Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

76mm-”ish” piste ski for certification/ski instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I will join a pre-season ski instructor training in november. Planning to certify (Basi 1 +2) and work as a ski the coming winter.

I am looking for a good performance piste ski that is just i little bit wider under foot, 74-76 mm or so, with a 14 - 16 m radius
I have narrowed down into Blizzard Firebird HRC (76 mm) and Nordica Dobermann Spitfire Pro (76 mm).
Anyone who has experience ot these skis, or perhaps have tried both?
Any other skis you could recommend?

Many thanks in advance!

Patrik
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Völkl deacon 74
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd recommend using a decent race slalom ski. None of the polyvalent skis will give you the precision control that you want to achieve at level2 and beyond, it will really make your life a lot easier, not just passing the course, but in your ability to accurately demonstrate in real teaching.

I didn't do this and struggled some, just through stubbornness really, like "I'm good enough not to need extra help from the ski". Wrong. I've long-since changed my mantra to "no matter how good you think are you should _always_ use any extra help you can get".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just for an idea, here's what I did my exams on over the last couple of years.

L1 177 Head Supershape i.Rally R14.8m
L2 165 FIS Atomic S9 SL R12.5m
L3 175 Dynastar Masters GS R19m

Feedback from my level 2 was to use a longer ski with a longer Radius, hence the Dynastar for the L3.

What I want is a pair of these:

https://www.head.com/en_GB/worldcup-rebels-e-race-pro-313252-set.html

I was also recommended these:

https://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/ski/race/laser-sc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Chaletbeauroc, full on FIS? As that does require a certain base skill to manage ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Psortti, What do you have now? Unless it's a huge fat powder ski use that for your L1, then you'll have a better bet for what you need for L2. You should not need a hugely performative ski at L1 or L2.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, full on FIS? As that does require a certain base skill to manage ...

That's not what I meant, no, but it's perhaps worth pointing out that unlike the other disciplines there is no FIS set radius for Slalom skis, so in practice there's not really that much difference.

I moved last season from one Head slalom ski to another, the first of which was marked as 'FIS radius' and the replacement not stated as such. Dimensions are identical and the new ski is at least as stiff as the old one. So FIS or not is not an issue as such, just that a race version will be at the higher end of the stiffness spectrum. In fact Head make several different models of Slalom "World Cup Rebels" race skis, all are apparently identical apart from the stiffness.

Anyway, yes, for L1 particularly these might be a bit OTT and a weaker skier might struggle to get the best out of them; TBH it's more the L2-> L3 I was thinking of. But I'd still feel that buying new skis specifically for L1/L2 and use when teaching the wider skis mentioned may not be the best choice. I'm just not sure what one would hope to gain from them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
But I'd still feel that buying new skis specifically for L1/L2 and use when teaching the wider skis mentioned may not be the best choice. I'm just not sure what one would hope to gain from them.

My assumption was they were thinking about the variables aspect, and that something slightly wider might help?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did my L1 (indoors) on head titans 163cm 80mm 14.3 radius, I did my L2 on volkl rtm 80, 80mm, 166 cm length, 15.6 radius.

I did try some shorter radius skis at the start of my L2, but it was a little too short and swapped them

I’m 165cm tall.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Little Martin, but what do you weigh? skis dn't know how tall you are ...

@Chaletbeauroc, I wasn't specifically considering radius, more the general "comportement" of a full on vs detuned ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Go to Level 1 with what you have and let your examiner recommend what you should be on for Level 2
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@under a new name, I was probably around 70-72kg then 165cm tall
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Psortti, one thing to consider on the skis you list is the binding attachment. IMV the system bindings on the Nordica may have a bit of play in them compared to the race plate construction on the Blizzards.

A couple of BASI examiners were on the Blizzards on a course I did last month and all three really liked em

Both will be fine for L1 and 2 and I would think a good choice for L3/4 as well !
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy