Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rights with flight cancellations

Poster: A snowHead
So if your flights is cancelled within 7 days trying to check my rights

Googling I am not 100% clear - I don't really want to leave it in the hands of my airline frankly.

So I have flights booked from Heathrow to Munich next weekend

With security strikes in Germany going on and T5 Heathrow, if it gets cancelled I am thinking would like to switch to BA flights to Salzburg from Southampton.

So if I just book those immediately on cancellation being issued am I able to claim full cost of those new tickets directly from Lufthansa? Am I entitled to extra cost of transfer (if charged extra) by tansfer firm? I am hoping UK end would not charge extra as Southampton is much closer.

I have business class tickets so can I book the same? Doing so will ensure no issues with baggage.

Or am I obligated to phone airline and ask them to make booking?

Just trying to get ready to grab last remaining seats ahead of others!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having searched for seats in BA from Heathrow to either Innsbruck and Salzburg it is saying there are none when looking for us all (I was surprised at any a couple of days ago given saw articles saying Heathrow had asked airlines to stop sellinh sears due to impending strikes)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’m afraid I don’t know the legal side and there is at least one mistake on the CAS site here
https://www.caa.co.uk/passengers/resolving-travel-problems/delays-and-cancellations/cancellations/

However, I would always contact the airline first.

It is worth while having an app that can give you notifications before the airline emailing a change of flight.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strikes would be beyond the control of the airline if the staff are 3rd party, so probably not entitled to compensation.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gored, but am I entitled to extra costs for alternative flight and extra incurred costs ie extras charged for transfer assuming it is charged by transfer company?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
In an article about the strikes over next 48hrs Lufthansa are saying

Quote:

Lufthansa has “strongly advised” customers not to travel during the affected times and, due to the sheer number of cancellations, warned that it “will not be able to offer solutions for all passengers”.

“Unfortunately, we will not be able to offer any short-term solutions,” the carrier said in a statement. “As massive strikes in the public transport areas and at Deutsche Bahn are also to be expected on Monday, there is a risk that you will not be able to leave the airport again.”

Right now one way flights from Southampton to Salzburg costs more than 1.5 times what I paid for my return flights as booked early. This is why I want to leap on flights as if they get cancelled there will be lots of people fighting for those last few seats, I want to do all I can to be the "lucky one"
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@NickyJ, Phone BA and ask to be pout on one of the 7 Lufthansa flights to MUC if only one of the the BA flights are cancelled. Or ask to be put on the BA Citiflyer from Southampton.

You can even ask for an alternative mode of transport so I don't see why you could use the same mode to a separate destination.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I guess that if you make alternative arrangements you have to take the risk that some, or all, of the additional costs will not be refunded.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@GlasgowCyclops, I have Lufthansa flights. They don't fly direct UK to Austria (that I have found). If the flight is cancelled it will be because all Munich flights are cancelled.

There are 3 viable airports for my holiday and 2 are in Austria.

But those other routes are served by BA....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I guess that if you make alternative arrangements you have to take the risk that some, or all, of the additional costs will not be refunded.

That is what I am trying to work out what do I have rights to.... and what may come out of my pocket.

So I can makr my peace with it. We can't just go a few weeks later and even getting rolled forwards to next year isn't useful ad Easter isnt happening for us due to it being A-level exam year
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NickyJ wrote:
@GlasgowCyclops, I have Lufthansa flights. They don't fly direct UK to Austria (that I have found). If the flight is cancelled it will be because all Munich flights are cancelled.

There are 3 viable airports for my holiday and 2 are in Austria.

But those other routes are served by BA....

And reason for hoping to avoid phoning is will lead to a delay as MANY others will also be impacted
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't blame you trying to get something together, @NickyJ, I'd do the same, but I imagine it won't be possible to get any guarantees of compensation until after you have to make the decisions.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@NickyJ, very frustrating! I don't think you can do anything until the existing flights are actually cancelled, I'm afraid. Probably worth contacting Lufthansa pro-actively but also probably they won't do anything.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pam w, thanks.

Actually wise snowheads. Any sensible land routes? Coach or train, to get to Mayrhofen?

Just thinking of other fallbacks.

Hopefully this will all not be needed but I would much rather have back plans ready to kick into action
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@NickyJ, can you fly indirectly on a Lufthansa group airline into Salzburg e.g. via Frankfurt (or Zurich or anywhere really) with 2nd leg on e.g. Austrian?
snow conditions
Is driving out of the question? That would be my fallback, but I realise it's different with kids!
ski holidays
@NickyJ, also, do you know whether strike action is likely next weekend?
ski holidays
NickyJ wrote:
@Gored, but am I entitled to extra costs for alternative flight and extra incurred costs ie extras charged for transfer assuming it is charged by transfer company?

This is from your link:-
Code:
This depends on what caused the cancellation – if it wasn’t the airline’s fault, don’t expect to receive any compensation.

Disruptions caused by things like extreme weather, airport or air traffic control employee strikes or other ‘extraordinary circumstances’ are not eligible for compensation.

Not sure how you can expect BA to compensate you for events beyond their control, as much as yours. You are both victims.

I have had had a delayed flight & missed pre-booked train journey. I was not entitled to any financial help in the losses for the value of those tickets as well as having to purchase another train ticket.
On the other side of the coin, I have been delayed due to bad weather & landed at another airport. The airline took responsibility and ran busses for everyone on the flight to the airport we supposed to have arrived at.
latest report
@NickyJ, it may well be worth looking at any travel insurance policy you may have to see if they cover industrial action.

just checked mine with Direct Line, as we are travelling out next Thursday with Brittany ferries, and my youngest is flying out with EasyJet to Geneva on the Sunday.

it does state that my policy is covered for cancellations and abandonment due to any industrial action, as long as the policy was taken out/purchased before any action was announced.
fortunately my policy was purchased some time ago, but i am hoping (all limbs crossed Toofy Grin ) i do not need to use it.

as i am driving i am keeping an eye out on any fuel issues in france(E10 for me), but am planning to take a couple of 5litre cans with me, to use in worst case scenario!!

also, there was mention of an app on another thread, Tripcase, i think you put in your flight details beforehand and if any disruptions occur it tells you what you are entitle to instantly (but i may be mistaken Puzzled ), and it sends you notifications about the flight

i have downloaded it on to my phone, and entered my daughters flight details as a saved trip

hope all goes well for you
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@pam w, thanks.

Actually wise snowheads. Any sensible land routes? Coach or train, to get to Mayrhofen?

Just thinking of other fallbacks.

Hopefully this will all not be needed but I would much rather have back plans ready to kick into action

Is flying to Zurich an option for you? You can get a train to St Anton from there, so maybe getting to Mayhofren is doable?
Venice/Verona? - I guess you do an open jaw flights & still return home from Munich.
ski holidays
@Gored, thats rhe thinking. Thanks will add to my mitigation plans Smile
latest report
@terrygasson, cheers will check wording. Have annual policy
snow report
pam w wrote:
Is driving out of the question? That would be my fallback, but I realise it's different with kids!

No as stuff doesnt fit in car with a range greater than 100miles and right now that car isnt charging at all and about to start googling that problem Laughing
snow report
NickyJ wrote:

Are strikes all over Germany or just Bavaria?
Going to throw Frankfurt out there as an option with a long train ride!
latest report
Gored wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Happening in a number of german airports from what I am reading. Hence looking at routes not via Germany
latest report
OK
Well that rules out North, so Zurich to the West, Verona & Venice to the South, Vienna to the East Very Happy
latest report
@NickyJ, in order of easiness:
Lufthansa rebooks you on Lufthansa metal, via another airport
Lufthansa rebooks you on star alliance metal probably via another airport
Lufthansa rebooks you on non-alliance metal. I’ve never had a lufty cancellation so I don’t know whether they do this - with BA it’s really hard to get booked on non-oneworld airlines, even as a frequent flyer.

If you’re looking for alternatives, I’d suggest being creative around star alliance airlines with alternative routings, rather than expecting lufty to put you on BA.
snow conditions
@snowdave, my experience as well. Also LH in my one experience unhappy to rebook me on their own flight even when it was very clear they would otherwise be booking me a hotel in Stockholm or Munich rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

am sure i have read somewhere else that most of public transport in Germany is affected by the strikes, not just airports.
ski holidays
@snowdave, ah thanks. Will check out those, basically thats Swiss and Austrian isnt it?
ski holidays
@NickyJ, or Eurowings f’rinstance.
ski holidays
Checking all sorts of flights very few 1st April flights to Austria that can be booked for 4. Including looking much further from our home.

Insurance looks ok for cover but does say that Credit card is jointly liable as airline and must be tried first.

Given lack of seats and BA having 24hr cancellation thinking book those seats as soon as get notice if any cancellation. Then phone Lufthansa and try and get an answer along with MANY others who will be in same boat....

I have a plan at least. Now hoping that it doesn't happen!
ski holidays
They should pay for all extra re-routing costs/expenses , whether you or they book it.No additional compensation as its Strikes

We got caught out in the recent French air strikes, flight cancelled the evening before we were due to fly home Lyon-Gatwick with Easyjet.

Couldn't get through to the call centre , the app would only let us swap flights to another French Airport ( No point if they are on strike ).
So booked Geneva-Gatwick also with EJ . Double the cost of our original flight and informed Europcar we would be returning the hire car to Geneva instead .
On our return I filled out the EJ expenses claim form and got the Flight money back within a few days.

Europcar charged us 89euro oneway fee as we were returning the car to a different airport . EJ rejected this claim as the Hire car was prebooked , but there was no where on the EJ claim form to show this was an additional cost on top of our original booking . So I have now gone to the next stage to recover the costs https://www.aviationadr.org.uk/

When claiming make sure you have all your original + new booking details/invoices etc
latest report
@wasley, brilliant. Thankyou!
snow report
@NickyJ, in terms of a lost transfer (to Mayrhofen) I presume insurance would cover it. My son and friends were re-sheduled on a later flight by BA to Geneva last Saturday. Baggage didn't arrive with them and came on an even later flight so they ended up taking an Uber to Les Arcs (v. expensive). I'm guessing that will be an insurance claim but will post when I know what BA offer them.
ski holidays
@wasley, I had a similar situation years ago with easyJet. They tried every trick to not pay, submitted just enough to extend every deadline. I kept on it and I think about 8 months later when it was due to goto court they paid the costs I’d incurred.

@NickyJ, We flew back from Innsbruck yesterday, all flights delayed due to the French atc strikes but not many cancelled. Friends flew late night from Zurich on Fri, that was cancelled and BA rebooked them onto the next days flight (which was delayed 3 hours)

I don’t think you can claim any compensation if strikes caused a cancellation. Suspect I’d drive as plan B given all the delays I saw yesterday
ski holidays
@kitenski, our vehicles aren't suitable for that unless we don't take skis and limit what we take
snow conditions
@NickyJ, how much for car hire from the UK with permission to take abroad? I've had to do that once for a camping trip when our car had a major problem
snow report
NickyJ wrote:
@snowdave, ah thanks. Will check out those, basically thats Swiss and Austrian isnt it?

Austrian Airlines talking about strikes Easter weekend..
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
NickyJ wrote:

Austrian Airlines talking about strikes Easter weekend..

Oh great
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy