Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc 1800 or 1950 at christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all - would love to know if anyone has any experience of arc 1800 / 1950 at Christmas. Is 1950 really worth the crazy prices compared with arc 1800. It would seem that there is a parade and fireworks on Christmas Day in Arc 1950 but can’t work out what arc 1800 has - maybe the same??? Would love to hear from those that have been!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Elsie80, We stayed at Arc 2000 a few Xmas`s back, in accommodation that overlooked 1950. There is a lift between the two so staying at one it`s easy access to the other. We choose 2000 because I could not find large enough apartments in 1950, it was also cheaper at 2000. Both resorts had Xmas eve entertainments, (torch light parades, Santas arrival on a sleigh, fireworks etc) but I don`t recall anything on Xmas Day.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would also recommend staying in Arc2000 as you can access the 1950 Christmas events easily from there. Arc 2000 is also well placed for skiing and in a poor year the snow cover will be better above 2000 than 1800 not just because of altitude but orientation of the slopes. However if the conditions are whiteout visibility will be poor in 1950/2000 and better in 1800 or Peisey vallandry where there are more trees. The other thing to think about is whether you want to ski mainly in Les arcs or in La plagne as well. If you want to ski both resorts again the Vallandry area would be a good base but it would have less in the way of apres ski and could be a bit icy at the bottom in a poor snow year as I think Vallandry is at 1500 or 1600 metres. On balance we like staying in 2000 but my favourite runs are the tree lined reds in the vallandry area. There is also night time skiing in the arc 1950 / 2000 area twice a week which my teens enjoyed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We as a family did Christmas at 1950, but given it was nearly 25 years ago, I'm not sure how relevant our experience was. We got a good deal, our apartment was lovely and much more akin to what you would get in The States.

On the up side, it was very "Christmassy"; everything was "a stone's throw" from the accommodation and it was ski in/ski out.

On the downside - which almost certainly doesn't apply now - is that all the restaurants were fully booked up for the full week and the ski hire shops were so chaotic, that people were helping themselves. We ended up taking the passenger lift up to Arc 2000 and hiring there, as though busy, had a sensible system.

The snow was poor that year, so the Blacks down from the Glacier were shut - but we were glad we were so high up. It started snowing on the day we were leaving. Typical. Evil or Very Mad

If you don't mind spending the premium, it would be imv the "nicest" place to be......but I think I'm with those who say, save the money and stay at Arc 2000.

I also really like Arc 1800, but have never been there over Christmas. There should be more of a social life going on (if that's a factor) as it's much bigger. It is lower, but handy for the trees at Vallendry.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 22-04-23 17:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Elsie80, We have stayed more or less every Christmas for the last 20 years in Arc1600. The Christmas eve celebrations appear to be the normla in all French ski resort: torch light descents, free vin chaud, santa arrival, expensive meals in restaurants and often a firework display (the scrooge in me means I hear it rather than be bothered to go out and watch). Christmas day is just a normal day with no parades etc. The largely British 1950 may be different on Christmas day.

IMHO either 1800 or 1950 would be fine, though check where you are staying in 1800; some of the accommodation is a long way from the lifts. All I can add is if the snowfall is heavy the Arc 2000 valley can be closed down and you'd need to get the navette around to 1600. 1800 is more weather resilient. The Vanoise express is one lift away from both 1950 and 1800, but it is easier to get back to 1800.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy