Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Skis Base Profile

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst preparing my Volkl M5 skis for my trips this season I noticed that towards the tips and the tail the base is not completely flat but slightly concave from around 1" in from each edge, this must have been done in the factory as they have not been on a grinding machine. Why are the bases profiled like this as I have never come across this before on all the Volkl skis that I have owned.

This is particularly noticeable when removing the wax with a 5mm Perspex scraper and I have to use a 3mm thick one to be able to bend it to get into the concave section to try as best I can to remove the wax. Even after skiing for a week I can still see the difference where the wax has not been fully removed even though I used a nylon brush followed by a horsehair brush after waxing.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Some skis will have a slight concave shape at the contact point of the tips, I think this is what you are describing. The ski is designed this way to allow the edge close to the tip to engage slightly quicker.

This will give you a more demanding and sharper handling ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for you informative reply and yes that is what I was referring to.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Tykebike, I think the answer from NoMap is confusing camber with concavity in the base (to which you refer). It is a recognised issue see

https://www.slidewright.com/base-flattener-structuring-plane/

https://theskimonster.com/blog/posts/ski-construction-a-look-inside-your-skis/

I have junior mantras (2018 model) which have the same issue as yours and I am not worried about it, nor does it cause the skis to be unduly grabby. I think just live with it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not saying it is what has happened in your case, but in my experience some composite kids skis can go concave from waxing with an iron. I noticed it the first time I did a pair I had 5 pairs of same ski. Did the first with an iron and noticed it was concave, checked others and weren't. Did second pair and went concave the same. So did the others with hot air gun and brush and were fine. The two that went concave I clamped down on a surface table and heated tops slightly and they went back flat. I do adult skis all the time, probably wax over 100 skis a year for dry slope so I am experienced at it. No idea how much effect the concavity has on the performance of the ski. I do all the kids skis with hot air gun and brush method now, works just as well and doesn't use as much wax.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valais2 wrote:
@Tykebike, I think the answer from NoMap is confusing camber with concavity in the base (to which you refer). It is a recognised issue see

I think this is something different and not confusing camber and rocker. If you consider rocker and camber to be longitudinal, i.e. along the length of the ski then some skis, particularly powder skis can have a convex or concave profile horizontally. A convex profile is used to help shed snow in wetter conditions. Similarly some skis have concave areas at the tip and tail were the camber starts and ends. The idea, I think, is to make it easier to engage the edges on wider skis icier conditions. I have seen it on multiple pairs of Elan skis straight from the manufacturer, although I think that also might relate to a lot of Elan skis being left and right specific, so each ski has a definite inside and outside edge. I personally don't like it as it makes servicing a pain in the ass.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NoMapNoCompass, very bizarre, never heard of such a thing. And I don't understand the mechanics either (shedding snow when wet?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Convex base is essentially horizontal rocker. One ski that I can immediately think of that has this feature is the DPS Spoon, on the shovel.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yes it looks like that but not as long. How do I add a photo into my posts - usually from a photo stored on a Macbook Pro rather than directly from a phone?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
That is convex though, i.e. base lower at the edges, higher in centre, rather than concave which is lower in centre higher at edges which is what you originally described. They will give the opposite handling characteristics to each other.

To post an image you need to host it somewhere. e.g. https://imgbb.com and the get a link to the jpg and place it within [img] and [/img] markup

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 5-04-23 9:03; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you put the bases of skis together and look down between the tips, how big is the gap in the middle?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ive just been fettling them for winter storage and measured the concavity of each ski at between 6 and 8 thou over a distance of approx 12" at the tip and tail (but not including the tip itself).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
More than you could grind then. I found a thread elsewhere that suggests it is quite common on volkls. I just checked 10 different pairs, völkl deacons has the most but not as much as you, then Salomon Wipro had slightly less, various unused and used junior skis all had some, Id say about 0.5. Only ski that was completely flat to the eye were Rossignol hero st ti.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Your Mantra’s shouldn’t be concave in the tips and tails but unfortunately loads of them (and other models) are like this now. Shame.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crosshatch, why is it happening? Never heard of this before
latest report
It seems to be worse on the large scale production skis, not so much on top end. Only thing I can think of is that they are getting base grind in production before the core is fully cooled and set.
snow conditions
Quite an odd one this - I was just moving some skis around this afternoon so I thought I'd have a quick look. They included Stockly SL and GS, Head SL, some old Salomon twin-tip park skis, my almost-completely worn out Salomon Rocket2s and my wife's Rossi something 100mm all-mountain/powder ski. Not a single one of them had this concavity. The Rocket2s showed a slight hint of daylight between them but inspection confirms that it's old damage and not a consistent gap across the width.

So what's going on to cause this? Is my sample just atypical, or is there something people are doing while servicing to cause it? I notice one poster earlier who put it down to hot waxing, which I could just about believe, but to my mind you'd need to be getting the ski almost hot enough to soften the whole base material - when I hot wax I'm always careful not to overheat it, as long as the wax is properly liquid for that fraction of a second while you're ironing it in it's good enough for me.
snow report
Sorry I made a mistake earlier, 6-8 thou is about 0.15-0.2 mm which you could grind off, correct me if I'm wrong. My volkls are worse than that.
ski holidays
From this article...

https://www.thepisteoffice.com/index.php/1-tuning-advice/tuning-guide/9-base-tuning

"Caution: Many modern wider skis do have a slightly concave base towards the tip & tail which should not be ground flat – a 10/15mm flat section down the outside edges of the p-tex is all that’s required."

This is a design 'feature' on some modern skis - I am not a fan. As I said earlier, Elan skis I have owned had weirdness like this, more so on the asymmetric skis which have a left and a right and hence specific inside and outside edges. As a general rule if there are specific areas of concavity at the tip and tail close to the limits of the camber then it is by design.
snow report
@under a new name, they are like it from new, straight out of the wrapper. Good light and a proper true bar will back this up. I’ve seen loads of skis like this from new over the years, including those made by Salomon, Atomic, Head, Nordica, Blizzard, Volkl and probably others too.

The factory grind/structure pattern on Volkl’s freeride skis (Mantra and Kendo for example) is quite smooth and plain (to look at and touch), compared to their piste skis which usually have a much more defined and diagonal pattern cut into the base.

When looked at closely, this smoother pattern on skis like the Mantra is consistent and uniform across the entirety of the base material (edge to edge, tip to tail), even in the concave tip and tail areas. This indicates that the concave spots have somehow occurred after the ski has been ground in the factory, simply because it wouldn’t be possible to grind an even finish on the base if it was “warped” before it was ground.

As to why they are like this, we can only speculate and guess, but I certainly wouldn’t believe a manufacturer trying to justify this fairly obvious defect with marketing BS.
latest report
@crosshatch, how very odd. I must admit I haven't serviced my own skis since well back in the last century. And really not paid much attention since!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy