Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hestra glove alternative

Poster: A snowHead
I’m finding i am getting cold finger tips when I ski in my Heli ski Hestra Gloves.

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

I can’t buy inners as these were a Christmas present and they are quite snug.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I now use the Mountain Equipment Randonee and never really use my old Hestra gloves anymore. Soft shell, goat skin leather palms and fibre pile so that it still feels warm when damp yet dries out amazingly quickly. It's really a mountaineering / ice climbing glove but has become very popular in skiing circles.

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/randonee-glove
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Black Diamond Guide Gloves.

They take a while to break in...and it's often a good idea to size up.

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/snow-sports/ski-gloves/black-diamond-guide
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mittens.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
What about a Glove Liner - or even better, a heated Glove Liner (Blazewear: https://www.blazewear.com/active-glove-liners-black )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gloves are inherently colder than mitts.
The Hestra are too complicated/ bling for me in any case. If you're using them in warmish conditions then you'll probably need to treat the leather bits.

I have a pair of RAB mitts which work well in the coldest Canadian conditions.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+1 mitts. I don’t suffer from cold hands but my fingers always go a bit numb in gloves. Mitts are the way forwards.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
+1 blazewear
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Scarpa, well that was a bit of expensive shopping here this morning after reading out the comments from you and then finding the gloves online. David thought that yes, he would love a pair, so having given the poor guy in Blacks in Chichester a hard time as they don’t actually stock them (actually no surprise) I ended up ordering from Ellis Brigham, and expensive delivery to come before we leave...let’s hope he likes his advance birthday present.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Scarpa, well that was a bit of expensive shopping here this morning after reading out the comments from you and then finding the gloves online. David thought that yes, he would love a pair, so having given the poor guy in Blacks in Chichester a hard time as they don’t actually stock them (actually no surprise) I ended up ordering from Ellis Brigham, and expensive delivery to come before we leave...let’s hope he likes his advance birthday present.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@DanFuller, Buy a pair of these as an alternative to standard liners, they are very warm. I take both and swap onto these at about -10C super toasty....

https://hestragloves.com/sport/en/gloves/liners/34000-army-leather-expedition-liner/100/
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear three finger gloves as a half-way house between gloves and mittens...

I have a pair of 10 Peak Mount Bowlen gloves as I was forever taking gloves on and off and these are super easy to use and quite innovative.

https://10peaksgloves.com/ski-and-snowboard-gloves.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Pamski, I hope he likes them. Kooky has also become a convert to the model after looking at mine, I bought her a pair last Xmas and she has indeed found them warmer than her old gloves.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty sure the answer is get a mitten not a particular brand.

Personally I do use a Hestra mitten but I'm sure some of the other premium brands produce a very good mitten. Wouldn't change my Hestra Army Leather Heli Ski Mittens for anything.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Scarpa, we both ski in Hestra mittens at the moment. He wears some liners and I use the teabag heating things most of the winter.
latest report
I've got Black Diamond Mercury mittens but they have a 3 finger inner. Much warmer than anything I've had before.
snow report
I cannot conceive of a single valid reason why anyone would want to own any glove other than Snow Shepherds. I've had TNF, Mountain Equipment, and a plethora of massively over priced, great looking gloves, but none of them can hold a candle to Snow Shepherds.

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk
ski holidays
@LukeRibs, they don’t have removable, washable liners?
ski holidays
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thermal-Cyclists-Fishermen-Gardeners-Activities/dp/B00H4DL9II/ref=asc_df_B00H4DL9II/?tag=amz07b-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309876561345&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11722194407589062574&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046325&hvtargid=aud-545671390501%3Apla-562964210049&psc=1

Add £7.45 and a set of these if you're being picky. Still better value than anything else I know of.
latest report
@LukeRibs, personal incredulity isn't really relevant, but off the top of my head, how about:
  • no powder cuffs on the mitts
  • no removable liners
  • aren't Gore-Tex
  • require significant soaping
  • look like gardening equipment
  • are cheap and look it

Here are some others which demonstrate that there's a wide choice:
https://www.bodaskins.com/collections/luxury-shearling-collection-man/products/boda-skins-shearling-gloves-1
ski holidays
@philwig, Clearly we have differing opinions in what we look for in gear. I like stuff that works - regardless of how 'cheap' it looks. I also actually enjoy the time spent taking care of and prepping kit. They aren't perfect, but they are much, much cheaper than the suggestions above, and in my experience; they've been great. You should get a pair and try them!
latest report
@philwig, Clearly we have differing opinions in what we look for in gear. I like stuff that works - regardless of how 'cheap' it looks. I also actually enjoy the time spent taking care of and prepping kit. They aren't perfect, but they are much, much cheaper than the suggestions above, and in my experience; they've been great. You should get a pair and try them!
latest report
@LukeRibs, I've used a pair, and yes they are cheap and good value, but the downsides for me are:
- needed a lot of maintenance to keep any approximation to being waterproof
- aren't warm enough for my hands, especially when they get damp
- don't last as long as others
and I concluded that paying more for something warmer, more waterproof, and longer lasting was worth it.

They are great value, and would be better than many of the more expensive gloves out there, but they're not the best performing glove there is.
snow conditions
I use Snow Shepherd gloves, specifically these ones:

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es122028/Products/0snowshepleatherskiglove

They have a waterproof membrane. Not sure what "soaping" is involved? Not sure why you need removable liners but if you do you can buy some. Best gloves/mitts I've had personally.
snow conditions
@Layne, They're v. similar to the stock liftie gloves here in the PDS, you can buy them in most hardware stores for around €18.
I used them for a few seasons and they were great.
In 2018, I got a free pair of Wedze gloves which have been great.
As I snowboard, my gloves have much more contact with snow than skiers ( top / bottom of every lift, plus anywhere we stop, which I normally do in the middle of the piste under a lip, as that is the vogue these days Smile ).
Naturally we're I not such a Quecha fanboy I'd be rocking a pair of these fellas:
https://alexski.com/collections/mens-ski-gloves/products/mens-ski-gloves
snow conditions
Layne wrote:
...Not sure what "soaping" is involved? Not sure why you need removable liners but if you do you can buy some. Best gloves/mitts I've had personally.
Happy to explain:

(1) See the website, where it says:
"...use a Nikwax top up over time to keep them nice and supple and the leather water proof.
We supply free Nikwax with each pair and recommend that this is applied before use, to maximise the life of your gloves.
".
The more leather you have in mitts/ gloves the more soaping you end up doing.
My personal preference is zero leather for that reason, but usually you end up having to soap the palms.
It doesn't matter if the liners or other stuff is "waterproof" - if the leather gets wet then it gets damaged, your'e protecting the mitts not your hands.
I ride in cold climes, but you still get a lot of moisture even when the snow itself is dry.

(2) Many people use less insulation in spring than in the depths of winter, yet don't want to have two pairs of gloves.
Removable liners provide that flexibility. In addition, if you get any snow in there, taking the liners out is one easy way to dry them.
Now you're asking, my own current gloves happen to have glove style liners inside mitts, which is handy for cold weather photography.
Of course you can buy liners, but it seems more obvious to simply buy mitts which are designed to do what I want in the first place.

(3) Quite possibly.

--
I missed "no leashes" from my original list. I would not be without them, for photography at least, as you need to dump your mitts quickly to shoot.
snow conditions
@philwig, ah "soaping" = "re-proofing"... so sure, it's the nature of the beast. You buy leather for it's durability. It's not a big deal IME but obviously it's a factor to weigh up.

The other gloves I've used have all had some combination of problems in terms of warmth, durability, waterproofness. TBH from what I've read on here it's pretty difficult to find the perfect gloves.

I used to have gloves with leashes. I found have dangling gloves a pain. Now I just slip them under my rucksack strap or inside my jacket.
snow conditions
[b]@Scarpa[/b just to report back that the gloves you recommended have been a huge success. Worn every day now since before Christmas and the Hestras still packed away and not used. Thank you!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
philwig wrote:
Layne wrote:
...Not sure what "soaping" is involved? Not sure why you need removable liners but if you do you can buy some. Best gloves/mitts I've had personally.
Happy to explain:

(1) See the website, where it says:
"...use a Nikwax top up over time to keep them nice and supple and the leather water proof.
We supply free Nikwax with each pair and recommend that this is applied before use, to maximise the life of your gloves.
".
The more leather you have in mitts/ gloves the more soaping you end up doing.
My personal preference is zero leather for that reason, but usually you end up having to soap the palms.
It doesn't matter if the liners or other stuff is "waterproof" - if the leather gets wet then it gets damaged, your'e protecting the mitts not your hands.
I ride in cold climes, but you still get a lot of moisture even when the snow itself is dry.

Just the same as any leather glove
snow report
i wouldnt wear mits for 2 reasons.
1) you cant tie knots in mits
2)i think it would be easier to pull my bag in gloves if i ever needed to.(im hoping that never ever happens)
ski holidays
Mother hucker wrote:
2)i think it would be easier to pull my bag in gloves if i ever needed to.(im hoping that never ever happens)

I've NEVER needed to tie a knot wearing gloves or mitts.

Pull your bag? Pull what bag , where ?

Confused.
snow report
DanFuller wrote:
I’m finding i am getting cold finger tips when I ski in my Heli ski Hestra Gloves.

Can anyone recommend an alternative?.

Wrist warmers. Cheap and life changing for me at least.
latest report
Roguevfr wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Confused.

Avalanche airbag/pack
snow report
Roguevfr wrote:
Mother hucker wrote:

Well take it from me you wouldnt want mittens on tying an alpine butterfly or clove hitch. Contrary to your experience theyre used on a daily basis in the mountains

avi bag, image fumbling about with mittens on ot being able to get a solis pull on

Confused.

Well take it from me you wouldnt want mittens on tying an alpine butterfly or clove hitch. Contrary to your experience theyre used on a daily basis in the mountains.

avi bag, me personally and its only my opinion, theres a chance of fumbing around when grabbing the trigger in mitts i dont want to be that person fumbing around
ski holidays
So if you don't wear an avi sack and don't do any roped stuff you are probably better off with mitts. Seems sensible.
snow report
@5RED, just came across this thread when searching for wrist warmers, which ones do you have/recommend?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy