Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

February France Skiing Short Trip

Poster: A snowHead
Hey!

I am trying to plan a short ski trip second week of Feb and would really welcome some advice and recommendations! I'm not am overly keen skier but my partner is so we are looking at maybe 2 days of skiing. I had an initial plan of flying to Grenoble and staying in Grenoble and getting a bus/coach/taxi to a resort to ski for the day and then spending a day or two in Grenoble as well.

Has anyone does this before please and have recommendations of ski resorts that have beginner and intermediate slopes that is accessible from Grenoble?

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's going to be busy and expensive snowHead - school holidays. Could you go the first week in February? Davidof, who knows those resorts well, will probably be along in a minute. Meanwhile, welcome to SHs.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If staying in Grenoble look at the Skiligne bus offers. For an intermediate, Les 7 Laux is a good option, there are 6 resorts served by Skiligne.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you both for your advice, sadly can't do any earlier due to our work schedules. I will take a look into Skiligne for transport and at Les 7 Laux, thank you very much.

Any other advice would be great Eh oh! previous ski trips we have booked packages and have to be Les Deux Alps and Courcheve

Thanks again!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Yyhsas, do you know Grenoble? personally I wouldn't have rated it as that interesting for a city break but then I'm not really a city break person. In your situation I would hire a car, stay in Annecy which is beautiful and maybe ski at La Clusaz
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rambotion wrote:
@Yyhsas, do you know Grenoble? personally I wouldn't have rated it as that interesting for a city break but then I'm not really a city break person. In your situation I would hire a car, stay in Annecy which is beautiful and maybe ski at La Clusaz

+1 Annecy and La Clusaz are both very picturesque
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For beginner / intermediate skiing near Grenoble I'd rather go to Chamrousse than Les 7 Laux. You could also consider the Espace Villard-Corrençon if snow is good.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Yyhsas, fly to Salzburg, far cheaper than France and a beautiful city compared to Grenoble, skiing very close
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
luigi wrote:
rambotion wrote:

+1 Annecy and La Clusaz are both very picturesque

Thank you both, I have looked into Grenoble and for a day of walking around and exploring a new city it would fit our interests, coffee and food!

I will look into both of those areas, trying to make it as simple as possible so a bus/coach may be easier for us than driving but I will definitely look as from your description then sound stunning!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ribblevalleyblue wrote:
@Yyhsas, fly to Salzburg, far cheaper than France and a beautiful city compared to Grenoble, skiing very close

Thank you, where you would recommend skiing near Salzburg? Thanks again Eh oh!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yyhsas wrote:
ribblevalleyblue wrote:

@Yyhsas, this current thread might be of interest:
Salzburg Day Trip? - Opinions on where to go
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166543
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yyhsas wrote:
ribblevalleyblue wrote:

Great idea if it doesn't have to be France and the flights aren't booked!! Salzburg is a beautiful city Cool

Skiing for a keen skier at Dachstein West ski area, you can start at Russbach, Annaberg or Gosau...very pretty area...

https://www.bergfex.com/gosau/panorama/

At Gosau there's a beautiful lake side walk at Vorderer Gosausee, right next to the lift that goes up to the ski area:

Hallstatt is near to Gosau too:

Not sure about public transport options that way though...a car would definitely be easier for the ski part.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 3-12-23 14:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to stick to public transport then Zell am See would be a good option, a direct train from Salzburg goes there. A nice variety of runs directly above the town and a pretty, historic town to look around for non-skiers too......tons nicer than Grenoble and Chamrousse... Laughing

https://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/austria-ski-holidays/zell-am-see/

https://www.bergfex.com/schmittenhoehe-zellamsee/

The easiest runs are near the top along the shoulder of the mountain, great views and nice lunch stops up there. The valley runs are steeper, but you can always download back to town at the end of the day.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 3-12-23 14:40; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Salzburg in the wintertime snowHead snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sun 3-12-23 14:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's 1h30 on the train from Salzburg to Zell am See, costs €15-20pp.

Also, as Salzburg Airport is right on the edge of the city, its a cheap 20min bus ride into the city or an even quicker taxi hop.

Grenoble airport is a long way out of town.
latest report
Sorted!! 3 nights Zell, 1 night Salzburg Cool

Day1: fly to Salzburg, get bus/taxi to train station, catch fast train down to Zell in time to get ski equipment.

Day2: ski/shop in Zell

Day3: ski/spa day in Zell

Day4: mid morning train to Salzburg, check in to hotel, have a wander around old town and a nice meal out

Day5: bus/taxi to airport and home

snowHead snowHead
snow report
luigi wrote:

Day1: fly to Salzburg, get bus/taxi to train station, catch fast train down to Zell in time to get ski equipment.

Day4: mid morning train to Salzburg, check in to hotel, have a wander around old town and a nice meal out

snowHead snowHead

Thank you so much! I can't believe how helpful you all are in this forum I appreciate it so much. I think you may have all sold me on Austria!

This looks like a perfect itinerary and would offer us the best of both for skiing and a beautiful city to explore too!

I will get googling and planning!
ski holidays
@Yyhsas, I’ve done that journey, I went solo a few years ago and need to keep transfer costs down. It’s a very easy journey and scenic which adds to the trip. I stayed in Kaprun as it was late November and needed to ski on the glacier from Kaprun. Zell is a significantly nicer place to stay.
snow conditions
Yyhsas wrote:
luigi wrote:

snowHead snowHead

Thank you so much! I can't believe how helpful you all are in this forum I appreciate it so much. I think you may have all sold me on Austria!

This looks like a perfect itinerary and would offer us the best of both for skiing and a beautiful city to explore too!

Just a suggestion! Hopefully you can find some availability that suits your dates.

You ideally need to be fairly near the CityXpress lift in Zell and somewhere not too far from the station in Salzburg, perhaps in the new town on the north bank of the river and easy walk across the river into old town on south bank

These might be good spots for you:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/feinschmeck.en-gb.html? On edge of old town in Zell, but only 5mins from station and 3mins to CityXpress.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/star-inn-salzburg-gablerbra-u.en-gb.html? This one is near Salzburg Old Town

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/austriatrendeuropasalzburg.en-gb.html? This is a modern one nearer to Salzburg station, but maybe easier to do the walk without luggage?

Not specific recommendations, as I've not stayed in any of them, more an indication of a convenient locations, though they do have decent reviews.
snow conditions
luigi wrote:
Yyhsas wrote:
luigi wrote:

snowHead snowHead

Just a suggestion! Hopefully you can find some availability that suits your dates.

You ideally need to be fairly near the CityXpress lift in Zell and somewhere not too far from the station in Salzburg, perhaps in the new town on the north bank of the river and easy walk across the river into old town on south bank

These might be good spots for you:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/feinschmeck.en-gb.html? On edge of old town in Zell, but only 5mins from station and 3mins to CityXpress.

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/star-inn-salzburg-gablerbra-u.en-gb.html? This one is near Salzburg Old Town

https://www.booking.com/hotel/at/austriatrendeuropasalzburg.en-gb.html? This is a modern one nearer to Salzburg station, but maybe easier to do the walk without luggage?

Not specific recommendations, as I've not stayed in any of them, more an indication of a convenient locations, though they do have decent reviews.

@luigi this so helpful, thank you for taking the time to look into this for me. Your expertise is very much appreciated! The idea of the short skiing break no longer seems overwhelming and difficult but now seems very doable!
snow report
luigi wrote:

snowHead snowHead

Zell am See or Zell am Ziller? Puzzled
snow report
Bergmeister wrote:
luigi wrote:

snowHead snowHead

Zell am See or Zell am Ziller? Puzzled

Guess the resort time!?? Laughing

Go back through the thread for some easy to find clues! wink
snow conditions
Yyhsas wrote:

@luigi this so helpful, thank you for taking the time to look into this for me. Your expertise is very much appreciated! The idea of the short skiing break no longer seems overwhelming and difficult but now seems very doable!

I hope you can find something that suits you. I'm sure you will love it! snowHead
latest report
@luigi I was unaware of Gosau, Rossbach and the scenery in your photos. Stunning.

Upper Austria Tourism … are you in their employ? Smile
latest report
Snow&skifan wrote:
@luigi I was unaware of Gosau, Rossbach and the scenery in your photos. Stunning.

Upper Austria Tourism … are you in their employ? Smile

Still waiting for the cheque!! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Scrunch77 wrote:
Yyhsas wrote:
ribblevalleyblue wrote:

@Yyhsas, this current thread might be of interest:
Salzburg Day Trip? - Opinions on where to go
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166543

Munich for the reasons above and cheaper than salzburg for both flights and accommodation loads of skiing within an hour or so
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy