Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deux Alpes links to Grand Galaxie?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at a week in Les 2 Alpes next Jan, was looking at what else is available to expand available skiing & getting conflicting info

I can only find "standard" passes on their lift pass website - does the standard pass give you access to other resorts & how easy are they to access? Different places refer to La Grave, Puy St. Vincent, Serre Chevalier & possibly a new lift for 2024 linking with Alpe d'Huez, but I can't find whether this has been built or whether the standard lift pass covers a day in that resort or any other

Having skied Puy St. Vincent some 30 years or so ago, I don't recall it being close to any other ski areas - Serre Chevalier was about 20 miles away as I recall, though obviously could be much closer via the mountains!

Any info greatly appreciated! TIA
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think you can ski in alpe d huez for 1 day on the pass
there is no lift linking
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
So, no link, how easy to access Alpe d'Huez, I know the area well, if you've got to drive all the way up the mountain that's a lot of hairpin bends as I recall!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You can do a helicopter transfer to ADH from LDA (and vice versa). We did it last January, think the cost was 85 euro return. Book tickets at the lift pass office.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Russbost, There's a bus (used to be anyway, but double check) you can pay for that takes you between the two also
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd have thought a bus transfer might take quite a while! Confused

Heli transfer sounds like fun, I'll investigate that! Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Russbost, It was fun, and takes the grand total of 5 mins each way!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Russbost, there's usually a bus organised to Serre Chevalier as weve met up with others there who have cone across fron L2A.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Russbost, bus was in the region of 1hr if I remember, but it was 2013, so I could be wrong.

We went over, and barely saw any of ADH. Virtually nothing was open, and all I remember was skiing knee deep powder at village level, sacking it off at lunch time and playing pool and getting drunk all afternoon. Good times.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Russbost, bus takes about an hour up the 21 bends to AdH; the helicopter trip is fun and I say that as someone who REALLY dislikes flying! From memory, you hop on the resort bus from the landing area’s car park, takes a few minutes to Bergers for the main lifts, but can ski back to within a very short walk of the helicopter departure.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many moons ago we stayed in Oz-en-Oisans and did a day trip to L2A, driving in our own car. About an hours drive iirc.

I presume you will be with car?

Isn't La Grave linked?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
La Grave is sorta linked with a longish hike over the top of the glacier but it's also not really a resort as would be recognised by the average piste skier. Never quite understand the desire for other places when you've paid to be handy for one place. After all it's only six days.

Having said that if you have a suitably equipped car it's no big deal if you don't mind the commute time. Though I'd go to Auris for access rather than ADH itself.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Having said that if you have a suitably equipped car it's no big deal if you don't mind the commute time. Though I'd go to Auris for access rather than ADH itself.

half an hour, 23km plus a good place to start the day. Need to make sure you can get your one day pass there though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
After all it's only six days.

6 days is more than enough in LDA, I don't blame OP for wanting to get out of there for a day trip Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Dave of the Marmottes, LDA is only around 220km (claimed & they always exaggerate!) & some pf that is green runs even if everything is open, easily ski that in 4 days or so, nice to have a change of scenery if it's easily available, but as we won't have a car, unless they open a link by then I think it'll be heli flight or stay in LDA!
latest report
Russbost wrote:
unless they open a link by then

ha ha ha ha
latest report
@davidof, nothing wrong with being an optimist! Very Happy
snow conditions
Russbost wrote:
@davidof, nothing wrong with being an optimist! Very Happy

the last person who said that to me got wiped out by some bad life decisions they made
snow report
@davidof, cheerful! Shocked
snow conditions
@Russbost, ski rack on the Furore and go in that. You'll be off to AdH every day just for the 21 hairpins wink
snow conditions
Russbost wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, LDA is only around 220km (claimed & they always exaggerate!) & some pf that is green runs even if everything is open, easily ski that in 4 days or so, nice to have a change of scenery if it's easily available, but as we won't have a car, unless they open a link by then I think it'll be heli flight or stay in LDA!

I'd suggest you've picked the wrong resort to start with if you think you'll be bored in 4 days.
snow report
Just because you can ski everything in 4 days, or whatever, doesn't mean things get boring. Actually knowing a run or ski area well can enhance the enjoyment.

That said, I agree, if it's reasonable convenient and quick, a day away can be cool too.

And, in fact, my day trip to LDA from ADH, was quite useful because I didn't particularly take to it and so did several more trips to ADH rather than got to LDA for a longer trip.
latest report
Change is as good as a rest! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
We did the Heli trip from LDA to ADH , well worth it for a nice day out.
latest report
@eblunt, Tks for info. How long did it take overall, ie how much of the day's skiing was lost, including waiting for chopper in each direction, any other red tape, waiting around etc.? Where does it go from in L2A & where does it land in ADH?
Did you book it at the lift office?
snow report
Very little skiing lost, you catch it from the first ridge ( top of diable or Crete IIRC ) and it takes about 10 mins and we waited 15 mins ish. can't remember where it lands, but very close to a piste. I think we booked online.
latest report
@Russbost, I did the heli transfer in 2018 or so - as mentioned, you get picked up on the mountain at LDA - from my experience you get on the egg lift in LDA before it opens to the public so it's early. In AdH you get dropped at the bottom of slopes at the heliport, I seem to remember it being a short walk to a hotel which was ski in/out.

The transfer is only a few minutes so depending on the queue you can be quick, the time I used it there was 4 groups.

Returning, was a 3:30 or 4pm (I don't remember exactly) pickup at the heliport. This was the longest wait for me because I didn't want to miss it and turned up early.

Factor in, once you're back in LDA, you have to ski off the mountain.

It's not cheap, but, if it is in your budget then it's a nice addition to the holiday.

I booked in resort at the tourist office - very easy to do. I have a vague memory of it only being available on certain days and being warned it gets booked up. I could be wrong on all those things, though, if it was the sort of thing you wanted to do I might not leave it to the day before to book it.
snow report
La Grave isn't much of a hike and only a bit uphill from the top LDA lift. There are no actual pistes there and there are a number of very steep slopes and a few cliffs you could accidentally ski over if you skied at random. However very quickly after a snow fall the two main ways down become like pistes and are not that difficult if you can ski black runs, though never groomed.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowball wrote:
La Grave isn't much of a hike and only a bit uphill from the top LDA lift. There are no actual pistes there and there are a number of very steep slopes and a few cliffs you could accidentally ski over if you skied at random. However very quickly after a snow fall the two main ways down become like pistes and are not that difficult if you can ski black runs, though never groomed.

All true, but to make sure this comes across correctly - because I got that wrong when I had the same advice some 20 years ago - "very quickly" means within the first day really. And yes, that is the day the avalanche bulletin tells you to stay at home.
ski holidays
@Tristero, and assuming the OP is capable of it.
snow report
IIRC La Grave is called that for a reason! I'd be happy enough to ski it, but only with a guide or at least someone who knew it very well, I very much doubt I'd get SWMBO to do it since she had a meniscus tear during an off piste run some years back resulting in an arthroscopy, we tend to stick to the pistes nowadays ..... Sad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy