Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Epic snow in Hemsedal + Norefjell- 21-28 Mar 2023

Poster: A snowHead
With all the doom & gloom about late season conditions in the Alps - decided to take a punt on a trip to Norway.

Hemsedal seemed to tick all the boxes with a compact ski area having 20 lifts & 51 pistes, plenty of off-piste potential and opportunities for tours from the top of the lift-served area or adjacent valleys.

We're a couple of (ageing) reasonably advanced level skiers, wanting a mix of lift served piste skiing: telemarking: and some not too strenuous ski mountaineering tours and this area is superb.

Flights to Oslo via BA were very reasonable, and a hybrid 4-wd Toyota Yaris was only £170 to hire so an easy 3hr drive in snowy conditions to the resort.

1st 2 days were snowy with moderate visibility, but there's mid level skiing through birch forest which was great and we could see the potential for great off-piste opportunities.

Day 3 was one of those dream-ski days: perfect snow, blue skies & zero wind. We had planned to have a few runs in the nearby resort of Solheisen before a tour to the summit of Kvitingane from the top of the lift sysem. Unfortunately we had mistakenly assumed the Hemsedal pass included Solheisen but it doesn't.

The friendly liftie at least allowed us a free ride to get back to our car, which allowed a gorgeous descent on groomed untracked pistes in this lovely little resort (only open Fri/Sat/Sun)

So we headed back into Hemsedal, and bagged a short tour off the Ronnheisen lift to the summit of Rogjin

24hrs of snow was forecast for today, so we headed back to Solheisen for a day's telemarking in freshies which was fab. A lovely little resort - only 3 long drags and half a dozen really great runs + good o/p potential and hardly anyone there on what would have been a busy Saturday in Hemsedal

Tomorrow looks like a blue-sky powder day, so planning to head back to Hemsedal to bag some of the o/p spotted earlier

Then 2 more days in the resort of Norefjell before heading back for a Tuesday evening flight from Oslo

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 27-03-23 18:28; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Um, it looks a bit bony up top there, but are you saying there's enough snow for stuff off the piste to be ridable?
Just checking, as I'd written off most of Europe this season...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
phil_w wrote:
Um, it looks a bit bony up top there, but are you saying there's enough snow for stuff off the piste to be ridable?

Really? Seriously?? Plenty of great conditions to be enjoyed in the alps right now. I assumed you were more experienced and sensible than that comment suggests.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
zikomo wrote:
phil_w wrote:

Really? Seriously?? Plenty of great conditions to be enjoyed in the alps right now. I assumed you were more experienced and sensible than that comment suggests.

Really? Seriously? Err, when did Hemsedal get moved into the Alps?

I assumed (wrongly) you were experienced...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were a bit further east in Trysil at the end of Feb/start of March and the snow was fantastic. I think they have had a very good season. I've checked back sporadically since and the snow seems to have continued through March too.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
phil_w wrote:

The skinning shot was from a col which must have been a bit windy, so snow had been stripped there - but plenty of good snow on more sheltered aspects.

It's a bit like skiing Scotland ... can be very wind affected/Sastrugi on exposed aspects but plenty of powder in gullies etc
However the snow in the birch-woods where it's out of the wind is sublime, like Japan (without quite the depth unfortunately)
According to the locals they've been experience a better than average year this year - snowed all day today and going to be cold and clear (-8°/-16°C) for the next 5 days according to https://www.yr.no/en/forecast/daily-table/5-25115/Norway/Viken/Hemsedal/Hemsedal%20Skis

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sun 26-03-23 6:35; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
phil_w wrote:
.... as I'd written off most of Europe this season...
Phil - if you're really keen, you could check out Folgefonna, which doesn't actually open until May 6 snowHead https://en.visitfonna.no
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not too shabby today: cold smoke... snowHead

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geoffers wrote:
The skinning shot was from a col which must have been a bit windy, so snow had been stripped there
... It's a bit like skiing Scotland ... can be very wind affected/Sastrugi on exposed aspects but plenty of powder in gullies etc
... a better than average year this year ...
Thanks, makes sense.

Folgefonna - I rode there years ago very late season... not too interesting terrain wise, from what I recall wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
-
Hemsedal looks lovely.

Just been looking at the snowcams in Les Arcs. Overcast but visibility reasonable. But best of all there appears to be a big dump of snow going on ----- just in time for Easter! Yay!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
the coldest I've ever been in my life was in Hemsedal....still scarred by it...never returned!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dravot wrote:
the coldest I've ever been in my life was in Hemsedal....still scarred by it...never returned!

Was -12′C this morning, but thankfully no wind & full sun

Would have been nice to have covers on the chairs though Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well it wasn't too shabby in Norefjell either - wonderful location down by the lake at Krødner Kro...

... before heading into the resort itself...

... skiing is pretty mellow, with easy pistes and masses of easy angled o/p terrain - perfect for a rusty couple of Telemarkers

...really quiet too with a wonderful ambience - probably some of the best skiing we've had for a long time (4wks already in the Alps this year)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great report. I’m going to be in Norefjell in a couple of weeks. First time there and really looking forward to it. They’ve had a great season it seems!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
MagSeven wrote:
Great report. I’m going to be in Norefjell in a couple of weeks. First time there and really looking forward to it. They’ve had a great season it seems!

Hopefully you should get great conditions, but be aware it can get pretty cold - yr.no are forecasting -16°C tomorrow morning!!!

If you've got any old lift passes you forgot to hand in, they use the skiData system with look like these which I had left over from several years ago, so you can pre-book your passes online

Axamer Lizum
01-1614713353488909xxxx-2
Monterosa
30-1614725625053038xxxx-8

(Hemsedal use TeamAxess passess which have the format WTP: P981101Q-xxx-NFP so I could reuse my La Plagne pass)
snow conditions
There's also kite-skiing (boarding) here, which looked pretty epic Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/dqiEsSsaH3c
latest report
Certainly does look epic! Can you go back up hill? Now that would be something!!
snow conditions
TCSC47 wrote:
Certainly does look epic! Can you go back up hill? Now that would be something!!
Yes - the guys were using a gentle angled ski trail and the back side of the slope to regain the height...

.... rinse and repeat ... Who needs a lift pass Toofy Grin
latest report
My brother's there now

Second day today

Had a ball yesterday

Loving it
ski holidays
All great in Sweden right now too

latest report
thecramps wrote:

All great in Sweden right now too....

I assume that's Åre: looks busy Very Happy

How are the temperatures there? : it's about 200mls further north so probs a tad chilly (though yesterday wasn't nearly as brutal as yr.no had forecast, thank god snowHead )
snow conditions
@geoffers, it is. Been very chilly, especially early mornings, but I like that. Weirdly, it was quiet last week, and Sunday was extremely quiet, but saturday was, for Åre at least, very busy. Must've been day trippers.
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
@geoffers, it is. Been very chilly, especially early mornings, but I like that. Weirdly, it was quiet last week, and Sunday was extremely quiet, but saturday was, for Åre at least, very busy. Must've been day trippers.

Very quiet in Hemsedal too - lots of folk were arriving from Oslo Friday night as the snow/weather was looking ace for Saturday, so we opted to ski (well: Telemark) in a smaller local resort on Sat.

Only 3 (long) drag-lifts but several excellent runs with superb snow and few skiers, so avoided the crowds (if there were any)

Sunday in Hemsedal however was pretty quiet, with epic snow off-piste Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@geoffers, when we arrived there was fresh powder everywhere, it was great. Most of the easily accessible areas are tracked out now, but still plenty of good stuff with a bit of work. Considering it's nearly April conditions are very good. £ is better against the Crown than it has been for a few years too, my Swedish is coming on and not a drunken dutch or brit yob or lift queue in sight. happy days Laughing
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:

Norway (well, at least the north of it) is having a superb spring season to date. It's deffo affected by different weather systems to the alps. Sometimes similar, sometimes not...

In the recent hot spell, Norway was getting pasted by the cold arctic air mass due to the jetstream being so far south. Perfect.

@geoffers, looks fantastic; never been to the southern areas. Heading up north on Friday; can't wait snowHead
snow conditions
My brother concurs

He's loving Hemsedal

Might almost get him to ditch his beloved Val d'Isere
ski holidays
Some tips for great areas to go to in Norway:

Fly to Ålesund (KLM) and go to Stranda. Maybe the best freeriding resort in Norway and you have some small resorts close by (Overøye and sunnmørsalpene alpinanlegg). Excellent touring possibilities. Steep mountains.
Fly to Bergen (KLM, SAS, Lufthansa, Airfrance, Norwegian and Widerøe) and go to Voss. Usually more snow (and rain) than the resorts in the East. Very nice little town. Good touring possibilities and Myrkdalen close by.
For touring: Sunnmøre (Ålesund) and all north of the Polar circle are fantastic. Most famous are Lofoten and Lyngen, but Sunnmøre might be better with higher mountains and the same feeling of skiing into the ocean as those areas further north. Some mountains in the very west of Finnmark east of Lyngen are also spectacular.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Thu 30-03-23 19:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Woosh wrote:
Some tips for great areas to go to in Norway:....
....good touring possibilities and Myrkdalen close by.....

... back in '98 did a great free-heel/Telemark tour in the Jottenheim: 2 weeks hut-to-hut tour, basing ourselves at the huts then bagging some of the bigger peaks in the area.

Flew to Bergen and got the local bus to Tyinkrysset, which included a number of ferries through the fjords near to Myrkdalen (the sort of thing that people spend £££s on a cruise snowHead ) - looks like 2 tunnels have been built now from Gudvangen, so not such fun today Sad

We were met by 2 skidoos with trailers which ferried us about 14 miles to our first hut at Fondsbu, then we toured to huts at Gjendebu (bagging Knutholstinden) - Memerubu - Glitterheim (bagging Glittertinden) - Spiterstulen (bagging Galdhøpiggen) - Olavsbu then back to Fondsbu

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 30-03-23 20:50; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Woosh wrote:

Fly to Ålesund (KLM) and go to Stranda. Maybe the best freeriding resort in Norway and you have some small resorts close by (Overøye and sunnmørsalpene alpinanlegg). Excellent touring possibilities. Step mountains.
Fly to Bergen (KLM, SAS, Lufthansa, Airfrance, Norwegian and Widerøe) and go to Voss. Usually more snow (and rain) than the resorts in the East. Very nice little town. Good touring possibilities and Myrkdalen close by.
For touring: Sunnmøre (Ålesund) and all north of the Polar circle are fantastic. Most famous are Lofoten and Lyngen, but Sunnmøre might be better with higher mountains and the same feeling of skiing into the ocean as those areas further north. Some mountains in the very west of Finnmark east of Lyngen are also spectacular.

+1 to Stranda and Sunnmore

Narvik is definitely worth a visit too
snow report
Woosh wrote:
...and all north of the Polar circle are fantastic. Most famous are Lofoten...

Funny that Cool
snow report
Mike Pow wrote:
Woosh wrote:

Fly to Ålesund (KLM) and go to Stranda. Maybe the best freeriding resort in Norway and you have some small resorts close by (Overøye and sunnmørsalpene alpinanlegg). Excellent touring possibilities. Step mountains.

+1 to Stranda and Sunnmore

Narvik is definitely worth a visit too

Narvik is an awesome little place. The vibe is super good too - it feels like being in Canada or Scotland (the locals talk to you with much interest!)
snow conditions
phil_w wrote:
geoffers wrote:
The skinning shot was from a col which must have been a bit windy, so snow had been stripped there
... It's a bit like skiing Scotland ... can be very wind affected/Sastrugi on exposed aspects but plenty of powder in gullies etc
... a better than average year this year ...
Thanks, makes sense.

Folgefonna - I rode there years ago very late season... not too interesting terrain wise, from what I recall wink

Just seen a post showing it was opening day for the 2023 season at Folgefonna last week - looks fab snowHead

https://www.facebook.com/100059014698391/posts/735891461721337
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy