Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to get to Geneva from Zermatt via Val d’isere and Courchevel in 4 days

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there
We are travelling from Milan to Zermatt later this month, probably via train. From Zermatt we are going to Val D’isere for a lunch before heading onto Courchevel for 2 nights then on to Geneva.
My question is… what is our best option for transport?
I think private transfers will cost over 1000 euros which is a bit crazy.. and public transport will more than double the time required. Is hiring a car the best option?
Will hire cars have snow tyres (dont want to have to fit my own chains etc)
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thisskilife wrote:
Hi there
We are travelling from Milan to Zermatt later this month, probably via train. From Zermatt we are going to Val D’isere for a lunch before heading onto Courchevel for 2 nights then on to Geneva.
My question is… what is our best option for transport?

Helicopter, obviously.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hire a car with winter tyres but that won't mean you don't also have to fit chains if it's really snowy. Even if you think you are bomb proof the gendarmes might insist. And if course you hope it will be really snowy, don't you?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Drop the lunch , stupid idea . It’s 5 to 6 hrs by car from Zermatt to Val 1.30 hrs Val to Courchevel , BTW you pass Courchevel to go to Val. Zermatt to Courchevel is 4/5 hrs via Megeve etc short route .

Only plausible by Helicopter .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rob Mackley wrote:
Drop the lunch , stupid idea

Indeed.
And start praying you won't have snowfall.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd be surprised if it is only E1000 for a private transfer. It's a minimum 700k round trip for the taxi driver. If the snow is bad and the Col Des Montets shuts, it's over 1000km.

Car rental would require you to get to somewhere with rental cars (not Zermatt!) - possibly Sion. Then a 300-500k drive to Val. And pay some egregious one-way fee to drop at GVA.

I'm not sure how you can make this trip work at all, without spending most of your time in a car. Is each of Zermatt, Val and Courchevel so deeply compelling that you can't drop 1 or 2 of them? Or is this a social media "photos in all resorts" type trip?

I agree with @Rob Mackley, this is really only workable with private air travel. I reckon E5k for a chopper (you can save E1k by going single-engine, but do you really want to fly across the highest region of the alps with only one engine?), which is what GVA-Courchevel costs, and is a similar distance vs Zermatt-Val
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Thisskilife, I've done this journey the other way round and your best bet is to use Geneva airport as a transport hub. Get an early morning transfer (or trains) from Zermatt to Geneva and then another transfer from the airport to Val D. But it's about 4 hours GVA to Val D so I don't know if transfers would run early enough to be in resort for lunch. You've then also got the hassle of the subsequent transfers, so it would be better to do car hire at GVA.

Drive to Courchevel from Val D, back to GVA and trains back to Milan from there. Make sure it's an unlimited mileage agreement on the car hire, you could easily go over one if it's just for 3 days. GVA (Swiss side) hire cars have snow tyres, if you also rent 4wd you'd be very unlucky to get stuck or need chains.

Actually I've just seen that your plan is to go to Geneva after Courchevel anyway, so it's a no-brainer. Pick up a hire car in Geneva early morning on lunch day and you're good to go (subject to French farmers blocking the roads!)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy