Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria: Zillertal 2023/24

Poster: A snowHead
Is it time to start the new thread for Zillertal?
I'm not planning on skiing just yet, but it sounds like @swskier will be able to report on conditions at Hintertux very soon.

I was at the top of the Penken, Mayrhofen a couple of weeks ago. They were doing some earthworks up there. I've no idea what (and a quick Google isn't shedding any light on it) but it looked like they might have been shaping a half pipe Puzzled I guess it will come clear soon enough.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I was thinking about this thread, didn't want to steal your thunder @SaraJ!

I'm planning on going up to Hintertux on Sunday as long as it's not too windy, looks as though the forecast has reduced slightly on that front.

I'll report back if I do head up!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great! This will be my main source of info over the coming weeks. First time to the Zillertal on the 2nd Jan

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 28-09-23 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swskier, Steal away! Laughing
The thread may be updated more often if you're thinking about it too!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SaraJ, given I skied weekly on the 250m long dendix at Gloucester, the prospect of 3 slopes at pretty much 10km of skiing is mind blowing! Laughing

Hopefully i'll be up there most weekends from now on. We'll see!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@SaraJ, Very Happy yay!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The missus is walking the dog on a loop in Hintetux from the car park to the Tuxer Jochaus, Sommerberg and back, while I head up for a ski. What a Sunday! snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So a nice couple of hours skiing this morning. They had opened up a bit of extra terrain today so both sides of t bars were open up the top.

20231001-092511

20231001-100845

20231001-104047

Red runs side weren't the nicest, but the blue pistes side were better, probably as they have more sun on that side so had softened a bit.

Pretty busy up there, with race clubs from pretty much every nation in the Europe and North America!

Turns out, it's true what they say about the little race kids and queuing....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@swskier, great stuff, well done. You claim first Very Happy turns of the season
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, thanks, I'll wear the badge with pride Laughing

Not sure I'll go up for a few weeks. Could do with a drop in temperatures and some more snow, which certainly isn't in the forecast for the next week.

We'll see though, I'll probably change my mind come next weekend!

I imagine it might be a bit quieter next weekend, the Germans are on a long weekend this weekend, but we shall see if I do go up!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Website now claiming 17km, which seems odd because if anything visually its disimproved starkly on the webcams. Must have been harvested snow.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@8611, looks like the run down to Tuxner Fernerhaus is open, that's only because they were shifting snow around up there, it would be closed still otherwise.

I've not been up since the weekend before last. It's been warm and sunny ever since, except a storm last Tuesday evening, and looking at the cams it looks a lot worse up there.

Weather forecast has freezing levels dropping to 2100m's this weekend and some snow above that, so things should improve a bit up there. I'll not be up there now until the 21st/22nd weekend.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Google maps have an updated picture of Hintertux in mid summer, naked! It's looking very sad, very different to how it looked 30 years ago. Even 20 years ago there was large walk in cave carved into the ice close to the Tuxerfernhaus. At that point the ice must have been around 20 feet thick and now there is no ice at all.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
10cm of snow forecast this weekend. Temperatures right down in the valley around Mayrhofen due to drop 10⁰ from Saturday to Sunday and remain around that level through to next week, which is good for the glacier.

Hoping to be up there Sunday 22nd for another slide. snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just saw that the Schneekar Hut and various other iconic spots round the Hof were featured on a Ch4 program this week. "Don't look down, sand up to cancer". I would advise not watching though, unless you like watching gob shite idiots.
ski holidays
JimboS wrote:
Just saw that the Schneekar Hut and various other iconic spots round the Hof were featured on a Ch4 program this week. "Don't look down, sand up to cancer". I would advise not watching though, unless you like watching gob shite idiots.

Yes, they were driving Audi SUVs around plastered in SU2C. The owners of the guesthouse we were living in at the time were asking us if we knew what it was they were filming.
snow report
swskier wrote:
10cm of snow forecast this weekend. Temperatures right down in the valley around Mayrhofen due to drop 10⁰ from Saturday to Sunday and remain around that level through to next week, which is good for the glacier.

Hoping to be up there Sunday 22nd for another slide. snowHead

Yeah webcams looking decidedly wintery now! Albeit may only be a brief change of clothes let's see
ski holidays
@8611, looks as though temps pick up a bit again but more snow forecast again next weekend. I should be able to give an on the spot review next weekend hopefully.
ski holidays
Ah again I've no skin in the game @swskier, just like watching Winter creep in

First wepowder update of the new season today
ski holidays
@8611, snow line from my lounge this morning was below the top station of ahorn, so it's definitely dropped in temperature over the weekend, which is also very clear at valley level too.
ski holidays
Went up for a ski today. Carnage. So many people up there. Holiday week this week as there's a bank holiday on Thursday, plus there's loads of race clubs up there still, as well as World Cup teams, I met the Canadian ladies GS team in the scrum (sorry queue) for the t-bar, and also saw the Swedish ladies as they came back down.

Visibility was poor, but snow conditions were a bit better, as they'd had some fresh snow over night. It was snowing at Sommerberg as we arrived, and snow on the ground there too, although that'll be gone in the next few days.

20231022-112021

I sacked it off after a few runs as all I was doing was standing in queues. Skied right back down to Tuxer Fernerhaus, which was "interesting".

Will be up there again on Thursday on the bank holiday, so expecting it too be just as busy, but we'll see.
ski holidays
When the car parks look like this, you know you are in for a lot of queuing.

ski holidays
Stubai is close till 26.10, Kaprun also, Sölden is the race and many dont want there (there are not so many slopes open to be honest)...
So there only pitztal, Kaunertal and Hintertux.
And from all of them Hintertux is the most visited (for many reasons)
latest report
@turms2, Stubai opened last Monday.

I came across this video on Instagram from Saturday, when they had a delayed opening.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyp3J_RrfHo/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==
ski holidays
Just seen today they've opened up some more terrain with the Lärmstange chair opening.
snow report
swskier wrote:
@turms2, Stubai opened last Monday.

I came across this video on Instagram from Saturday, when they had a delayed opening.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cyp3J_RrfHo/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

yes it was open, but from Sunday i think is closed till 26.10
PItztal und Kaunertal are also open, but Pitztal has this train where someone must over 30min wait, and kaunertal has these 18 U-curves Skullie Embarassed
ski holidays
@turms2, ah ok, closed for a few days until the holiday in Thursday then?

I'd planned to go up again Thursday/Friday this week, but not sure I'll bother now, based on yesterday. I'll wait for other places to open and the crowds to die down a bit.
ski holidays
swskier wrote:
@turms2, ah ok, closed for a few days until the holiday in Thursday then?

I'd planned to go up again Thursday/Friday this week, but not sure I'll bother now, based on yesterday. I'll wait for other places to open and the crowds to die down a bit.

i have no idea. If you check the website they said "Liebe Gäste, auf Grund der Wetter- und Schneesituation sind aktuell alle Anlagen geschlossen. Voraussichtliche Wiederaufnahme am 26.10.2023. Weitere Informationen folgen!"

Meaning probably the will open at 26.10, info will come later, but till then no operation at all.

I wouldnt bother to go to stubai. If you check the web cams it is really dissapointing. And do not forget the week after (30.10 till 03.11) are the school holidays in BW and BY....stubai ist always overcrowded in these days. And if only a couple of slopes are open

I wanted also to plan a visit, but do not worth it at all
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JimboS, man that is busy. Is it mainly ski teams? Seems mad that recreational skiers would be that enthusiastic about what must be mediocre conditions.
snow report
@8611, I'd say in the region of 75/80% of people up there are race teams.

There's a bunch of British teams out now. Bumped in to a mate of mine from Gloucester ski centre/ western counties race club who is coaching this week with UNIQ.

Hopefully with some more snow this week, they'll open up more and more skiing. They've opened the chair today, and I'd imagine there's enough snow over on pistes 11-14 to get them opened up as well, and the t bars that serve them.

That'll help spread the skiers out some more.
latest report
@8611, that was Saturday 29th October 2005, it turned out it was a holiday weekend hence the number of cars, that day it was 90% punters rather than ski teams. There was no snow below the Tuxerfernhaus, so large queues and busy on piste. Definitely a weekend to avoid.

ski holidays
Yesterday was Austria National day, so a bank holiday for everyone here. Didn't ski as the weather forecast wasn't great, but we did go for a bike/run around Speicher Duarlaßboden up on the Gerlos pass. Really nice area, and really quiet up there.

20231026-103416

20231026-105620

20231026-111743

I did go up to the glacier at lunch time today after i'd finished work, and there'd been a couple of inches of fresh snow, and in general the pistes are in the best condition of the 3 times i've been up there.

20231027-132327

Now that the Lärmstange chairlift is open, it feels like the t-bar lift queues are a lot quieter, but that could also have been down to the fact I didn't start skiing until 12.30.

Back up Sunday again probably, weather depending.

Mrs Swskier took the dog out around Hintertux for a walk while I skied and the colours are great there with a mix of Autumn and Winter!

IMG-20231027-WA0001
latest report
Looks fantastic - autumnal walking or winter skiing depending on your chosen altitude. Presumably with fairly easy access at different altitudes.
snow report
@Nodeamus, exactly. We drove up together to the base station in Hintertux, I shot straight up to 3200m, and she walked from the car park up to Sommerberg (top of the first gondola) at 2100m.

I skied around for about 1.5/2 hours before heading down, and she did her walk and we arrived back at the van within 5/10 minutes of each other.

This is our normal routine when I go skiing, as she won't have her lift pass until she starts her winter job in December.
ski holidays
...and many of us are quite jealous of you two!
ski holidays
@Scooter in Seattle, snowHead snowHead
snow report
@swskier, I think your wife has it about right October is usually the best month for walking in the mountains, its too hot and thundery in the summer (despite the huts being open). There are often good periods of settled sunny weather with glorious views (the aptly named Kaiserwetter), if you are lucky some snow on the tops as in the picture above. Skiing is best left for a few weeks yet when (hopefully) there has been some decent snow fall.
snow conditions
@munich_irish, she's loving this season, more than she expected too in fact. The walks are so quiet too. She's over in Grafenegg today playing in the Austrian National Brass Band championships, so I took the dog out along the Zillergrund, and except the 4 people that arrived at the car park just before me, I saw nobody on the walk!
snow report
25km open now on the maps, basically everything above Tuxer Fernhaus, creeping into the season for sure!

@swskier, we obv share a passion for gravel biking too, was thinking it would be good up there when I was there last May and the snow was in retreat revealing the nice trails underneath. There must be great routes in the Alps. Are hut to hut trips on bikes a thing in the summer I wonder?

Mainly fireroads and canals back home (Ireland) and a lot less of the latter than the UK so hard to get bang for your buck
ski holidays
@8611, yes, most things above Tuxer Fernnerhaus open, but the runs down to there are really disgusting, probably worth downloading level of disgusting. I pretty side slipped it all yesterday, because you don't know where the backside of the slushy mogul will be snow, pure ice or a rock.

Interestingly perhaps, my bike is a gravel bike, actually i've only ever used it as a road bike, and the ride on Thursday was the first time i've used it in a gravel bike setting. Not bad in 12 years ownership Laughing I really enjoyed the gravel biking though, and I think it'll open up a lot of opportunities next summer. A walk we've down from Schlegeis to the Italian border would be a perfect example of a route I could do on the bike, baring some large steps in places.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy