Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking ski bag as large bag

Poster: A snowHead
I would be interested if anyone has done this,. A large hold bag is 23kg size (length + width + height) must be under 275cm.. My ski bag comes in at 260cm. So if booked in as large hold u would gain 3kg for £1 Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, it works fine. No one enforces that specific rule. You will have to check it in (get it tagged), then drop the bag at the outsize check in. So long as it's under the weight limit it's all good.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Which airline @Dutch Carl?

EDIT: just seen you've posted on an EasyJet thread, so presumably it's them?

In theory, there's no reason not to do as you suggest, but much like when people put two skis / boards in one bag, I guess the risk you're really taking is if something goes wrong and they refuse to cover replacement, be it temporary or permanent.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dutch Carl wrote:
...length + width + height) must be under 275cm..

Are you sure there isn't a clause like "but max length/single dimension under..."

With automated bag drop you'll probably be OK (though one staff member at Manchester told me to go to manual drop for ski-bag, only for another to say "ignore her"). Might not be as easy at Geneva where they can be picky at times.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No single item can weigh more than 32kg. Maximum total size (length + width + height) must be under 275cm.
This is from there web site
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
With EasyJet - I took on my ski bag as usual hold luggage for about 3/4 years without issue, then a couple of years ago, they demanded I book it in as sports luggage - and pay for it. Of course I was furious and showed them their dimensions rule, but they weren't having in it. Unfortunately this about 2 weeks before covid outbreak in Ischgl, so I had no chance of making a complaint.
They were always quite surprised I booked it on as standard luggage and not sports...
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Maximum total size (length + width + height) must be under 275cm.

Quote:

My ski bag comes in at 260cm

so your ski bag needs to meet the equaton 260 + X + Y < 275

Unless it's very narrow and very shallow, it won't meet that - take away the 260 length and you only have 14 cm to play with for the depth and width
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@nbt, I suspect the 260 quoted is the result after doing the Math .....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@albob, that's a good point, 260 would be seriously long even for 1970s style skinny straight skis
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@albob, @nbt, have you seen @Dutch Carl's, skis!

(They're big... but maybe not quite that big)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes after the maths. Skis over 8 feet. Umm I'd definitely get out of the way
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How do ski jumpers fly with their skis, has anyone checked, they must 8ft long rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Never had a problem with a double bag with one pair of skis and all my kit weighing 23kg (except helmet in hand baggage).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ve done it with a Dakine snowboard bag and the weight wasn’t a big issue. It’s not a great solution for me though as I’m not much over 5 feet tall and dragging the bag around gave me shoulder and back issues.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Raven, chuck the bag on a baggage trolley and push about like normal luggage.

I used to book my ski bag in as large sports equipment (as a hang glider I think) because then you get 32kg, but I started getting push back for one trip and realised it only takes one jobsworth (of which there appear to be many in aviation)
ski holidays
SnoodyMcFlude wrote:
@Ravenbut I started getting push back for one trip and realised it only takes one jobsworth (of which there appear to be many in aviation)

This made me smile Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
am reading this thread with interest, i have an easyJet return flight to GVA this December and i wondered about the baggage dimension rules, as my ski bag measures 270cm altogether (190cm+50cm+30cm) 5cm within the max dims for hold luggage.

so i called EasyJet today to see if it can be allowed as a 23kg hold bag, but was told it would need to be checked in as a ski bag. The call centre operative could not tell me why this would be the case, as in theory you could check in a bag that is the same size, but if it is not carrying skis, they would not care!!

which seems to be the case for BA, i flew back from GVA to London with them Christmas before last and to them luggage is luggage, as long within set dims. when i made this trip, i flew out with Easyjet from Gatwick and I paid for the oversize sports bag as it gave a generous weight allowance for an extra few quid.
I may go down this route again, but as mentioned before it all depends on who is sitting on the check-in desk as the computer may say NO, especially at GVA!!
snow report
BA have the best ski carriage policy, in that they don't have one. Just bring an oblong bag < 23kg. Job done. We took five pairs + boots in BA economy this year no problem.

But I'm put off the other full service airlines, like SWISS and SAS, as they seem more ambiguous. As for the 'budget' airlines, you may as well hire skis for what they charge.
snow report
HilbertSpace wrote:
BA have the best ski carriage policy, in that they don't have one. Just bring an oblong bag < 23kg. Job done. We took five pairs + boots in BA economy this year no problem.

But I'm put off the other full service airlines, like SWISS and SAS, as they seem more ambiguous. As for the 'budget' airlines, you may as well hire skis for what they charge.

There is nothing ambiguous about SAS. We've just booked with them to fly from Heathrow to Tromso, via Oslo and paid only £24 return to check-in a ski bag AND take a large hand luggage bag (ie on 4 flights) Very Happy .

When you add luggage to the booking you are required to describe the luggage type, from a drop down menu - and one of the bag types is "skis." Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy