Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Storage of boots

Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure most think it's obvious but just wondering if there are any tips or tricks when storing boots at the end of the season?

Skis are well known, for having a re-sharpen and wax but not sure anything is done for boots..

All I've done is given them a quick spray inside. Light clean outside and all buckles and straps loosely closed and then ski socks placed in the top, to stop stuff getting in them (once the insides have sufficiently dried out from the spray).

Not sure if these are the best things to do or if I've missed anything - just trying to make sure they are stored away as best they can to ensure they work well for next time!

Is it worth putting a light lubricant on the clips? I don't usually bother over summer, but might put a small amount of WD40 on them before heading out next time.

Someone must know best practice or am I over thinking this?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take the liners and footbeds out. Let everything get completely dry (takes a day or two). Footbeds and liners back in, clip up loosely and out back in the box then came in if you have it. Most important is to store in a dry and dark place, sunlight will degrade the plastic over time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, will do!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
1. Lightly do up the buckles

2. Avoid excessive heat or cold

3. Keep away from light

4. Thoroughly dry before storage
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eps, WD40 isn't really a lubricant. It's designed to prevent condensation on missiles. It gets sticky when it dries and attracts grime.

Better off with a little 3-in-1 oil, or silicon spray I think.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Open the zip on the suitcase, put in cupboard
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Remember to take them to a dryslope of snow dome in the summer so they don't forget.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:

This, yes. Provided that they're properly dry and that you loosely did up the buckles before packing nothing more is needed.

under a new name wrote:
@eps, WD40 isn't really a lubricant. It's designed to prevent condensation on missiles. It gets sticky when it dries and attracts grime.

Nearly correct about the WD40 (WD stands for Water Displacement). It can provide some temporary lubrication, but not good for the long term, and its contents are likely to be harmful to any plastic that it touches, which may also be true for any other oil. I've never felt the need to lubricate boot clips, not sure what problem it would be trying to address.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, I'll use a smidge of 3in1 oil or silicon spray - the clips on the boots felt a little resistant to movement, when unclipped.

Just trying to maximise the value from them really.

I always keep them in the upstairs storage area or my wardrobe so they're well away from sunlight Smile

Will definitely look to give them a dusting in the summer on an indoor slope!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Chaletbeauroc, I can't recall where but I heard the most excellent interview with the then CEO of the company that makes WD40 - about its history, etc., and the lengths they go to to prevent fraud. So if you are being pedantic, it's designed to get condensation off of missiles. What does the "40" stand for then, eh? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
....it's designed to get condensation off of missiles.

So only use on Boots if you ski fast enough! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
40th attempt at getting it perfect?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

This, yes. Provided that they're properly dry and that you loosely did up the buckles before packing nothing more is needed.

Call me lazy, I never do the buckles up.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Put a gel-based air freshener (one in a plastic cover) inside each boot prior to storage
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
biddpyat wrote:
40th attempt at getting it perfect?

Yes
latest report
under a new name wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, I can't recall where but I heard the most excellent interview with the then CEO of the company that makes WD40 - about its history, etc., and the lengths they go to to prevent fraud. So if you are being pedantic, it's designed to get condensation off of missiles. What does the "40" stand for then, eh? Twisted Evil
Pedantic, here on SH? Surely not.

It was the 40th formulation that was tried. NehNeh
snow report
zikomo wrote:
Take the liners and footbeds out. Let everything get completely dry (takes a day or two). Footbeds and liners back in, clip up loosely and out back in the box then came in if you have it. Most important is to store in a dry and dark place, sunlight will degrade the plastic over time.

Same here, we leave them with liners out for about a week or so, not specific, just to get thoroughly dry right through the lining material.

Always fine on re use.
ski holidays
I just keep my boots in the bottom of the hotpress, dark, and not too hot.
ski holidays
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

under a new name wrote:

Nearly correct about the WD40 (WD stands for Water Displacement). It can provide some temporary lubrication, but not good for the long term, and its contents are likely to be harmful to any plastic that it touches, which may also be true for any other oil. I've never felt the need to lubricate boot clips, not sure what problem it would be trying to address.

It is a lubricant, mineral oil as I understand it.

Roughly, mineral oil with isopropyl alcohol, butane as propellant. Spray on, alcohol makes it creep and disperse then evaporate to leave v-fine coating of oil wherever it has reached.

I'd use silicone oil if needed for this application, that's IF needed as tney are normally constructed to work without lubricant from materials specification point of view.
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:
Chaletbeauroc wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

You're lazy, really really lazy Very Happy

There's a charge for this service, but you may feel better in yourself now Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
@ski3, Laughing
snow conditions
I seem to remember that back in the day it was recommended to put a quantity of cat litter in an old pair of tights and shove right into each boot. It was meant to draw out any moisture. My boots generally get dried out by other methods nowadays.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's (a bit) better to leave them done up. The plastic will then stay bent to the correct shape
ski holidays
@ski, never had an issue in 30 years of boot owning (not the same boots!)
snow conditions
I always do the buckles up, plus the velcro, but only as loosely as possible.
ski holidays
eps wrote:
All I've done is given them a quick spray inside. Light clean outside and all buckles and straps loosely closed and then ski socks placed in the top, to stop stuff getting in them (once the insides have sufficiently dried out from the spray).

Sprays of what? Is there anything I should be spraying the insides with (or sprinkling with washing soda, or anything) in addition to drying out the linings and footbeds thoroughly?
snow report
I always do up the buckles to the same size as when my feet are in the boots to ensure they keep their shape, same as I do when I put them on the boot rack after skiing each day. Why would you do them up in a different shape/size? Puzzled
ski holidays
CBA taking liners and footbeds out. Spray inside with Fabreze and left in the kitchen for a couple of days to dry out. Boots now loosely clipped up and back in my bag with all my ski clothes. Bag in the loft.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There can sometimes be moisture trapped between the liner and the shell, which can be difficult to dry out without removing the liners (my partner's shells are translucent, and you can see water droplets around the toes). However, beyond wiping the mud off and not storing damp things, I think anything else is overthinking.
snow conditions
Mine are lying where I left them on Jan 18 (under floor heating) after doing my knee in. They'll stay exactly there until we move house, hopefully in the Autumn.
ski holidays
jmr59 wrote:
eps wrote:

Sprays of what? Is there anything I should be spraying the insides with (or sprinkling with washing soda, or anything) in addition to drying out the linings and footbeds thoroughly?

Shoe fresh spray sort of stuff... Not really sure if/what the name is!!
snow conditions
Liners out for an air, for a couple of days. Soles out as well. They all look in decent condition still. There was a little condensation in there.

Shells wiped down and ready for the liners to go back in. Will do up the clips and straps as loosely as possible and then store in a cupboard.

Will look to get them out in summer, if MK or Hemel have a special offer.

I may well sell the boots on and look to get some fitted. We're 10 minutes down the road from cem.
snow report
I've never sprayed them with anything. If the liners and footbeds are thoroughly dried can't see the need.

Taking liners and footbeds out and putting them back in takes seconds. I do so most days when out skiing.

Kids have Wedze/Decathlon boots at the minute and they are a nightmare - get wetter/damper and take longer to dry out.
snow conditions
Board booties:
Dry thoroughly.
Leave in spare room/office for when I get all misty eyed so I can put them on, strap in to the knackered old board in the garage and jump about on a drainpipe in the garden on a sunny day pretending I can olly/nolly, 180, tail/nose press and anything else I faintly remember (from youtube vids of course, not me actually doing them!) snowHead

Ski boots:
Dry thoroughly, easier with liners out than in.
Do up buckles and velcro loosely.
Put back in box they came in. Tuck in well and tell them to enjoy the hibernation.
Do not put in loft unless loft is very well insulated, the idea is to minimise temperature variance.
Bottom of wardrobe or dark cupboard is ok.
The main purpose of this has nothing to do with plastic, ski boots are very temperamental things, if they find out the board boots get to come out in the summer there'll be hell to pay when I try to put them on again! Laughing
ski holidays
Put in boot bag, zip up, put boot bag in cave. Next season reverse process. Simples!
snow report
@eps, …just to add a further thing…

Yes regarding liners and footbeds out and dried thoroughly.

Yes to reassembling when completely dry and then storing in cool dry place with buckles lightly done up to prevent compressing liners

Thing I would add …

Feet have 250,000 sweat glands. That’s a nasty thought but a stark reality. 250,000 of anything is a lot. Bacteria love sweat. They also love the hot dampness in ski boots.

We dust the inside with athlete’s foot powder after thoroughly drying the boots and liners.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy