Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family of beginners flying to Geneva Feb, which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
We are complete beginners, flying to Geneva 17 Feb 23 and trying to choose a resort. Kids are ages from 9-13 and one has Down Syndrome so not sure how he will manage ski school by himself
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Feb 24!!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,

You have so many options and it's hard to make really good suggestions without knowing what you value most - convenience, scenery, traditional village vs purpose built, buzzy vs peaceful, luxury vs value for money, etc etc.

I also don't have direct experience of skiing with someone with Down Syndrome although from time to time I see small groups of skiers with Downs and their family/friends at Les Contamines (where I ski a lot). My suggestion would be to speak to a local ski school about what they recommend. February is obviously a very busy period so I would secure the right instruction for your child as soon as you can. It might include some private lessons (1 on 1) and they can be scarce at busy times.

I would recommend Les Contamines for a beginner family with one real caveat. It has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, it tends to be quieter than most French resorts in that period, there is plenty of mellow skiing and eating and lift passes are good value. The caveat is that there is almost no ski-in / ski-out accommodation which you might find attractive for convenience. It is also mainly self catering and you might prefer a hotel. There are accommodation options within a short walk of the ski lifts though.

If you wanted a ski-in/ski-out hotel with great convenience then I have a recommendation in St Gervais / Bettex. which would be good.

Tell us a bit more and the hive mind will generate loads of good alternatives!

Welcome BTW
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to Snowheads @rockinghorse.

The place that occurred to me as beginner-friendly in a way that might suit your requirements is Les Gets. But actually most resorts are geared up for beginners, particularly if you get local advice on just where to stay. As above, you would benefit from very early contact with the local ski school to give you the best chance of an instructor attuned to your particular needs.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
j b wrote:
Welcome to Snowheads @rockinghorse.

The place that occurred to me as beginner-friendly in a way that might suit your requirements is Les Gets. But actually most resorts are geared up for beginners, particularly if you get local advice on just where to stay. As above, you would benefit from very early contact with the local ski school to give you the best chance of an instructor attuned to your particular needs.

yes good option
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for these.
Yes, convenience definitely top of the list and not too busy if possible.
Am just learning about French holiday v UK!
Happy with any kind of accommodation, I guess handy to ski school meet up
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maybe Flaine? Easy drive from Geneva airport. Good nursery slopes - then gentle blue and green pistes available as you progress. However, it's a long time since I have been there, so I can't comment on the ski schools.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What’s your budget?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Like @jedster, i am going to throw St Gervais into the mix, not just because its a easy place to learn but also for Shona Tait of BASS , Shona is a great instructor who is also heavily involved with disability snow sports scotland , so she may be able to advise on your needs.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Jonny996, I didn't know Shona's experience in that direction but she is a great instructor.

Asking her might be a good first step, before looking for accommodation. She is in the branch of BASS (=British Alpine Ski School) which serves Chamonix, St Gervais and Megeve, website here https://www.britishskischool.com/bass-chamonix-/-megeve-team
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
zikomo wrote:
What’s your budget?

Good value for money
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster wrote:
Hi,

You have so many options and it's hard to make really good suggestions without knowing what you value most - convenience, scenery, traditional village vs purpose built, buzzy vs peaceful, luxury vs value for money, etc etc.

I also don't have direct experience of skiing with someone with Down Syndrome although from time to time I see small groups of skiers with Downs and their family/friends at Les Contamines (where I ski a lot). My suggestion would be to speak to a local ski school about what they recommend. February is obviously a very busy period so I would secure the right instruction for your child as soon as you can. It might include some private lessons (1 on 1) and they can be scarce at busy times.

I would recommend Les Contamines for a beginner family with one real caveat. It has a relaxed and friendly atmosphere, it tends to be quieter than most French resorts in that period, there is plenty of mellow skiing and eating and lift passes are good value. The caveat is that there is almost no ski-in / ski-out accommodation which you might find attractive for convenience. It is also mainly self catering and you might prefer a hotel. There are accommodation options within a short walk of the ski lifts though.

If you wanted a ski-in/ski-out hotel with great convenience then I have a recommendation in St Gervais / Bettex. which would be good.

Yes, ski-in/ski-out probably best choice
Would love to hear your recommendations for St Gervais

Tell us a bit more and the hive mind will generate loads of good alternatives!

Welcome BTW
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm liking the sound of St Gervais and that's really helpful to have a contact.
I'll get in touch with Shona as my next step
Thanks so much
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
would also love to hear your recommendations for ski-in/ski-out accommodation in St Gervais
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I’ll declare a bias because the place is owned by friends of ours but we aren’t close these days so I have no axe to grind. We just stayed there a few times when are kids were beginners
and it was super convenient with amazing views.

It’s a hotel called Flèche d’Or on the piste at Le Bettex. It’s at the first stop of the gondola above St Gervais. The lift is next door. Ski hire 100m. Ski school 150m across piste.

The downside is that the lift to the town shuts at 6pm so you’d need a taxi for a night out in St G. But if you like the idea or relaxing evenings playing games etc it is a good spot.

The views across to Mont Blanc from the restaurant, terrace and many bedrooms are really special.
latest report
jedster wrote:
The views across to Mont Blanc from the restaurant, terrace and many bedrooms are really special.

It is certainly very highly recommended for that.

As above though, it depends on what you think will best suit your family. Bettex is the bottom of the ski area, so for convenience is brilliant. But it is just a small cluster of apartment blocks, a couple of hotels and hire shops, and the ski school office - you need to be happy staying in the hotel all evening. St Gervais itself (much more going on, an attractive town even just to walk round) is below in the valley connected by a big gondola which is the way most of us access the skiing. There is a ski run down, but given the low altitude it isn't open all season and definitely isn't one for beginners to try.
snow report
@rockinghorse, As mentioned above by @achilles - Flaine ?? : If you choose your accommodation correctly, it is very nearly ski in ski out ; Nursery slopes right in the centre of resort. Again, never used ski schools, so cannot comment
ski holidays
I'd, as always, would recommend Flaine. My feeling is that the French ski school, particularly during the time of school holidays, is not the best place to be for a child with special needs (I don't know for sure, it's just what I think). If you choose Flaine, I'd suggest contacting Catherine (ski with Catherine) or Lynne (Flaine ski clinic). You can find both on google.
snow report
Quote:

My feeling is that the French ski school, particularly during the time of school holidays, is not the best place to be for a child with special needs (I don't know for sure, it's just what I think)

My feeling too although like you I don't know.
snow report
@rockinghorse, we all want "good value for money" - but that really doesn't help us advise you. I am a Francophile and in the ordinary way might recommend Les Saisies, a brilliant resort for beginners with lots of ski in-out accommodation. But not in the French school holidays I wouldn't. And you'd either have to drive there, or get an expensive taxi. All the local resorts will be busy though I agree that Les Contamines is often a bit less busy than some.

There could be some better options in Switzerland and there are some Snowheads who know that corner of Switzerland very well.

The ski school could be the key ingredient to make or break this holiday, and talking to the recommended Shona Tait would be a very good start. If you do decide on private lessons you will need to book them very early for that week.
snow conditions
Italy is another option - drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel.
ski holidays
Villars is two hours by efficient Swiss train and the station is at the airport - or by rental car. It is a very family friendly resort - lots of nice slopes and views towards Mont Blanc. It also has a non profit organisation/ ski school - handiconcept - that takes those with a disability.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy