Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

skishotsale is it a scam site?

Poster: A snowHead
A Google search threw up this website, https://www.skishotsale.com/ski-boots-k2-mindbender-130-lv-black-blue-orange-cut-price/

It looks far too good to be true to me, has anyone came across this site before?

Their contact us address points to the Stratford shopping centre, I'm tempted to pop over to check!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
assuming it is in the Shopping centre , then why is not here?
https://www.stratfordshopping.co.uk/stores/
except that there is no disclaimer , legal notice or how is it in English
In GeR is Impressum.
They advice that on line shops without that are always scam
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
turms2 wrote:
assuming it is in the Shopping centre , then why is not here?
https://www.stratfordshopping.co.uk/stores/
except that there is no disclaimer , legal notice or how is it in English
In GeR is Impressum.
They advice that on line shops without that are always scam

That's true, didn't think to check the stores directory, saved me a trip. Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Site reeks of fraud, and Scamadviser gives it a score of 7/100
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tip - read the T&Cs
LLC plastered everywhere.
No such thing in the UK - its Ltd.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gored wrote:
Tip - read the T&Cs
LLC plastered everywhere.
No such thing in the UK - its Ltd.

You can operate an LLC in the UK as an offshore company. The T&C uses American spelling and says you can call them on CST (central standard time), which is American

I wouldn't touch it
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes it is a scam site.

And I haven't even had to look at it to know that.

How to spot a scam site:
1. someone on mumsnet, pistonhead, snowheads, bikeradar posts a post saying "prices too good to be true"
2. it looks like a cookie cutter site that gets spun up in a few minutes
3. it has a long domain name
4. the domain is new
5. the physical address is fake
6. the contact phone is fake

I'm sure someone can post many more red flags
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scamadvisor definitely has is doubts about the website.

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-website/skishotsale.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@luanb, why would you think it was NOT dodgy?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@luanb, why would you think it was NOT dodgy?

Hope and optimism? Razz
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@luanb, if it looks too good to be true ...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@luanb, if it looks too good to be true ...

Indeed, which was why I asked..lol.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Question is, why does it come up high on google search? Did the scammers figured out how to game google’s search engine?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@abc,
No, it's because 1000's of snowheads are curious wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
musher wrote:
@abc,
No, it's because 1000's of snowheads are curious wink

??? Puzzled
snow report
abc wrote:
Question is, why does it come up high on google search? Did the scammers figured out how to game google’s search engine?

what makes you think it does?
latest report
davidof wrote:
Yes it is a scam site.

And I haven't even had to look at it to know that.

How to spot a scam site:
1. someone on mumsnet, pistonhead, snowheads, bikeradar posts a post saying "prices too good to be true"
2. it looks like a cookie cutter site that gets spun up in a few minutes
3. it has a long domain name
4. the domain is new
5. the physical address is fake
6. the contact phone is fake

I'm sure someone can post many more red flags

And you can tell all that without even looking ? I’m impressed
snow conditions
Red Leon wrote:

And you can tell all that without even looking ? I’m impressed

yes because I was giving a general list of red flags for scam sites, as the grammar of my sentence would make clear.
ski holidays
My 2¢ worth - as when I'm not flouncing around the mountains I do website stuff.

It's quite bizarre in that there are various red-flags, but not too outrageous, a lot of copy/paste typos in the T&C's / Privacy Policy etc and the About Us does not read well.

I'm confused because I have delved into the code and there's quite an investment there if it is a scam-site, it's certainly something that's not been "spun up" in a few minutes.

The cart integration with the e-commerce side of things using "woocommerce" is quite technical and then there's the quite substantial inventory behind the site across a range of products - all those assets have to be inputted - there's no easy way of doing it.

I have not attempted to buy anything and see how the tech side of things all integrates with payment channels etc

As for the SEO / Google side of things they've used a WordPress Plugin "Rank Math" which quite frankly really ticks a lot of boxes! But even if you use a plugin there's still a lot of other "stuff" that needs to be done, especially for a new domain/site

I actually couldn't find a tel number, well at least on the Contact Page, address is in London, which clashes with some of the American vocabulary on the site.

I personally wouldn't make any purchases from it, but if someone is really interested, then send them a message from the Contact Form on the site, advising them about this thread and see what the response is Very Happy

PS The Domain was only set up last September

Domain Name: SKISHOTSALE.COM
Registry Domain ID: 2728809109_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.namecheap.com
Registrar URL: http://www.namecheap.com
Updated Date: 2022-09-30T05:55:08Z
Creation Date: 2022-09-30T05:48:01Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2023-09-30T05:48:01Z
PS The domain was only set up last September
latest report
hmmm interesting.
A few weeks back there was a similar post on the MTB forum many of us use.
That was 100% blatantly obvious that it was a scam site.
Just dragged up that old thread, and went to the skihotsale and bikefamous (both dot com, no www), and the similarities are rather striking. You get a "US" site. Clearly using the same cookie cutter site, right down to the identical footers on both sites, with identical (read: "slightly odd") payment type logos.
The www site claims to be in London. The non-www site in Montana or somewhere.

Interesting mix of British and US spellings or terminology. The Bike site claimed to be in US but sold "Tyres" rather than "Tires", which I found particularly strange.

Scam site? very much so.

A lot of effort populating the stock? remember there's a billion people in China for such menial efforts.
latest report
davidof wrote:
abc wrote:

It was on the 1st page when I selected "Shopping" search on Google, maybe the 5th/6th item listed, sandwiched between items from Snowinn and Glisshop.

p.s. It's now top of the list!

snow conditions
On stock lists... you would just find a legitimate ski shop and programmatically grab their stock list. Doing it manually would be daft, as you have to put the effort in once per product list update, and once per scam "shop". If they did it by hand, there would be typos all over it, especially if they don't understand the language and/or sport, which seems likely. Much better to script it.

Here you can see that they scraped the product names and images because they're precisely correct. Those look to have been merged with post-fix text like: "Unique style", or "Half price". The second being funny, because the products with that text are much cheaper than half price, so their programming isn't very sophisticated. I'm sure there are easily purchasable scripts for crims to scrape html or json for stock lists.

You can tell it was built in September 2022 because all the images are in a WordPress upload directory of that date.

The site's pretty ropey, built on a pile of old tat strung together. But it doesn't have to convince technical people, so that's actually not a problem.

Forums like this are a problem for people like http://www.skishotsale.com/ though.
Right now they may be in google, but soon, this will be in there too, and everyone with google will know what they kind of already knew.

--
The interesting thing, to me, is where they pitch the discount. It's got to be cheap enough that punters think they have found a way to beat the system, but not too cheap to make them suspicious.
As @davidof pointed out, if you think it's too good to be true, you know what it is already.

--
Quote:
It's now top of the list!
Top of whose list? What you see is not the same as what everyone else sees, your feed is tailored to you, unless you took specific actions to stop that.
latest report
phil_w wrote:

--
Quote:
It's now top of the list!
Top of whose list? What you see is not the same as what everyone else sees, your feed is tailored to you, unless you took specific actions to stop that.

I guess that's true, even though I'm on a VPN and search using Incognito mode, there are ways for Google to know its me.
snow report
luanb wrote:
davidof wrote:
abc wrote:

It was on the 1st page when I selected "Shopping" search on Google, maybe the 5th/6th item listed, sandwiched between items from Snowinn and Glisshop.

p.s. It's now top of the list!

So not general search.

Yes shopping results are full of scam sites. The shops pay to appear in the results via adwords. Unless it is a reputable shop you can't trust the results and there is no interest from google in cleaning up the results. There is no mechanism to inform google of scam sites.
snow conditions
phil_w wrote:

The site's pretty ropey, built on a pile of old tat strung together. But it doesn't have to convince technical people, so that's actually not a problem.

it convinced Weathercam, and he's an expert
ski holidays
all these scams and frauds rely on people being greedy and/or lazy and/or stupid, don't they? There are so many that it only takes a tiny percentage of the population to qualify for the scammers to make money.
ski holidays
all these scams and frauds rely on people being greedy and/or lazy and/or stupid, don't they? There are so many that it only takes a tiny percentage of the population to qualify for the scammers to make money.
latest report
These sites know there is is lots of gullible fools who think they are getting a bargain, just try selling a quality product at a realistic price on Ebay and they try and beat you down. these scammers well know the market they are looking at. As numerous posts as have said( If its too cheap beware).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof wrote:
phil_w wrote:

it convinced Weathercam, and he's an expert

Laughing made me read his post!
snow conditions
I just received an email from roberto somebody, purporting to be gov.uk telling me I'm "eligible to recieve a (£400) discount under the Energy Bill Support Scheme".
ski holidays
I'd expect that a competent scammer (and their SEO suggests competence) would built a framework that could be used to spin-up 100s of sites for different product areas, with the 'stock' built (as suggested above) by screen scraping a similar legitimate site. It looks like all the non-product text is entirely generic (which is another red flag - e.g. for an online shop selling skis, I'd expect something in the shipping text to reference specifics for shipping skis).

It's been quite a few years since I've done anything directly with eCommerce sites, but I expect a lot of legitimate sites and built on standard templates, so it shouldn't be that hard to build a script that could be reused to scape a stock list from a whole range of sites. It's also possible that such a script could have evolved from some legitimate code to script conversion of sites from one platform to WordPress
latest report
pam w wrote:
I just received an email from roberto somebody, purporting to be gov.uk telling me I'm "eligible to recieve a (£400) discount under the Energy Bill Support Scheme".

Lucky you!
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:
On stock lists... you would just find a legitimate ski shop and programmatically grab their stock list. Doing it manually would be daft, as you have to put the effort in once per product list update, and once per scam "shop". If they did it by hand, there would be typos all over it, especially if they don't understand the language and/or sport, which seems likely. Much better to script it.....

That's one feck of an inventory to compile for a scam site and why bother to populate that much stock?

And if they have a program to copy another site's inventory and then link that into the woocommerce engine that's more than a mickey-mouse fudge, and there's some credible back-end scripting going on, chapeau I say!

Like @viv, says there must be ways now

I've done a couple of searches to see what site(s) they could be cloning but there's quite a choice!

However, under ski boots they have a Powerliner Tendy Style now if you Google that, they are the only site to come up for that product, so is that a typo / glitch?

Mind you they haven't been able, or bothered to syphon product descriptions.

As for the site itself, it's built using the Flatsome theme https://flatsome.info/ so a solid template for adaptation used by a lot or sites, and not tat, though does to some degree on the implementation skill sets

And for new sites/domains to do well in General Searches, they have to have what's called a good Domain Authority and that takes a long time to establish with back-links etc and you can't do it in six months - and I'd suggest the Google search algorithms that are for ever-changing will be able to sort the genuine sites out from the scams.

I currently have one site that I've been attempting for a long time to achieve better results even though it's one of the most comprehensive sites there is on travel to Madagascar as we're partners with Air Mada, it's only just recently after offering links to advertisers that our domain authority is going in the right direction, though there are other issues, not least two languages.
latest report
Different products, same old scammers

https://www.shopairquality.com/
https://www.farmranchoffice.com/
https://www.bikecannondale.com/
https://www.petzloutdooor.com/

oh and hotskisale.com French scammeur cousin: https://www.skisolde.com/

I could go on but there are dozens of these cookie cutter sites run by the same person.

But if you want your bank account emptied and your CC details sold on the darkweb then go ahead.

Some of you mamils might find a bargain on BikeCannondale com NehNeh
snow report
pam w wrote:

Or just normal folks who don't really understand how these things work. Which is plenty.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Yup. I was thinking about this the other day in relation to gambling adverts, which are designed to extract money from stupid people. But the adverts strongly suggest it's a "clever" thing to do. The Brexit leave advertising I saw made the same pitch.

I was looking at a crypto scam website, helping a relative not fall for it. The pitch shared some of those features.

I know how double glazing people work, and car salesmen, and car rental desk clerks, and they're all essentially trying to suggest that you'd be stupid if you don't do what they want.

Does anyone know of any books which discuss the ways people can be scammed?
I can think of a few ways, but I'm thinking that someone must have done some work on the psychology of it.
snow report
phil_w wrote:
pam w wrote:
Yup. I was thinking about this the other day in relation to gambling adverts, which are designed to extract money from stupid people. But the adverts strongly suggest it's a "clever" thing to do. The Brexit leave advertising I saw made the same pitch.

I was looking at a crypto scam website, helping a relative not fall for it. The pitch shared some of those features.

I know how double glazing people work, and car salesmen, and car rental desk clerks, and they're all essentially trying to suggest that you'd be stupid if you don't do what they want.

Does anyone know of any books which discuss the ways people can be scammed?
I can think of a few ways, but I'm thinking that someone must have done some work on the psychology of it.

Yes, The Confidence Game: The Psychology of the Con and Why We Fall for It Every Time by Maria Konnikova
snow conditions
luanb wrote:
The Confidence Game: The Psychology of the Con and Why We Fall for It Every Time by Maria Konnikova
thanks, got it [following your recommendation, I mean: thanks for the reference, I downloaded it and look forward to reading it]. I'm just curious if I missed some of the vectors.

More generally, post Brexit there seem to be more weird retailers out there in snow sports, and it's not easy to simply order stuff as some have charges and all that. I tend to check here first, because I'm lazy, so I think that's a good thing forums can do, which "review sites" can't - anyone can buy a review, but it's a bit harder to create a persona here with a posting history. For now, at least wink

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 14-05-23 14:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
phil_w wrote:

I was looking at a crypto scam website, helping a relative not fall for it.

erm, it has the word "crypto" in there, so it is a scam.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy