Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ethiopian Air - Manchester to Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
New option to access the alps from Manchester
https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/11/10/review-ethiopian-airlines-manchester-geneva/
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
An interesting and most likely comfortable option that's for sure. Do they take skis?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Added bonus: If you sign up for sheba miles (their loyalty program) you almost always get upgraded Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Is that using a 737-MAX?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The downside is that you need to go to Manchester
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I travelled with my family Ethiopian airways from London to Nairobi, via Addis Ababa, many years ago. We did have an unscheduled five or 6 hour stopover in Addis, but they bussed us into the city (having taken our passports at gunpoint....)and gave us hotel rooms and a good meal, rather than leaving us sitting in the airport. So we saw a bit of Addis, which was a bonus, enjoyed the lovely climate, and were impressed at being given a family room with 4 beds. We were very tired. Our 2 and 4 year old wouldn't go to sleep, but that wasn't the airline's fault. When they finally fell asleep, back at the airport, waiting to board for Nairobi, the pilot and co-pilot saw we were struggling and carried the two snotty little boys onto the plane. So I have only praise for Ethiopian Airways! Sounds a great way to get to Geneva.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
October 30, Ethiopian Airlines increased its operation between Manchester and Addis Ababa to four flights per week, operating on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.

From this date, all flights from Manchester are operating via Geneva, Switzerland. The airline received a fifth freedom grant earlier this year, which allows it to carry passengers on this flight between two countries that are not Ethiopia, the UK, and Switzerland.

This route departs from Manchester at 18:50 local time, landing in Geneva at 21:40. Then it departs from the Swiss city at 22:40 only to arrive at Addis Ababa at 7:30 local time the next day. Meanwhile, the return service departs from Addis Ababa at 1:15, arriving in Geneva at 6:15 and then departing one hour later before landing in Manchester at 8:05 local time.

The aircraft used for this route
These flights operated via Geneva will offer passengers from Manchester a convenient service to Switzerland, said Ethiopian in a statement. Moreover, Ethiopian will be the only full-service carrier on the route. It will employ its Boeing 787 Dreamliner fleet to fly these routes.

Ethiopian currently operates 19 Boeing 787-8 and eight Boeing 787-9. These have the capacity to carry 270 and 315 passengers in a two-class configuration, according to data by ch-aviation.

Commenting on the new service, Country Manager UK, Mr. Henock Woubishet, said, “We are excited to announce this new route development. While this new service will provide business and leisure travelers, including the traditional Winter Ski market based in the region, a convenient schedule, it also underlines our commitment to providing further connectivity options into the African continent.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
WindOfChange wrote:
The downside is that you need to go to Manchester

You like to live dangerously!! Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/dznRwa9ERqE
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:
Is that using a 737-MAX?
Hmmm, too soon?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poor arrival time unless your going to your own place IMO
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@halfhand, yes.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geoffknight wrote:
Poor arrival time unless your going to your own place IMO

The outbound works well for us (we do have a place in Morzine and it’s a wee bit later than the EJ 1815 flight) - but the return is horrific at 0715!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think this is an existing service from Manchester, via Geneva? In which case, the timings are probably convenient at both ends, but not necessarily the in between stop.
You would probably need to be staying pretty local to Geneva for the times to be convenient. It's a shame the flights are Thursday, as Friday evening / Sunday morning could work quite well for ski holidays. The extra overnight accommodation may be offputting to some.

It seems they have got a new permission to carry passengers just on the European section, so I think they are just trying to fill the seats that are vacant on that leg.
It would be interesting to know how many of such seats would be regularly available.

On the subject of ski carriage, it begs the question of them actually expecting skiers to use the service. It runs all year round, so they are probably just hoping to get a bit of business class and a few tourists.

It will be interesting to find out their reaction the first time someone tries to book skis. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brianatab, Ethiopian has been flying out of Manchester since last year, via Brussels I think. The manager has stated that they are looking for the winter ski market, so ski carriage should be available.
The current announcement on the new flight schedule is under the 'Freedom' flight agreements.
Apparently the load factors are high on the route and that's why the schedule has been enhanced. As has been pointed out the timings are not encouraging for skiers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just booked flights with Ethiopian Airlines to Geneva for the other half to come and visit me in April as i'm out for the whole month.
Considerably cheaper vs Easyjet.
02/04/23-06/04/23 was £192 return, vs Easyjet for similar dates and times at £340. Will see how she finds the flight and report back in April.
snow conditions
@swskier, nice to find a willing guinea pig wink

PS Get her to try to take skis!
ski holidays
@ster, I could make her take skis, but as i'm driving out in my van and taking numerous pairs, it doesn't make much sense. She can go hand luggage only and save any waiting at the conveyor belt.
snow report
@swskier, it was just to see the experience of trying to take skis for us tyre kickers.
snow report
Still flights for MAN>GVA>MAN for Feb half term available. Sat to Sat £250'ish, Sun to Sun £173. Wish I'd have known about this before I booked Mon to Mon with EasyJet and now face the wrath of school for my daughter missing a day Shocked
ski holidays
Feedback on an airport forum from a pax on the Ethiopian MAN - GVA:
"I flew to Geneva on Ethiopian in January for a ski holiday. It was brilliant. On time, £100 to Geneva (return on Jet2). only three of us got off. Free food and drinks and great service. Our bag was waiting for us - the only one on the carousel."
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy