Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montgenevre most difficult pistes and best off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
Going to Montgenevre for the day tomorrow from Sauze D'oulx. What are the hardest runs to do and where is the best off piste area? Cheers!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Off piste = aigle sector. You got a whole valley to play with.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tetris was the hardest run i did there. Horrible icy moguls and not enjoyable
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
"Hardest" runs is such a strange thing to ask. Do you mean steepest? Do you mean actual hardness as in icy? What do you find hard? Some struggle in the bumps, others love bashing them. And why does it matter? If you ar a good enough skier to like "hard" runs, then you will also enjoy deploying your skills on all sorts of suns including off-piste. It is much. much harder, for example, to clean carve a genuine red at pace than it is to survive the Harikiri. Which opens up another question, is it on-piste or off-piste runs? Or either?

Taking you at face value I am sure we can find a couloir or two with a technical entrance that will tick the box
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@zikomo, hardest piste usually means "which piste will get me most bragging points in the bar afterwards". Mostly asked by people that proceed to sideslip/survival ski down the whole thing I agree it's a stupid question, getting down any open groomed piste shouldn't be particularly difficult to an intermediate skier.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I thought asking for "hardest" runs was a bit odd - but sounds like you found it so all was well! I don't enjoy anything I find hard, including getting up early after only falling asleep at 5am but sometimes you feel pleased you did it. In ski terms I felt like that after skiing La Grave from top to bottom in not great snow. Was good in retrospect and I was glad I'd done it though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheery lot here Laughing I just meant what do people generally considered the most difficult stuff as the rest of the via Lattea has been mostly easy compared to other resorts. Had a great day out there tho and agree that Tetris is probably the hardest.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@archors, I don't think the responses were unreasonable. It is a bit of an imprecise and frankly dumb question.

I will ask some guide friends what the gnarliest lines are in the area. Assume you are willing to hike ridges/rappel in/steep and narrow chutes are ok?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@zikomo I think you've spent too much time on online forums
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@archors, Probably. But it is hard to know what best to advise if we don't know your level of ability, what you like, and want you are looking for. Just saying that a bit more consideration to the question normally means people give their answers a bit more consideration.

A I am somewhat serious if you really want to know where the most challenging terrain is, happy to help. Maybe not what you are looking for but for sure some who ask similar questions are looking for exactly that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Love montgenrvre , we had Mitch from Apeak guide us off piste a couple of times. Absolutely superb .
Can’t recommend enough, top
Top guy as well. Eh oh! Eh oh!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I understand what the original poster was asking... its something I'd like to know, as well... I have not been to Montgenevre yet but that will change very soon. When I explore the the trail maps and pictures, runs like 3 Fourneous look like good fun and a challenge... which is what I think he was asking. What are some of the best challenging runs... not because of ice but because of challenging terrain features... couloirs, moguls, steep drop ins, etc. I'd like to know that too. I hear Sestriere has some great long, steep runs.

Case in point, I had a lot of fun pushing myself and my limits (not side slipping the whole way down) on the runs off the T-Bars at Crested Butte last year... the Headwall, Peel, North Face, Hawk's Nest, etc. I usually hit something like that on day 3-4 of a trip. I don't know what that would look like in the Via Lattea. Some European examples include being able to handle most "non-freeride" terrain at Grand Montets (as in I'm not going to follow Glenn Plake down the mountain)

On a side note and to confirm what bigtoe just posted, I have 1/2 day reserved with APeak to go on/off piste and to get some insight on the mountain.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Best off piste from the Rocher de l'Agile: in France down to the right of Soureou (look both sides and under you from the Rocher de l'A lift) and also traversing further across at the top and where the path turns right to go into Italy, continue straight on into the off-piste. Also returning on the Italian side do a long traverse left from the top of Rocher de l'Aigle and down anywhere you like on big easy slopes. or do the same traverse and walk up to do steep slopes on the French side (but a guide advisable for avalanche safety on that). Some nice tree skiing above Claviere.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 3-03-23 15:29; edited 4 times in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent... thank you!

And, to note, the comments on icy... blach... no one likes that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also can be some good off-piste across the valley, but exposed slopes often avalanched or trashed by wind or sun. Also over there, black pistes by Rocher Rouge lift. On other side, black pistes down from below Monte della Luna to Cesana Torinese (but sometimes icy). Off to the right of that (Sagna Longa) diverge right of some houses down another nice easy scenic valley off piste (often with no tracks) to the valley bottom and road. But from there you need a taxi or very long walk to get back to lifts.

The tree skiing I mentioned is mostly from Col Boeuf lift. Most obvious turning right from lift and keeping left at first, but also (harder to find) turning left and walking up the tiny bump and going over the top.
Montgenevre is not generally a place for tough pistes.
snow report
snowball wrote:
Also can be some good off-piste across the valley, but exposed slopes often avalanched or trashed by wind or sun. Also over there, black pistes by Rocher Rouge lift. On other side, black pistes down from below Monte della Luna to Cesana Torinese (but sometimes icy). Off to the right of that (Sagna Longa) diverge right of some houses down another nice easy scenic valley off piste (often with no tracks) to the valley bottom and road. But from there you need a taxi or very long walk to get back to lifts.

The tree skiing I mentioned is mostly from Col Boeuf lift. Most obvious turning right from lift and keeping left at first, but also (harder to find) turning left and walking up the tiny bump and going over the top.
Montgenevre is not generally a place for tough pistes.

I'll end up with a Via Lattea International pass so plan on exploring across all the towns. Thank you!
latest report
Well... to come back to this...

LOVED off piste off of Rocher L'Aigle (sure I'm mispelling them) with a guide on a powder day... fresh tracks everywhere we went since the visibility was average and most people were staying on piste. Really... loved it. Bowl below Collet Vert was great. Weather cleared later in the day and the wind up at the top of Chaberton was brutal. BRUTAL.

Next day, tree skiing was great... fun to just poke around the trees off of Le Tremplin and Le Bousset. Really you can find so many off piste lines in Montgenevre. Powder areas stick around for a few days because too many people want to "color inside the lines" Overall lift lines were always great - never too long and usually really quick to get on and up.

Spent a day with a friend and his ski instructor friend from Sestriere and we just burned through so many runs on piste... lots of fast fast runs on Sises, Kandahar, etc. We just kept running laps on those lifts. It was so much fun. Snow was amazing. Motta was closed Sad Had a few nice runs on the Sauze/Sansicario side but really the best conditions were Sestriere facing north.

Best surprise was one day at Serre Chevalier. Phenomenal. Would love to spend an entire week there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy