Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2023-2024 Snow Report Flaine/Les Carroz/Morillon/Samöens/Sixt

Poster: A snowHead
Snow coming down all around, seems like a great time to start the new thread. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'll re-post here, small pre-opening this weekend at Flaine!

https://www.flaine.com/actualite/post/preouverture-domaine-ski-flaine-2023

Flaine partially opens this weekend!
Partial opening of the domain this Saturday December 2 and Sunday December 3, 2023 .
Price of the day ski pass: €10 (season pass accepted).

Free for skiers under 8 years old and people aged 75 and over only on presentation of proof of age.

Ski lifts open :

Tête des Verds chairlift
Desert Blanc chairlift
Meadow Carpet _
Michalet rug
Open trails :

Maple
Bissac
Spruce
Larch
Serpentine
Crystal
Breakfast offered by the Tourist Office on Saturday December 2 at the foot of the Tête des Verds chairlift.

Additional Information :

Slopes open from 8:45 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
Purchase Pass: only at the Grandes Platières cable car ticket office, from 8:30 a.m.
Free P1 parking .
The Flaine Forum barriers will be closed.
Elevator No. 1 open from Saturday, for the weekend.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beautiful bluebird day today with pretty good snow. I'm just ignoring the weather forecast for the next 36 hours and just going to skip straight to the weekend.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/YIaUFaC[/img]
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@coldrainsnow, only 'pretty good'? Very Happy One of the days of the season and it's still november. Yeah best not to look outside again until Sat morning, by which point I should be on a lift up to Flaine....looking forward to some lifts.

We picked Flaine over Avoriaz hoping it will be quieter. And at half the price with a free breakfast thrown in....was a quick debate.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hahaha okay the snow was great, just didn't want to make anybody else too jealous. Wink Yeah we're hitting Flaine on Saturday too, apparently the only thing that can get my teenager even more excited for his first day of the season was a mention of "free breakfast" lol. I'm looking forward to some lifts too, although my quads are feeling today's descents more than the climbs!!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A little jealous is fine Toofy Grin , it's social media for snow addicts

Hope that road is cleared early.....mate has brand new winters but no chains, front wheel drive.....the adventure might start before we even get there
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
They usually get the road cleared pretty early unless it's actively dumping. That being said we often park at Vernant during the season just so we don't have to go up and over the little col (and it's free).

Rain all day here at 1000m across the valley... although from what I could see up high the snow was sticking around quite a bit. Flood warnings issued and Avalanche risk at 4/5 however. Currently looks like rain throughout the night and then getting cold again first thing in the morning....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Rain and sleet up until about 15:00 today and then it turned to snow and is coming down pretty good right now! We'll see how much damage was done by that rain tomorrow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@coldrainsnow, I was going to post just so you weren't the only poster on here but @polo, beat me to it.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you are a British disabled skier and try to apply for a discounted disabled lift pass from Les Carroz, don't bother, seems they will only accept French disability orange cards. British VI skier with a certificate of visual impairment indicating severely sight impaired refused, so means have to pay twice to ski as can't ski without a guide, who will need a pass as well.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Zorrac, Get in touch with Sainte Foy Tourist office I’m sure you will find them most accommodating….. with it being a Commune owned ski resort they are very user friendly and are friendly towards disabilities .
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Zorrac, bit of social media pressure required?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

@coldrainsnow, I was going to post just so you weren't the only poster on here but @polo, beat me to it.

Haha thanks @under a new name... don't worry, I'm very familiar with talking to myself.

@polo did you all make it up today?!? We are opting for tomorrow now with the kids football game finally cancelled, hoping for some sunny blue skies and lots of snow! It's been snowing hard all day here at 1000m, I bet GM is getting walloped pretty well. I know that anything can happen but this is a pretty great start to December.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@coldrainsnow, yep stayed in Morillion 1100, and went out to a new bar / restaurant opening....dragged ourselves to Flaine for 830 and then waited 3 hours for the lifts to open, free breakfast was welcome. Finally got on some lifts, but viz was poor most of the day. As for the snow, pretty good Very Happy . Tomorrow will be amazing as hardly anyone used the higher lift, but lower down it is well tracked now.....saw some scary 'dips' along the way....5m wide holes, and nothing was bashed so pistes are already mogulled. My mate is going again tomorrow but I am elsewhere
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Absolutely fabulous day at Flaine today, sunny skies, many ungroomed pistes, and "pretty good" snow. Very Happy Had a blast out there with the fam, and my 14 year old officially dropped me on the final descent down Almadine with no hope of me catching up. I'm afraid it's all over now.

It's always so striking driving in and seeing the whole mountain covered in perfect powder, and driving out and seeing nothing but tracks everywhere haha. It only felt crowded a couple of times, with pushy people in the queue for Desert Blanc, but like always it was easy enough to get away from the masses on the slopes and we got in and left before the traffic jams.

One day at a time, but this is quite an amazing start to the season.. I'm assuming they'll open again and do the same thing next weekend if the weather lines up.
ski holidays
Another pre-ouverture at Flaine this weekend, this time a little more costly (30 euros without a pass and you have to pay for parking), but the DMC will be up and running at least.

Had a great day off the Tete de Saix today, snow is still amazing, although they are bashing the hell out of all the pistes down low aux Carroz to get ready for the season.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ouverture partielle du domaine ce samedi 9 décembre et dimanche 10 décembre 2023.
Tarif normal du pass ski journée : 30 €
Tarif réduit (8 - 14 ans) : 24 €
Abonnement saison & skillico acceptés.

Gratuité pour les skieurs de moins de 8 ans et les personnes de 75 ans et plus uniquement sur présentation d'un justificatif d'âge.

Les remontées mécaniques ouvertes :

Téléphérique des Grandes Platières (DMC)
Télésiège de Tête des Verds
Télésiège du Désert Blanc
Tapis du Pré
Tapis Michalet
Tapis du Bissac
Les pistes ouvertes :

Érable
Bissac
Azurite
Épicéa
Mélèze
Serpentine
Cristal
Émeraude
Faust
Tanzanite

Informations supplémentaires :

Ouverture des pistes de 9h00 - 16h00.
Achat Pass : uniquement la caisse du téléphérique des Grandes Platières, dès 8h30.
Parking du P1, P2, P3 payants.
Les barrières de Flaine Forum, Forêt, Front de Neige seront fermées.
Ascenseur N°1 et N°2 sont ouverts.
snow conditions
Any signals to suggest how Les Carroz/Grand Massif will be last week in Jan? Looking like a safe bet?

Thanks
ski holidays
@AllTheGear, it's a bit far out to know anything!
latest report
@AllTheGear, yup, lots of time for things to happen both good and bad. Right now the snow is pretty great at mid and high altitudes and the base is quite good. It's all a bit more faible below 1800 or so after the rain last week, but they bashed the pistes pretty good all thru GM. Time will tell!

I'm off on holiday for two weeks so if you can line up a massive New Year's dump that would be ideal.
ski holidays
Fair enough thanks.

I’m planning a DIY trip for 16ppl for the last week of Jan.

Aiming for Les Carroz but trying to find the sweet spot of when to commit to accommodation. Waiting it out to see how the snow is vs being left without affordable accommodation options for the group!

I guess I’m gunna have to probs bite the bullet and hope for the best?
ski holidays
@AllTheGear, I mean even with the multiple melts last season the pistes stayed skiable up at Flaine all winter. Off piste and the stuff down lower was more hit or miss depending on the storms. End of Jan is overall pretty safe, you'll be able to get on something good if you're willing to go up high and let's hope conditions are excellent and you can go everywhere with ease!
snow report
Gotcha thanks - ok I'll pull the trigger on accom and probably sit tight on ski pass for now. Then worse case we can bus it to Flaine every day.
ski holidays
@AllTheGear, consider buying passes now - we were in Morillon for the first 2 weeks of Jan '23, just after the storm that wiped out everything below 1600m. We spent the first 5 days driving 45 minutes round to Flaine, but on some of those days they would only allow you into Flaine if you already had a ski pass, you couldn't buy day passes in resort
latest report
Oh damn - thanks that's good insight..
ski holidays
@AllTheGear, yup, that's actually the worst case scenario - that they close the bus connections and only let people ski at Flaine that already have their passes. Hopefully it doesn't come to that again this year!!!!

And, right after all that nonsense happened, we got a great powder dump....... Wink
snow report
We’re staying in Flaine for a week this Saturday. Child has morning ski lessons, will it be worth getting the Grands Vans lift across to the higher parts of Samoens etc or will it be a total long nightmare to get back into Flaine & not even worth it for the conditions (did look like snow to at least 1500m on the webcam)? Never been there, I assume it’s going to be annoyingly busy at all lifts and we have short days already with the young child!! The interactive piste map doesn’t seem to work or maybe they won’t turn it on until official full resort opening and at that point we’ll know how limited our options are..
snow report
Just been in Flaine / GM for three days - awesome conditions for this time of year. Some closures I think just down to relatively not busy.
In reply to grand vans question above - dead easy to get back from the top of samoëns morillion - all blue runs just one slight tricky bit in the blue dolomie which leads to verdant chairlift for access back to Flaine. I think there is a track to avoid the steepish 100m or so, the rest of it is very straightforward.
latest report
Thanks for info. Not worried about the ski runs even if it they were hard, I’m worried about a queue bottleneck over Christmas from the top of samoens morillion back into Flaine & whether it will be worth the effort given those resorts are even lower than Flaine & we have just under 3hrs of ski time (though ski school is next to Grands Vans lift so it’s our quickest way up to some proper runs). I assume from this Saturday/Sunday the resorts will get much busier due to school holidays! I don’t want to get over there & then realise it was pointless & will now take 30mins of waiting to get back across.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The general flow of skiers sees queues heading to Flaine in the morning and then queues heading back late afternoon. So going to Flaine from Samoens/Morillon late afternoon is against the tide so you'd be unlikely to see any large queues. The final blue pitch down to the Vernant chair can be icy and mogulled at the end of the day but, as neilkav says, there is normally a pisted track to the right that avoids it.
As for snow cover, the Samoens base is at 1600m and the runs are mainly north facing so the cover will be little different to Flaine.
But yes, expect it to be busy everywhere!
snow conditions
In Flaine for a few days. Conditions are quite good, tiny bit of fresh snow yesterday and very light snow at the moment. Low cloud at resort level yesterday but the sun was shining at the top of the DMC and Aup de Veran. None of the drag lifts are open on the south/south east side of the bowl but that might change this weekend. No queues, which is lovely. Annoyingly, the Foret drag is also closed which means having to get a bus back to Montsoleil or going up Grands Vans. They have been pulling snow off the sides of the piste onto the pistes which makes the snow to the sides of the piste almost unskiable. Overall, a promising start to the season.
latest report
Lots more fresh snow in Flaine overnight, fantastic conditions and very quiet before the hoards arrive tomorrow. Samoens and Les Carroz also good, Morillon 1100 a disaster with hardly any cover at village level which is a real shame, second year running
snow report
Saturday was a superb day. Lots of fresh snow , very quiet, lovely sunshine and blue skies.

Les Carroz hardpack and bumpy lower down so we skied around Grand platieres and off piste at the top of tête de saix. Super super day.

Is Morillon open ? Partly maybe. Looked terrible on webcams.
ski holidays
I'm trying to make sense of the piste map: https://grandmassif.2dmap.spotlio.com/?locale=en

Is it possible for beginners staying in Les Carroz to make their way across to the Marvel green run in Morillion?
ski holidays
Assuming they aren’t super young & have had 1/2 day of skiing lessons then I’d say they’d probably manage the blue into Marvel green run. Just need more snow as it was almost gone on boxing Day, a 1inch layer of snow for some parts, we saw some skiers go the wrong way & get stuck on a massive mud slope, I assume you’d just ski in mud in that instance as it looked pretty slimy, I’d of rather sacrificed my skis than my boots in that instance as at least the skis would keep you afloat of the worst of the mud.
snow report
First day in resort today. Lazy start meets huge queue at Chariande Express. Maybe MORILLON folks headed over to start their day in Samoens because Sairon piste is closed at the start of Bergin lift.
Kicked off the day from Tete Des Saix down portet [blown backwards by high wind as we passed Vernant and Corbalanche chairlifts. But good snow cover down to Molliets. Over to MORILLON to realise that Sairon piste is closed as the start of Bergin. Took Bergin and then gave marvel a go. Fun for the vast majority but brown slush at the end.
Decided not to head to Flaine due to high winds and crowds. Looped around Secteur Gron with great conditions and no queues and no high winds. Ended the day in Samoens where the pistes are holding up really well. All in all, a great day with a superb lunch at L’Igloo. snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
No idea why MORILLON keeps switching to shouty capitals…and I am the original Freestyle account but was locked out and had to create a new account to get back in so this is only my 2nd post but I have posted over 400 times over many years…not sure what happened but at least I’m back in again now… Puzzled snowHead Cool
snow report
Any snow overnight up high in GM? (tete des saix/Flaine) From my perch across the valley it's hard to tell. Just rain over here to 1600 meters.
ski holidays
@Pasigal, wouldn’t have thought so!
latest report
Thinking of a day trip to Flaine tomorrow as Les Gets has taken a hit with the rain.
How's it fairing up?
latest report
It was sort of drizzle snow - snizzle? Laughing

Pistes higher than desert Blanc are holding up ok on piste.
Viz not great and lots and LOTS of people. I think the whole of visitors to MORILLON are in Flaine.

Generally far too warm - fingers crossed for a temp dip very soon… snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy