Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quieter Austrian Resorts 2024 Feb Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,
Looking at Feb half term 2024 and I know everywhere will be busy given the lining up of school holidays across Europe, but trying to find somewhere that might still be quiet, or at least not overrun. Looking at flights and hotel availability, some of the resorts below are possibilities. Which of them would be not crazy busy? Thanks a lot!

Kitzbuhel
Damuls
Wilden Kaiser
Obertauern
The Haus/Ennstal part of the Schladming area
Kaprun/Kitzsteinhorn
Alpendorf
Leogang
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nassfeld maybe?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@marcs44, I think you may be worrying unnecessarily. The larger Austrian resorts will be busy throughout February, and there is a capacity limit imposed by the amount of accommodation. Yes, there will be day trippers, but they avoid the peak times because they can visit on any weekend.

I've been in Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Skiwelt, and Mayrhofen during UK half term, including when that coincided with Fasching and Danish, Czech and Dutch holidays. It was busier than in January, but not massively so, and both the uplift and the available skiing area meant that it was not crowded and the longest lift queues were about 5 minutes and usually caused by a pile up rather than weight of numbers.

If you are determined to go somewhere quiet, try smaller resorts which are not on the UK tour operator map, like Maria Alm, Wagrain, Zillertal Arena, Alpbach, Fügen and similar places. But don't expect 300Km of slopes and a vibrant nightlife
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It was busier than in January, but not massively so......

I'd disagree - we ski throughout Jan and Feb (and March) and the holidays are significently busier. But then, I consider 5 mins in a ski lift as being excessive so perhaps you are coming from a different perspective... Wink

If you are determined to go somewhere quiet, try smaller resorts which are not on the UK tour operator map, like Maria Alm, Wagrain, Zillertal Arena, Alpbach, Fügen and similar places. But don't expect 300Km of slopes and a vibrant nightlife

Good call, although Zillertal Arena was very busy this year - we were in Gerlos, really busy compared with previous years - so many more people on the buses up from Zell to ski in Gerlos, Konigsleiten, Hochkrimml (they are higher and had better snow than Mayrhofen and Zillertal).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 22-07-23 21:42; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@marcs44, I would suggest considering how snow-sure you want your ski holiday to be. Hopefully next season is better than last, but a lot of the Austrian resorts are very low altitude compared to e.g. France. It is an increasing risk going for the lower Austrian resorts imho. Last season was a joke, green mountains all over the place a lot of the time.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Pyramus wrote:
@marcs44, I would suggest considering how snow-sure you want your ski holiday to be. Hopefully next season is better than last, but a lot of the Austrian resorts are very low altitude compared to e.g. France. It is an increasing risk going for the lower Austrian resorts imho. Last season was a joke, green mountains all over the place a lot of the time.

I was in Kitzbühel(low by french standards)over xmas last year. Higher resorts in France a complete were a complete wash out we were skiing in to the town. same again Feb. its not all about altitude
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Scamper, In recent years I've got a trip in before Christmas, one in January, one in half term week, and occasionally one in March or even the first week of April. I average 20 days per year. In the places I typically ski (big areas like Saalbach, Flachau, Skiwelt, and then smaller places like those I listed above), the difference between January and February is noticable, but not to the extent that there are queues at every lift and a high risk of collision on the piste. I'd say that most of the larger places are at about 75% occupancy during January with full carparks on sunny weekend days, and above 95% occupancy in February but with the car parks under 50% full because the day trippers stay away. And of course day trippers on weekdays are much lower in numbers.

A 5 minute queue is not the end of the world, and on most of my trips in February they've been very much the exception rather than a common thing. The occasional 1-2 minutes, mostly under 30 seconds, and in places there have been no queues at all, even on the main runs.

The major difference is at peak times and known pinch points, so e.g. if you ski down the Jausernabfarht in Saalbach and arrive at the bottom at 9:45, you'll find every ski school class in that part of the valley all queueing at once, and it will be a 10-15 minute shuffle. 9am at the Hartkaiser in Ellmau? Could be 5-10 minutes. But once you are on the hill, those are behind you.

@Pyramus, I've not lost a day of Austrian skiing in over 20 years because of lack of snow, or high winds - I've been restricted to lower slopes only in some places during storms, but I've still had 6000+m on those days. I'm not sure those who head for the higher French resorts could say the same. That said, February half term is peak snow depth for most resorts, and if you find a resort which has serious snow problems in the middle of February you've chosen very badly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feb half term last season was a total slush fest in Saalbach and even worse in the lower resorts.
Yes you can ski on man made slush if that floats your boat.
Fact is the reliable snow line seems to be increasing each year, and a lot of Austria is definitely less snow sure, and I mean natural snow not man made..
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The busy week in Austria coincides with Fasching/Carnivale/Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday.... That's when the Dutch and Bavarians descend in numbers. Our area (Cambs) has half term the week after and it will be significantly quieter.

As has been said above, the Austrian lift system is exceptional and the capacity at most lifts will ensure short queuing. I wouldn't consider France at Half Term.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go in the faschings week probably only Kärnten or south tirol will be not so Busy
Then Maria Alm hochkönig...all the other will be really busy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pyramus wrote:
Feb half term last season was a total slush fest in Saalbach and even worse in the lower resorts.
Fact is the reliable snow line seems to be increasing each year, and a lot of Austria is definitely less snow sure, and I mean natural snow not man made..

Xmas and new year 21/22 I was in tignes. It rained up to the glacier, A week later I was in the Ziller valley, crisp cold squeeky pistes and cold smokey powder.
You can't compare France and Austria on altitude its not the same weather patterns.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
To OP:

I am just pointing out you may want to consider snow reliability as well as how busy a resort is...it is a scientific fact that the freeze line is related to altitude. It is also a scientific fact that the climate is warming. Put 2+2 together.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
And make 5
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Leogang would be a good option - but make sure that you stay either by the Asitz lift or by the Steinbergbahn. There are plenty of hotels and apartments in these locations which are more convenient than Leogang village, which is a couple of km away.

There will of course be a queue at the valley gondolas first thing - 10-15 minutes is very likely - but both lifts are high-speed, high-capacity gondolas and you can beat the worst of the queues and beat the ski schools by getting there before 09.30. Once up into the terrain the queues disappear as people fan out. The lifts in the bowls between Leogang and Saalbach are the newest in the area - luxury 8-seaters with very comfortable individual seats - where there are seldom queues even at the busiest times.

The great thing about Leogang is that once at the top, you're ahead of everyone coming across from Saalbach and you can explore Saalbach and Hinterglemm whilst mainly travelling in the opposite direction to the S-H crowd - like driving in the rush hour but in the opposite direction to everyone else. You can also ski across from S-H to Fieberbrunn, from where it is a short shuttle-bus back to Leogang. You could even ski to Zell am See and either ski back via Saalbach or take the train back to Leogang if you run out of time.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi,
Thanks for all the replies. Much appreciated.
In terms of snow reliability and extent of terrain, I'm not too concerned. I grew up skiing in Vermont so I'm used to terrible snow reliability and tiny ski resorts. Of course it'd be nice to be somewhere covered in a blanket of white but happy to take the chance with the above places.
So of all the resorts I listed in my original post, are any better/worse than the others in terms of peak crowds? Obviously they'll all be busy but are any of them definitely to avoid? Is Kitzbuhel a bad choice that week in that respect?
Thanks a lot.
ski holidays
Pyramus wrote:
To OP:

I am just pointing out you may want to consider snow reliability as well as how busy a resort is...it is a scientific fact that the freeze line is related to altitude. It is also a scientific fact that the climate is warming. Put 2+2 together.

Wrong again, France has the warming influence from Africa and the Atlantic which doesn't really hit Österreich. When the winds turn and blow in the cold from the East, Austria gets that cold blast before it warms up.
Your theory is wrong with altitude when not taking demographic in to consideration, the coldest recorded temp on Everest is -42, Its consistently colder than that in parts of Russia at less than 500m through the winter.
snow conditions
@marcs44, Kitzbühel is big and well spread out, you can get away from pinch points a d move around the mountain and have a good sense of travelling. The lift system is new and fast there, it will be as good a bet as any
ski holidays
Thanks again all for the replies and info. Really appreciated. Narrowing down to Kitzbuhel, Leogang or the Hauser Kaibling area next to Schladming.
snow report
Mother hucker wrote:
Pyramus wrote:

Xmas and new year 21/22 I was in tignes. It rained up to the glacier, A week later I was in the Ziller valley, crisp cold squeeky pistes and cold smokey powder.
You can't compare France and Austria on altitude its not the same weather patterns.

good point. However the majority of the slopes in Zillertal are above 1.600m
While e.g. the majority of the slopes in Kitz are from 900 till 1.700m
snow conditions
Yes exactly. I'm not claiming and never did claim that other weather factors and geography do not impact snow fall and that it is purely a question of altitude. I never said that and nor is it the case.

But you are more likely to get poor conditions the lower you go, which is why resorts like Obergurgl have a rep for being more snow-sure. It's not rocket science?

Now cue the barrage of comments pointing to examples when it was raining in Obergurgl and snowing in Ellmau or other example of freak weather events (or from people pedaling their own resort agendas of which there are waaaay too many on this forum Laughing )
snow report
@marcs44, Personally I would avoid Kitzbühel in high season. I like the place, it has some good skiing (better than most of the similar places nearby) but it gets crowded. It markets itself as a "high end" resort and consequently gets high season crowds. Where you stay matters, it could be a fair schlep on the bus to the lifts. Leogang is OK but a little bit out on a limb from the rest of S-H area (though there is a bus link to Fieberbrunn which helps). No experience with Schladming. Must say I think the earlier suggestion of Maria Alm is a good one.
snow report
@Pyramus, It doesn't matter any how. We all chose where we want to go for our own reasons. Chances are you'll be able to ski on snow human made or natural regardless of where you end up. Germknoodle, apfelstruddel und kaiserschmarm are only in Austria and that's worth the visit on its own,
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, yes agreed. It's mostly in the lap of the gods when you are tied to a specific week anyhow. OP is picking Austria which regardless of resort is a good choice Very Happy
ski holidays
@Mother hucker, now kaiserschmarm is good, but I'm not sure its THAT good...

Bombardinios on the other hand...

Or Zweigelt for that matter
snow conditions
Maria Alm does look great but the friends we're going with only want to do 5 nights so that narrows down the choices, and nothing in Maria Alm came up.
Yeah earlier or later in the season I go to more snow sure places but I'm happy to take my chances a little bit in mid Feb. Worst is it's a week full of dumplings, schnapps, sun terraces and man made snow.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy