft when left parked at home. Happened to my mum's friend with a humble Fiesta .
snow conditions
I’ve never bought a car with this option as the last one I bought new had the choice of a regular car key which is what I went for, I didn’t want push button start or whatever it was.

What’s wrong with having a car key to start the engine and lock the doors? You get two keys in case one stops working. So why wouldn’t you want to start the engine using a key actually in the ignition?
Am I missing something here?
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, I was wondering if you can start the car when the keys are in the house in the porch? As the key is close enough?
snow report
Quote:

Am I missing something here?

I ask myself the same question. What on earth is the point?

We once had an accident (motorcycle came round a bend on our side of the road and hit us head on) and my OH, who was driving, got a tiny injury on his bare knee where a dangling key jabbed him. I suppose a keyless car would avoid that possibility.
snow conditions
My other half and I each have our own keys to the car, so if we're going somewhere together we'll always have both sets. I'm always surprised when other couples have to faff around getting the keys off each other, when they could just as easily have a set each in the first place.
ski holidays
my phone also acts as a proximity key. Would have thought BMW has this tech
latest report
Our car beeps like mad on the two occasions I've driven off without the key inside.
ski holidays
Gilberts Fridge wrote:
Our car beeps like mad on the two occasions I've driven off without the key inside.

Sounds like a good idea.
Wouldn't it make sense for the car to give a warning, then stop if the keys were out of range?
(It doesn't really need a range of more than 10 ft).

It would make the job of finding the keys you'd left on the roof much easier.
Not rocket science.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Out of interest I did a quick test, our Peugeot won't start unless the key is inside the car...phew, as my vague old lady brain means I'm increasingly likely to try to drive off without one!
ski holidays
Quote:

Wouldn't it make sense for the car to give a warning, then stop if the keys were out of range?

Wouldn't it make even better sense for the car to start only with the key in the ignition? No need for beeping, no need for Faraday bags even when the key is locked up inside your house.
snow conditions
I've had keyless on hire cars and have had to discipline myself to keep the "key" in my pocket to try and avoid @Griggs problem. Hope it's all sorted now. Maybe a neighbour/ friend could look along the route from the house - I bet the key fell off fairly soon. You never know.
snow conditions
@VolklAttivaS5, you can buy boosters that sit between car and key to relay the wireless messages over a greater distance.

I’ve disabled push button unlocking on my van to, at least, stop them simply unlocking it to get in.
ski holidays
Quote:

you can buy boosters that sit between car and key to relay the wireless messages over a greater distance

What, like in a hedge? Or flower pot?
latest report
@pam w, or even in the thief’s hand while he’s stood outside your house waiting for an accomplice to start your car.
snow report
Update for you all. Firstly thanks for all the messages of support - very much appreciated.

So a very kind cabbie brought the spare key to the Eurotunnel Terminal. BMW footed the bill which amazed me so huge credit to them as well.

We are now approaching Reims with an ETA into Val T of 22.00 so not a total disaster.

New key on order through BMW who will also cancel the missing one to render it useless. Neighbours have kindly scoured the area and no sign so a bit of a mystery. Just amazed the car didn’t tell me the key was out of range - or maybe it did and in my 3am bleary eyed state I missed it totally.

Wife still talking to me so that’s also a bonus!
snow report
Quote:

BMW footed the bill

Good for them - remorse at creating such a mad system, I guess.
snow conditions
At least you're well on your way now @Griggs, and interesting BMW participation in this. Specific experience direct from customers is very valid in market terms. Certainly they get to look at it along with the potential to feed that back to development and manufacturing for their consideration.

Quite a good outcome in reality.

Cue "snowHead Plays part in R&D program" headline, with usual thoroughness of discussion to boot Laughing

Always look to make the most of a sticky situation.

Looks like you're getting good snow on arrival too.
ski holidays
And you've got your snow chains.........? Roads won't be cleared so regularly come 10pm.
ski holidays
Winter tyres all round and 4WD plus chains if we really need them. Shovel as well and head torch ! Hope the roads are not too bad for us - feel like we need a bit of a break now!
ski holidays
Should be very little traffic by 10pm. Will you be able to get into your accommodation?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy