Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is this even responsible parenting?

Poster: A snowHead
Mind blown by the skills this guy has...

http://youtube.com/v/M7d2asUhXb0
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wow!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jane's Addiction bringing it back. Kai's got some skills too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just think when he's a teenager and hucking and stomping 100 meter drops!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cant stop thinking about it...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Toadman, I think you've got the snowheads record for duplicate posts! wink Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Is this even responsible parenting?

In my mind, way more responsible then what majority of parents are doing with their kids letting them be inside on phones all day long.
ski holidays
Just incredible!

That's got me excited for our trip to Silverton in February, though that Alaskan skiing makes Silverton look like a green run in comparison! wink
snow report
Looks like he's set his son up for a life of fun and freedom to me, excellent parenting. Way better than been tied to a desk 8 hours a day lusting after the mountains!
ski holidays
Having followed him on Instagram for a couple of years, I totally agree with his lifestyle, but I think he hits too many big jumps for his age. His body is still growing and strengthening and he has a lot of huge crashes off big drops. I'd rather see him keep working on his freestyle skills, instead of just finding the biggest drops to go off. I know I'll be in the minority, but I'd rather he got through his teens with a healthy body.
snow report
Alastair Pink wrote:
@Toadman, I think you've got the snowheads record for duplicate posts! wink Laughing

or, thinking about it repeatedly Laughing
snow conditions
Spectacular, but too much too young. Will probably have no knees or be seriously injured before mid twenties. With this level of skiing at 12, he will be bored in a few years and start doing really stupid things. At the moment he just bounces, but that won’t last much longer.
snow conditions
PowderAdict wrote:
Spectacular, but too much too young. Will probably have no knees or be seriously injured before mid twenties. With this level of skiing at 12, he will be bored in a few years and start doing really stupid things. At the moment he just bounces, but that won’t last much longer.

Agreed. And I'd say he's just fueling his dad's ego too.
latest report
The boy is a genius. His body and mind work so well together, his skill / self assessed skill, level of challenge all seem perfectly balanced. He made everything look easy (it would be interesting to see what he was like on a bad day). He looks like he is getting an amazing kick out of it all, for himself. It is also very hard not to assume that father is supremely experienced and totally aware of the risks, how best to managed them and will have thought very long and hard about every line we saw skied. At a guess he will have seen a lot go wrong over the years.

Lots of kids do risky things with parents, more without them. Horse riding, climbing, messing about on building sites and on factory roofs. Almost none of them are as good as Kia.

I guess that if you grow up in Jackson Hole or Chamonix and have a mum or dad who are amazing skiers / mountaineers / mountain professionals and yourself have amazing natural talent and have supportive school structures and your parents are so inclined and have enough spare time and money then you can ski like this.

I think it would be cruelty to stop the lad.
snow report
Never mind all that. Did you see the giant snake at 4:12
ski holidays
I have to say I'm uneasy. I'm the parent of 3 children, all grown up now. My initial reaction was "Why am I seeing this? Why is this being posted on the Internet? What possible advantage is it to the child, to be put out into the public domain? How much of this is vicarious?" I'm all for giving kid's their freedom, but any parent of a sporty child has to consider the impact of training and exercising their skill on a developing body. Most kids his age will lap up the publicity: so just because he does it and publicises it, doesn't mean it the right thing for him to be doing. It's not up to a parent to posit that it's an active lifestyle vs sitting at a desk. Sitting at a desk may get them a Nobel Prize for a world-shattering invention. It's up to a parent to make sure their kids get the maximum of their potential and maximum choices for them to make as they grow up. If that's happening here, fine, but I'm uneasy that it isn't.
latest report
Damn sniped....

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 15-10-19 19:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
You're a year late: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3299301&highlight=kai+jones#3299301
snow conditions
Last year's thread for the benefit of those who don't know who this kid is and who his dad and uncles are. Hint - one Uncle has his own snowboard brand and solo movies behind him.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3299301&highlight=kai+jones#3299301
ski holidays
I think two things.

Firstly, who is driving this? I had a friend whose son was in the youth category Olympic selection process (cycling). He worked unbelievably hard, and improved to a level where he was definitely on 'the path'. Then he came down one breakfast, just before the run up to the next tier ... '..that's it...' he said '...I've had enough...'. His parents looked across and saw that he really, really meant it. It wasn't a wobble or a wet day refusal to ride. It was it. And my friend, a very experienced coach simply said '...if you are sure, then that's fine...'. And indeed that was that. If Kai is pressured into riding, or any descent, just to meet adults egos, that's not right. But everything I hear about him is that his uncle (who makes some very weird boards....we know since one is my son's deep snow Christmas present) and his father is that they are supportive coaches, not crazed egotists.

Secondly, pushing the envelope slowly. All the normal risk assessments of scoped landings, avalanche level, and so on has to be done for everyone, so I am not bothered about that. I have seen kids to who push out to the edge of their ability, crash and then pull back. Typically they are the ones who get injured frequently, and seriously. I was on the hill in '18, when a new group trying DH just threw themselves down the trail - one was helicoptered off from the first jump. Ridiculous. I ride with others who have ridden and ridden and had nothing more than tiny 'offs'. These youngsters, who have been tutored by the right coaches and who edge out their abilities, slowly building and building, are always reflective and far more safe - even at a very young age. They just have such a lesser accident rate. Strikes me that Kai falls absolutely into the latter category.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 17-10-19 21:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spyderjon wrote:
You're a year late: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3299301&highlight=kai+jones#3299301

Right you are - Same kid but I think it's a year later and a different edit with the Alaska segment. Nonetheless phenomenal and inspiring to watch him ski
snow report
Both Kai and his parents seem very thoughtful:

http://youtube.com/v/Z7Ajm-LNp8o#action=share
snow conditions
Nickski wrote:
Never mind all that. Did you see the giant snake at 4:12
No
snow report
PowderAdict wrote:

He will be kneedeep in cash and gash by 25yo and will not care that he will be crippled by 50 wink
latest report
valais2 wrote:
Strikes me that Kai falls absolutely into the latter category.

He's called what? Kai? Seriously? If anything is irresponsible its calling your kid Kai.
snow report
davidof wrote:
He's called what? Kai? Seriously? If anything is irresponsible its calling your kid Kai.

I just hope that's not his middle name and his first name is Don...... Toofy Grin

Seriously though, whatever his name his skiing abilities are amazing and he seems to be thoroughly enjoying what he's doing (for the moment at least).
latest report
That’s just awesome. Incredible skills on the kid and I’d rather see this kind of parenting than letting kids get lazy at home on phones and other screens.
snow report
Unfortunately Kai got injured this week, a tibia tubercles fracture caused by a hard landing, which is a serious injury that often occurs in adolescents. Obviously doing what he does an injury like this was inevitable at some point, so I wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to him pushing the boundaries again next season.
snow report
I bet the injury rate for kids playing "proper" rugby is higher.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:

I remember as a school kid getting furious with our headmaster. Because skateboarding was banned because it was dangerous but rugby was compulsory.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

Both rugby and this sort of skiing present the same ethical problem for parents. There is a growing body evidence that repeated low trauma non-concussive head injuries increase the risk of dementia in later life, and I don't think that parents can or should be able to ethically consent to that risk for their children.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 9-03-23 15:13; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
An unofficial straw-poll from reading the inevitable Whatsapp groups that come with kids sports clubs these days makes me think that Football (or soccer if you will) seems to result in far more injuries than Rugby - kids are forever having to drop out of training and matches because they've got a break or sprain from school/club/park football. @Alex_Sideways is 1 for 1 on the heftier football/rugby injuries sporting a shoulder disloc. from football and a concussion through rugby.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy